Cancellation Question

Jim47
Level 1
Siesta Key, FL

Cancellation Question

I've only recently begun to use ABB. My cancellation policy is Strict. I have a guest who booked to stay for 5 days, from June 14 to June 19. Today, (June 13), the guest cancelled, and asked for a full refund for the cost of the stay via a request in the Resolution Center. ABB has told me via email that the Cleaning Fee has already been refunded. Although I guess I'm entitled to keep 100% of the remaining booking, I'm inclined to refund it as well.

My question is, will I be subject to any fees if I refund the full booking amount, as requested? I don't mind giving the refund, but don't want to be left paying anything out of my own pocket.

Thank you in advance, ABB community, for your help.  

10 Replies 10
Sab-And-Vas0
Level 5
New York, NY

Hey Jim,

It's very kind of you to give a full refund for a last minute cancellation! You will not be charged any fees for doing so-- The resolution center automatically factors  in the fees they have charged you when refunding guests.

Hope that helps!

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Jim47 When you agree to a full refund you will be giving back what Airbnb would have paid you if the guest hadn't cancelled.  You won't be out of pocket.  

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I am also on strict and I when I have given full refund, I have not been out of pocket myself. Very generous of you to refund on such short notice! You certainly don't have to, as it might be hard to fill the spot with only a day to go. I would only refund at the end of their booked stay, and only if I had received another booking to replace. If only part of stay rebooked, then the remaining portion would be refunded. Seems fair to me.

Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Jim47 You're safe from any charges, but personally I wouldn't refund 100% for a cancellation a single day in advance if I had opted for the Strict policy. Refund them something if you want (half? 2/3?), but for the sake of all other hosts, don't refund them 100%. This guest should pay for at least some of their booking, as they knew the rules when they booked.

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I applaud you for refunding the full amount albeit you don't have to.

All the best,

Ama

@Amaris0 I definitely can't applaud a host refunding 100% for a cancellation made one day in advance. The guest should bear some responsibility. A refund of half or even 3/4 is fine. But the host is unlikely to re-fill the dates at that late notice, so deserves at least some compensation. And guests don't need to become conditioned to refunds above and beyond the contracted conditons.

@Dede0@Jim47 @Amaris0 I would like to know the reason why this guest cancelled.  My response on whether it is a good thing or not to refund would depend on the answer.  

I have a strict cancellation policy as well and intend to use it unless the guest has Extenuating Circumstances.  When the guest books, they acknowledge the cancellation policy of the host so I won't feel like a mean person enforcing it.  As Dede said, how is a host to recoup the loss of income if the guest cancels last minute and wants a refund? Easy for the guest, hard on the host. 

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Clare I agree re the reason and I would expect your guest would explain why they are cancelling. I don't believe the majority of guests would just say, I want to cancel and I'd like a refund, the outright answer to that would be NO. The request would usually be accompanied with a reason for the request and as a host you can decide if you are happy to apply your policy or consider overriding it.

My point is that, the policy is there to offer protection but I support the fact that the host ultimately choices if they still wish to refund a guest based on each individual case without a set in stone approach that the policy states no refund so therefore not consideration given. 

It’s not necessarily easy for the guest, yes the host might lose some money but so might the guest not to mention whatever else they might be going through at the time. I like the option to be empathetic and I find it refreshing when this additional aspect is considered.

This approach is not for every host which is also fine.

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Dede I hear what you say and you are covered by the choice not to refund as applicable to your chosen policy.

Personally I feel that it is a good idea to give a refund if you so wish. It is great that host have the choice to override their policies and think as individuals. I did not ask the reason in this conversation because I felt that Jim had considered the reason and perhaps would have informed us if the actual reason was his concern as opposed to the dilemma of not refunding which are two different issues i.e., if a guest informed me that they had a bad flue and could not travel, I know the reason, the refund policy is clear, but as a person what my conscience dictates is equally as important to me in arriving at my decision than just enforcing rules. Jim has mentioned that he is aware that he is entitled to hold the money but he is inclined to refund which would suggest latter i.e., the dilemma is tmore of a moral nature.

I most definitely do not agree that any part of money paid should be held for the sake of other host, it has absolutely nothing to do with other host; the situation is between the particular guest and particular host and to consider other hosts not involved in a particular situation in your decision is wrong and unfair on the guest.

I do not, believe that guest book an accommodation and then intentionally cancel just to be a nuisance to the host. The guest has other cost involved apart from the accommodation so wouldn't risk all that money cancelling without good reason. Yes the guest has asked for a refund in this case but s/he is still taking a risk as they may not get it and to be willing to take that risk, for me suggests there is good reason for them cancelling -I appreciate there will be occasions when guest might not be genuine but I prefer the approach of giving the benefit of the doubt. On this basis I definitely applaud Jim for considering a refund whether or not it is followed through.

Thank you to everyone who responded to my question. For me, this is not as much a business as it may be for others. If I relied heavily on ABB income, I'd probably have kept some, or all, of the booking, since it was so last minute. In this case, it was a young couple. I was corresponding with the husband. He let me know that his wife had just learned she was pregnant, and that they were concerned about the zika virus (I'm in SW Florida). It's hard to know what the truth is. But since this ABB game is a game of trust (you trust I'll provide you with good lodging, I trust you'll respect my property, etc.), I trusted it was the truth. If I were a younger man, and my wife was newly pregnant, I'd probably have the same concerns. So with all that said, I provided a 100% refund. It felt like the right thing to do.

Thank you again to all that responded to my question.