Can one bad guest review on Airbnb ruin the future chances to book a room?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Can one bad guest review on Airbnb ruin the future chances to book a room?

Somebody asked me that question the other day and this is how I answered it.

I would not worry about it too much, either as a host or a guest, reviews are not what they used to be!

The Airbnb review system has become so bogged down in needless programming that there is now very little trust given to the review process by either host or guest. Both are saying they were misled by past reviews!

Many guests are choosing to bypass reviewing because it is no longer seen as an accurate reflection of their thoughts. The reaction is, "I would rather just say nothing than have my thoughts taken out of context and get some ok host into trouble".

Many hosts are now saying to guests, "I hope you enjoyed your stay but, if you feel it was not a 5 star experience please don’t leave me a review because anything less than 5 stars I will be punished for"!

Through the various forums these comments are becoming more and more frequent.

Airbnb are actively advising guests to find fault with what hosts offer, and this has two negative effects!

1/......The end result of that is we all pat each other on the back and say what wonderful human beings we are simply to stay out of trouble!

2/.....It breeds entitled guests who feel they can 'push the choke' because they become aware that hosts need their good reviews!

I personally don’t look at guests reviews any more……guests with 8 past five star reviews ask masses of questions and turn out to be difficult guests. They have only got those 8 fives because those previous hosts swept poor behaviour under the carpet so as not to hurt themselves, and I have been guilty of doing just that myself!

I have struck guests that have been seriously criticised for behaviour in the past that they have taken notice of comments made, and made sure they didn’t repeat their mistakes. They have been excellent guests……….A review can be just a snapshot in time!

It’s a seriously flawed system. In short term renting we need to use our own experience when accepting, either as hosts or guests, it’s the way we come to each other that is a far better indicator than what others may have said in the past.

Cheers……..Rob

42 Replies 42
Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Robin4 

A few responses:

Since Review / Ratings has become more complex and convoluted, numbers who review me has diminished, but not by a wide margin. It's lowered from about 85% in the first couple of years to 78% at the last automated count. (As we know % Reviews for requisite 50% SH ended July 1st)

I further recall when I began hosting in 2013  Review window was 30 Days and it didn't require reciprocation for one or other review to be loaded onto profile, (i.e. whoever reviewed first would be seen by the other, so that one or other could effectively respond in Review to the other's Review).

My impression regarding non-Reviewers has also largely remained the same, namely, that for better or worse some just can't be bothered,  and I consider they don't embrace the spirit of Airbnb. 

In any case, I don't concur that it's 'seriously flawed' because the majority of the time Guests seem to follow it without too much trouble, and further considering it's a numbers game, I'm largely satisfied with the Reviews & Ratings I receive. 

Conversely, I concur with your final sentiment.

If prospective Guest only has one Review or one negative amongst several decent ones. I don't automatically decline Enquiry / Request  I am always interested if the Guest left a Response to Host Review as well as their own Guest Review of that Host. In both cases, I communicate to the Guest my concerns, informing 'I have noted...' as well as my understanding of what I've read from both parties. I then see how the prospective Guest responds before making a decision whether to accept or not. 

Whenever I decided to accept such borderline cases, it proved a good decision

In short, there is no substitute for one's own screening process.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Alon1 

I can't argue with much you say there Alon!

I have only been hosting since 2016 so I was not around when the review protocol you described was in use. 

I do perceive that although guests do follow the review system ok, their knowledge of how their reviews are interpreted is virtually zero. But having said that, like you I am happy with the reviews and ratings I receive.....but these days I have to work on it to achieve them!

I know I keep banging on about this review business but if Airbnb would just stop heaping guests expectations on hosts in the form of a penalty we could all take a deep breath and just get on with the business of being good hosts!

Good comments though Alon.

Cheers......Rob

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Robin4   I think a one star review definitely can ruin someone's business, especially if they don't have many reviews, it would probably take them below the superhost 4.9 and would drop them in the search results.

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Robin4  @Alon1    

good thoughts from both of you. 

I've seen posts on here where hosts talk about educating their guests about how the rating system works. They leave notes in the room, or have conversations with them about it. None of that sits right with me, although I understand it and support those who do it... for me it would feel like asking for a tip. Or pressuring the guest to write a certain way.

Frankly, that's not our job. If Airbnb is not going to have their star system reflect the rest of the world's understanding of what 4 vs 5 star means, then for gods sake - EDUCATE YOUR USERS!!! Let the guests know that if they don't give 5 stars, they are actually failing their host! And if all you really want to do, Airbnb, is have people indicate if it's awesome or not - then just do a "pass" or "fail" - keep it simple! I'm weary of reading beautiful beautiful reviews and then having my heart drop when I see the 4 stars - another fail, another hit to my record that I have to "make up" to make it back to or keep my "Superhost" status.

@Ann489  I certainly agree with you that Airbnb should be explaining this to guests, but since they don't (and I don't expect they ever will- they seem to actively encourage guests to find fault), I do.

I totally understand some hosts reticence to do this, and no one should do something that makes them uncomfortable, but it really depends on how it's done. The way I talk to my guests about it, I don't feel like I'm asking them for a tip or pressuring them, and as far as I've been able to determine, the guests don't, either. Most have thanked me for explaining how it works, because that's all I essentially do. Good guests are actually distressed to learn that Airbnb tells them that a 4* rating is Good, and then turns around and penalizes hosts for that. It seems just as insane to them as it does to us and they are grateful to know that even one 4* rating could lose a host their Superhost status if they don't host multitudes of guests. 

And I've read many posts here where hosts don't want to accept a return booking from a guest who left them a 4* rating, so it's also to the guest's advantage. I had a lovely guest, who I still communicate with, who told me she had left 4* reviews for the previous places she'd stayed, and never would have done that if she'd known, as she found the places and the hosts fine and would book there again. Imagine if she got declined and was left wondering why. 

That said, I've never been one to fret over what a guest might write or rate. As well, there are places out there that shouldn't get 5* ratings. To quote one of my guest's private feedback-"That was one of the best Airbnb stays i've had. You wouldn't believe the crap some people actually charge money for."

And I haven't had the rating discussion with all my guests, either. Some I barely see, even though I host a room in my home- they're out and about most of the time and there isn't an appropriate time to have that convo. But luckily, they've left 5* reviews, anyway 🙂

@Sarah977    thank you for your input..you made some excellent points.   In a perfect world, we would have no need to explain Airbnb's skewed review system to our guests, but since this is not the case, we, as hosts, have to take it upon ourselves to do that.  For some reason, I struggle with that...it feels a little like begging to me.   I think I need to re-evaluate my approach and find one that works for me.    🙂

@Ann489  Thanks for your response. My conversation with guests is more along the lines of talking about how lengthy I know the guest review form has become, how flawed the review system is and why, how Airbnb doesn't explain anything about the reviews to guests and seems to encourage them to find fault ("Let your host know how they could improve"), and how this leads to hosts being put in the position of trying to educate guests about it, or feeling uncomfortable and wondering if it could backfire. And how some hosts won't welcome a guest back who left a 4* review (altho I wouldn't do that myself, as long as they were good guests). Rather than telling them I'd appreciate them leaving a 5* review if they were pleased with their stay. That approach seems to work without offending anyone.

But I do have a fair amount of interaction with most of my guests, so it's not hard to start that conversation at some point.

@Sarah977   Thank you Sarah, this is really helpful and gives me some great ideas on how to broach the subject with my guests in a way that doesn't necessarily sound like begging or fishing for a five star review.   This "finding fault with the host" is particularly bothersome to me.   I have had guests who felt like that they had to write something;  wrong brand of coffee, only liquid soaps, I didn't care for the brand of creamer, the pillow cases had buttons....blablabla....this is just beyond ridiculous, and it simply encourages the guest to find something wrong at all cost.  I don't understand the purpose of it.

@Ann489 I also leave an educational blurb on the review system for my guests along with house instructions. Guests have really appreciated it. Nowhere in it do I ask for a 5 star review. Airbnb could have fixed this mess a long time ago, yet they refuse to do so. They continue to tell guests that a four star review is "good" when we all know it is not. That's just not right. And it's extraordinarily unfair to both guests and hosts. I would prefer not to have to educate guests on Airbnb's review system in this manner - this should be coming from them, of course - But if they won't do it, I will. 

I've been a guest for years now and just recently became a host. I had no idea at all of how it works! I feel bad for the 4 stars Ive given now that I know of it. Look at it from this perspective, its a 4 out of 5!!  Why have a scale, if 4 already means penalizing?

All negative comments were also made directly to the host as not to hurt him too much.. had no idea the stars had such weight!

Well, as a host now I still did not know guests could not transparently give me 4 stars if they felt something was not perfect. 

Not a system that promotes transparency, lets be very honest! It does feel (from a guest perspective) as if we were tapping each other in the back. My reading of people is if the review is way too summarized... I try to get in touch with the host- or in the other case- guest to try to learn more. 

@Gabi91 Thank you for posting this from a guest/now host perspective. This is why I tell other hosts who think it's bad form to educate guests about how the star ratings are applied that the majority of guests will actually be grateful to have this information. Aside from bad guests who are never pleased, just want to criticize and give low stars, good guests are horrified to realize that the "Good" star rating they gave a host will in fact, tank their ratings and may lose them their Superhost status.

@Robin4     "if Airbnb would just stop heaping guests expectations on hosts in the form of a penalty we could all take a deep breath and just get on with the business of being good hosts!"

Exactly!  So why is it doing the exact opposite?

btw: Anyone know what this is?  I just saw it on my notifications.

Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 9.06.50 AM.png

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ange2 

It seems to be CC level that's always displayed with profile... so effectively a redundant confirmation.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Ange2 and @Alon1 ,

Thanks for raising this, we have been looking into this since Monday and it is the system hiccuping - nothing adverse should have happened with your account, however if you do notice anything untoward please do feel free to drop me a message and I'll take a closer look.

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines