City of Warwick, RI

Lin24
Level 2
Warwick, RI

City of Warwick, RI

1. is there a zoning, requirement for Home owners?
  2. Has anyone been approached by an angry Host in Warwick named Cindy.  She is upset that others are becoming Hosts in the Warwick area.  Has anyone been approached /email from her?
  3. If I am in an area that is already zone for business must I get approved?  ty
11 Replies 11
Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

@Lin24 that's a good one !

maybe i should track all hosts in my area and make their life harder..

Lin24
Level 2
Warwick, RI

LOL!  It's sad.  We need to be here to support one another.  I am having a great time meeting folks from all over, and learning about diferent religious rituals, and etc..  Loving it! ty

Christian65
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Good riddance. She sounds like a tosser! 

But glad you're doing well and enjoying the experience @Lin24 🙂

Mystic-Whaler0
Level 2
New London, CT

I'm not sure about your zoning, but town hall should be able to provide some guidance. There has been great success in the Stonington/Mystic, CT area creating an association among short-term rental hosts. The best thing for long-term success is to have a community that welcomes and supports visitors, no matter where they stay. If they have a great experience once, they will come back again and will bring others with them. Perhaps if you create a positive alliance with other hosts, this one grumpy host will realize all it has to offer!

Hey Lin! I actually just received a message from Cindy as well. Has anything come from this?

Thank you!

Taylor55
Level 1
Warwick, RI

This is a message I received from Cindy. 

Hi Taylor,
My name is Cindy and I also have an Airbnb in Warwick. It is important that all of us have gotten the proper permits to do this. It really helps with safety issues as well as professionalism and accountability. If you have not already please call Warwick City Hall and start the procedure. I will be checking with town hall to make sure that everyone has went to the zoning board and applied for a license. The town is looking into this and my advice is to get this done sooner as opposed to later. I'm hoping that moving forward we can work together and make Warwick a sought after destination!

@Taylor55@Lin24@Mitch-and-Masé0@Mystic-Whaler0@Christian65, looks to me like Cindy has too much time on her hands!  She needs another hobby....

I"d check with Town Hall to see whether there really is such a permitting process and go ahead with that, and then tell her to stuff it if she gets back in touch!  🙂

thank you for your feedback Susie! xxoo

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I have a different take on this, @Lin24.  While "Cindy" may be a bit much, I can somewhat understand her perspective.  There are a number of discussion threads on this site in which towns and cities have regulated against Short Term Rentals (STR) because there is a feeling that hosts are not complying with regulations and are causing disruption to the community.  Hosts lost their business and for some this was financially devastating.

@Lin24 if you do not know what are the regulations for having a business in your town, I suggest you find out ASAP and comply.  @Susie5@Taylor55@Mitch-and-Masé0@Mystic-Whaler0  hosts need to proactively be aware the general sentiment regarding STR in their area and support compliance with regulations. Several cities near me have restricted the STR business due to the community turning against the hosts that they feel are disrespectful of the neighborhood and city. In my City, I started an Air BNB Home Sharing Club in which hosts support one another.  We have a good relationship with the City.

Linda from LaQuinta Ca., I did all the necessary steps at City Hall,  and I am in compliance.  I worked for Section 8 Housing as an home Inspector, and I am aware of the regulations.  Thank you for your imput! Further more as part of the Airbnb Community if she was aware of any requirements that I might not know, please share the information.  This is what I would do.  But, she doesn't know me nor is she aware of my home.  I am always open for suggestions, but if she feels I am getting all the bookings...this is not my isssue.  If she did it right, I would be referring folks I cannot accomodate her way!   Love the Airbnb Home.  This is exactly what a few of us hosts are doing. Best Always, Lin

Glad to hear you are on top of this, @Lin24.  Soooo many hosts are not and their naivete actually endangers the existing hosts.  Check out the Home Sharing Club page, under Discuss, on this site. You might find the support you are looking for.