Cancellation settings : Strict/Super strict 30/super strict 60

Stephanie257
Level 2
Juignac, France

Cancellation settings : Strict/Super strict 30/super strict 60

Hi there,

Can anyone in the community advise please? I have had a “strict” cancellation setting on my property since I set up the listing. I noted, unhappily, that last year the terms of this setting had changed and allowed guests to get a refund up to 15 days before the letting date, but there was nothing I could do about it. I have just noticed that now there is the option to have “super strict 30” or “super strict 60”, allowing me to withhold refunds for bookings cancelled much earlier. I am especially concerned as, for the first time, I am almost fully booked for the season and nearly all of those bookings came in before the end of 2018. What I fear is that these are not genuine bookings but just people taking advantage of the fact they can cancel last minute. Is it normal for Airbnb to change these things without notifying hosts? I have not received any notification from them to this effect. If I had, I would have changed my settings accordingly.

Just on another subject - sometime last year I stopped receiving notifications via SMS when a guest/prospective guest had emailed me. No idea why. Anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks

9 Replies 9
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Stephanie257,

I think there is some confusion here, this is the way i read it from the information (i hope i am reading it correct):

The guest can only have a full refund if cancellation is within 48 hours of booking AND check-in date is at least 14 days in future. So no full refund if cancellation is 15 days or more before check-in (in that case 50% is refunded. And if 7 days before check-in: no refund).

See:

https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#strict-with-grace-period

This update (called: the 48 hours grace period) has been announced, see:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/An-update-on-changes-to-the-Strict-cancellation-p...

The super strict(30  and 60) policies can only be used by permission of Airbnb (or by invitation)

Best regards,

Emiel

Hi Emeil,

Thanks for helping out with this. You are quite right, I had misunderstood the policy. I have re-read it and it makes sense now.

Thanks again,

Stephanie

Hi Emiel,

Do you know how  I can request for super strict (30 or 60) permission or better how I can invite?

In advance many thanks

Yoko

Marie1474
Level 1
Hawaii, United States

Can't find that information. I have the same question. Marie

Marie1474
Level 1
Hawaii, United States

Hi, do you know how I can get permission or an invitation to change my cancellation policy to super strict?

Maj-Britt0
Level 4
Freiburg, Germany

Regarding the sms, try turning your phone of and on, if this does not “fix” it write abb, they were pretty good with me last year in fixing it quick. Happy hosting!

John-And-Hylda0
Level 1
Tobermory, GB

Hi

I am also on the strict cancellation period.

I am worried about the 14 day cancellation period where the guest get a full refund, it will be difficult to relet the property within that 14 day period period. I think we will lose because of this.

I am interested to see what other hosts do about this.

Hylda

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

From looking at various listings I think the super strict settings are only made available to companies such as Sykes cottages (in the UK) advertising their properties on ABB.

I could be wrong however.....

@John-And-Hylda0 @Mike-And-Jane0 

Super Strict 30 and Super Strict 60 cancellation polices are only available for commercial and "professional" operators with 6+ properties, or occasionally to hosts with trophy listings, and aren't available to regular hosts. 

#twotiersystem