Hosts in Dense Urban areas, how do you communicate that there's no free parking?

Mary1211
Level 5
Somerville, MA

Hosts in Dense Urban areas, how do you communicate that there's no free parking?

Hi there! I live in one of the densest urban areas in the nation. My Airbnb is located in a residential neighborhood that only allows for permitedt residential parking.

My listing states that paid off street parking and paid on street parking are both options, but that otherwise I am in a residential neighborhood with very limited to no free parking options.

Guests then always ask me to tell him where the free street parking is (there isn't really any!)

I offer an off-street parking for $30 a night, or to arrange a visitor permit for $25 a night. But people rarely take me up on this, then complain that parking is tough.

I'm wondering how hosts in other cities handle guests who demand free

parkingin dense urban areas?

I used to arrange local permits for free, but guests would complain that they would sometimes have to walk a couple blocks when getting free street parking... Which is why I started charging, as well as the extra work going into explaining local parking to them.

7 Replies 7

@Mary1211   It looks like you already have your bases covered with your paid parking options, and I see that these are very well described (along with public transport options) in your listing.  Guests who "demand" free parking would be better off booking a place that includes it.

The one thing you might consider adding is an option for guests who are driving into town but want to leave their car in long-term parking somewhere and use other transport options during their stay.  For these, you can check if your nearest T line has a Park n' Ride station with overnight parking options. These wouldn't be free, but they would cut the costs a fair bit for guests that are happy to go without their car in the Boston metro.

Mary1211
Level 5
Somerville, MA

@Anonymous Thanks for getting back to me!  They never ask if there's a place they can leave there car, if that was the case I'd have suggestions. 

What is the polite response when guests do ask you something to the extent of "really though, where is there free street parking that's convenient to your house?"

@Mary1211 @Mark116 , @Anonymous 

Some good suggestions already. 

Here's another version building on what the other contributors have written.

1. Take some pictures of the actual "no" parking signs, then upload them onto your webpage with the pictures of locations that they can pay to park. 
  2. Add short descriptions and links to recommended parking facilities in your guidebook. 
  3. As soon as a booking comes through, send a reminder/question about their method of transport.
  4. Create an automatic-saved message, with advice about how to locate the local, paid parking. 
  5. Take a photograph of a car windscreen with a parking ticket.
  6. Add a picture of a parking patrol officer to your webpage.

The cost of a fine Vs save money and  pay me $30 instead.The cost of a fine Vs save money and pay me $30 instead.Insert your local parking signs. #: )Insert your local parking signs. #: )

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Mary1211   We have a similar problem, we've get 4 stars from people who can't parallel park, and either didn't believe or understand the information we give them on parking.  We even finally have added a line in the listing to say that if you aren't used to urban parking and parallel parking to consider other transportation options.  

We also have in the listing that there is  no free parking, and if people tell us they are driving we try and give them as much detail as possible, we also have street cleaning 4x per week, which is very hard for guests to process.

My only other idea is you might put a photo of the closest parking garage as the last shot on the listing, say how far away it is and reiterate that there is no 'free parking'.  Thankfully our visitor passes are only $5 a day, so it hasn't been a barrier.

@Mark116  yeah it's even harder that I don't have a car, and just don't understand people who bring them into cities like this.  I mean, I kind of get it.  I just don't expect it to be free. 

I could probably touch up my directions a bit, though I think they're mostly clear. My city thankfully has killer signage (every 15-20 feet, and very clear).

The only comparable experience I had is driving to Montreal, I street parked outside my AirBnB and the signs are all in French, and my (French speaking) host was more or less like "Yeah I don't know what it says," and I did get a ticket (for I don't even know, because French), though the host then paid.

So like, sure you should probably be able to tell your guest what the sign immediately outside your house says (only if they can't read it their self, and Montreal is going to be a very unique anomaly), but I feel like otherwise guests should be more responsible for spaces (or look for places with free parking). 

Admittedly, I'm pretty sure AirBnB is limited in being able to search by amenity and it can get overwhelming fast.

Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

@Mary1211 ,

7. Take a photo of your parking spot, add a caption with the daily price, add it to your weblisting.
8. a. Create a new listing with your parking spot as the car accommodation. 

8.b. Definitely don't make it instant book, it is only for your confirmed guests.

8.c. Emoji laughing!!!

9. 'tell 'em they're dreamin' ["The Castle"]

Lol, 

Best regards, Happy Hosting.

Christine from Wombats at Glenbrook.

Jam5308
Level 2
Washington, DC

Is AirBnb considering offering a parking feee setting? That would be immensely helpful. Thx!