Cancellation due to the terrorist attacks in Belgium.

Fede1
Level 1
Berlin, Germany

Cancellation due to the terrorist attacks in Belgium.

My guest from Brussels had to cancel her trip to Berlin because all flights were cancelled due to the terrorist attacks in Belgium. I think it is complicated for both of us, cause this is obviously neither my fault nor my guest's. Does she get a refund without me having to give the money back or how does it work? I also had to move my schedule and those dates in my calendar were blocked, cleaning fees included. 

4 Replies 4
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

She claims on her travel insurance - which is what it is for - you get your cancellation policy....if she is out  of pocket, you can, at your discretion send her a refund for as much as you wish.

Jonathan6
Level 10
Mamaroneck, NY

You are under no "legal" obligation to offer a refund and yes, they could have insured the trip, but...

I would suggest giving a credit to the guest to travel at a later date (or some hybrid 50% now, 50% credit for a later date, whatever makes sense to you).   At the very least you should refund the cleaning fee since you do not have to clean.

You would gain a customer (call them guest, but they are customers) vs. loosing one.  You need to think of this as a business and it is easier to retain a cutomer than to try to aquire a new one.  

It's simple on AirBnB, just tell the customer that next time they book to make the request and you then give them a special offer.

I have been doing this for over 10 years and have 50% or better repeat customers each year, you can be right all the time from a "policy" standpoing, but wrong in the end from a business point of view.

Hi @Jonathan6,

Great answer.  I just wanted to clarify that the guest always gets back their cleaning fee back when they cancel under all the cancellation policies.

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Vanessa181
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

airbnb  just stoped text i sent to aid my guests. I am in westminster and there is a terroerist attack happening now !