Charleston, SC Livibility Court

Maxine33
Level 7
Alexandria, VA

Charleston, SC Livibility Court

Despite the fact my unit is listed for monthly rental, I was served with a summons to appear before the Livibility Court this morning and was wondering if anyone had any experiences?  My plan is to appear, show them my listing and my calendar, and hope they dismiss the charges.  Has anyone here dealt with the Livibility Court yet? 

As much as I would love to apply for a STR license, since my property is not on the National Register of Historic Places, I do not qualify.  Has anyone by chance applied for a variance to the regulation?

I was suprised that AirBnB did not get involved the way Uber did to protect their interest in the city but at least for now, these are the cards we are dealt and I would love some feedback on how others have worked with the City.

4 Replies 4
Maxine33
Level 7
Alexandria, VA

FWIW, if there are any lurkers out there interested in what is going on.... it seems that, despite the fact I advertise as only being available for monthly rental, the City of Charleston is still planning on prosecuiting.  Since the regulations state monthly rentals are acceptable, I am a bit surprised that they are dragging me into court over this.

If anyone has any insight or thoughts, I sure would appreciate hearing from you.  

Maxine33
Level 7
Alexandria, VA

Another update, in case anyone is following this but not willing to put their name out there...

The city is literally on a witch hunt.  The ordinance is not for just renting but also for advertising less than 30-days.  Despite showing them my posting stated I was offering the place for rent by the month, my settings were for a few days set to allow a 3-day instead of 30-day minimum.  They are using this as their "ace in the hole" and are not willing to budge at all.  They want their $1087 and they are bound and determined to get it, even if they are wrong.

George1591
Level 2
Charleston, SC

Hi @Maxine33 , I just found this on here. My Wife and I currently live on James Island, and we are looking into the possibility of hosting our house as a 30 Day rental when we move out soon. Possibly as "Corporate Housing", but I am researching more into what it takes for that. It seems this is the only way to do things in Charleston now. Which is total bull**bleep**. In my opinion, it's politics protecting the hotels here from something like AirBnB in the travel industry. They could care less about regular people actually profiting from something like AirBnB, and "taking" business from them. Anyways, I was wondering if you are still hosting in the Charleston area, and how things are going? Absolutely ridiculous they would have taken you to court over all that. Hope to converse on this soon, thanks!

George

George, my apologies, I am only just seeing your response.  James Island has a different set of regulations than downtown, where the house has to be in the Historic Register (#*$&^@) to qualify for a STR Permit.  Short Term Rental Ordinance | Charleston, SC - Official Website (charleston-sc.gov) has the ordinance and a link to the overlay zone.

They have a lawyer that is pretty rabid in pursuing these things.  It is a big revenue generator for the city.  I wish they would put this effort into policing people leaving their dog poop on the sidewalk instead. 😉