Should children under 2 Free? I think Not!

Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

Should children under 2 Free? I think Not!

I have hosted families for over three years. Children are the most work because they.....well...they are children. I just recently found out that my listing shows that children under 2 are free. My goodness....the spilled juice on the floors, the fingerprints on my glass doors, extra laundry, diapers in the garbage......all OK "if" I get paid for the extra work but it seems that Airbnb has decided that I should do this work for free? Sadly, the only way that I can stop this free promotion is to change my settings to "unsuitable" for children under 2 and now my listing will not show up when a family is looking to stay somewhere with small children.

Oh well, I had better go and check the other two platforms that I use.

171 Replies 171
Barry-and-Viv0
Level 4
Perth, Australia

AIRBNB would not be in existance if it wasn't for HOSTS.

I have been a HOST for nearly 4 years, with 3 properties, and a SUPERHOST for most of that time.

Now AIRBNB want to tell me who I can charge to have stay in my property, seriously who do you think you are.

Sure you are successful, but don't think that there aren't other alternatives for HOSTS out there.

I never thought I would sign up with another site, but I'm now on STAYZ and it lets me charge for who I choose and I have been getting some great bookings, and longer ones!

Hopefully AIRBNB can listen to the people who make them money and they can help them make the money they deserve to.

Other HOSTS have said it all, so I don't have to repeat the reasons why we should be able to charge for who we want to.

Best regards,

Very Unhappy AIRBNB Host, previously a VERY HAPPY ONE!

Could someone point to where in the terms and conditions it states this policy? I've looked and can't find it. Initially ist was reported in a newsletter article that I never got. I've been a host for about 4 years now. My listing still says ALL children are considered people and must be included in the number of people in the reservation and I have no intention of changing it. I'm in the US, so if this is a country specific issue, or even a region specific issue, that would be good to know.

I don't know where it says it in the T&C's, but if you try to do a booking you will have the option to put in the number of Adults, Children 2-12, and Infants under 2, and you will only have to pay for the Adults and Children.

I'm in Australia and this is certainly the case, and from other Hosts comments around the world, I don't think it is isolated to Australia.

@David641  Here is the link to the Help Center article about this issue.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/433/can-children-travel-on-airbnb

Yes, children under 2 are free.  I pesonally think all hosts who do not want children under 2 to be free, should change their listing.  That will reduce the number of listings available for FREE for the little ones.  BTW this is a standard in many other travel related and entertainment related experiences, but share homes is a unique situation.

Ok, that is in the "Help Center", but it doesn't appear anywhere in our terms of service. If it isn't in the terms of service, and our house rules say we charge for infants and children under 2, how could AirBnB hold us to it?

Probably what they will do is put your place at the very bottom of the listings. To force you to not charge for little children. I now hate Airbnb! 

I so agree!

Kim13
Level 4
Katoomba, Australia

I totally agree. 

Airbnb has decided on our behalf to allow children 2 and under FREE.

So now we are expected to say "no they must pay and manually adjust the booking fee". (Which AIRBNB suggested I do)!!!!!  this OF COURSE, this creates a problem instantly. "Oh but Airbnb says they are free".  So now we have a confrontation, or they go and book elsewhere.

I recently had a 2 yr old, and the house was turned upside down!!  Nice guests, but 2 year olds are 2 year olds.  I provided linen, bedding, towels, and of course they had baths.  Screaming, crying, and more.  So all that was FREE of charge.  mmmmm, not again.

I believe HOSTS need to make a complaint to Airbnb and have them remove the automatic FREE option.  Let hosts decide if they wish the child to be free or not!!  Let's make a stance.    WE ALL NEED to be on the same page.

Well said Kim! I totally agree. I get these sucky emails from Airbnb telling me what a wonderful superhost I am but they are not listening when I say that they need to change this policy. We have to keep up the pressure.

I Sent this to Airbnb TODAY:  let's see what transpires!! probably nothing!!  As you say, sucky emails don't pay the bills!!!  😉

Children 2 and under free –

Airbnb has decided on behalf of Hosts around the world, to allow children 2 and under FREE.

I am happy to host families with children, and have done so for 4 years now!  But this may now end, due to Airbnb taking it upon themselves to allow 2 and under free accommodation.

This is unacceptable. 

It should be at the discretion of the host should they wish to accept children for FREE.

• I have hosted many families over the last 4 years.
  • I provide: linen, towels, face washers, toys, cot, food for these young children
  • 2 and under: smear they hands all over my glass doors, glass tables, food dropped all over the floors, screaming, crying.   They always use the spa bath. They grab at books, ornaments, blinds, curtains.
  • I have bins full of nappies (diapers).
  • It’s a battle keeping up with the children. I make it clear that children are very welcome under parental supervision.

I am happy to date, but not for FREE.

Please allow us the option to choose whether or not, children 2 and under are free.

But DO NOT force this upon us.  Soon we will not accept children!

I work hard, keeping my home clean and safe.

I play with children, I help the mother feed the kids and occupy them when the parents are busy.

I paint and draw with the children.  You may leave me no option but to stop allowing children in my home.

The suggestion by Airbnb to alter the booking manually, and charge the child, automatically causes a problem.

The guest then complains that Airbnb has already allowed the child free accommodation.  Then the Host has to justify charging the guest for their child.  You have automatically caused confrontation between host and guest.  I find this unacceptable.  I am happy to allow babies (1 and under to be free) but not toddlers.

Please alter the algorithm set by Airbnb, and allow the hosts to make decisions on free accommodation for children 2 years and under.

Regards

Kim

@Kim13

why would you allow babies under 1 y.o. free? with 7 months they crawl, with 11 months they already walk! 

You still have to bring and make a crib, clean the mattrass and duvet if they pee (and they do), clean the carpet, sofa, walls... pay water and electricity for their baths every day and they use your linens and towels...

From my experience in my Airbnb, the parents normally don't allow the child to crawl around on my floors and certainly not touching walls and tables at such a young age.  They are very careful to hold them or contain them.  At two they are running around!

Just my experience.

Melanie115
Level 4
Washington, DC

What are the other platforms we can use?????

We need to band together!!!!

@Melanie115  The other two good platforms are TripAdvisor and VRBO (which includes Homeaway), but you will not get as many bookings. I have found that the best solution is to not have Instant Book activited, which means that you can have a converstation with a potential guest before booking to tell them that you do not allow children under 2 to stay for free. Have this in your house rules as well. My rules state that infants are free but not those children of walking age (who are not really infants anyway) must be declared as over 2 years old when booking.