Cleaning Fees and Asking guests to tidy up

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

Cleaning Fees and Asking guests to tidy up

When I was a new host, my first few guests were experienced ABB guests. Every one of them pulled the sheets from the bed and soiled towels and put them next to the washing machine. I figured this was standard ABB practice so I put it in my check out instructions.

I ask my guests to throw dirty towels and sheets in a hamper provided and to put any trash by the door (I've had a couple of guests who just left trash everywhere, including under the bed and other furniture).  And I ask them to rinse off the dishes so food doesn't attract ants.  Sometimes it's 24 hours before I can get into the unit to start cleaning.  

I'm not asking them to launder everything. I'm not asking them to actually take out the trash (even though some have generated some impressive quantities for a weekend stay) and I'm not asking them to actually CLEAN the dishes. I do all that and I do have a very modest cleaning fee of $12 to help offset the cost of cleaners, detergents, vacuum bags, etc. and the 2-4 hours I spend cleaning my suite. 

I had a new-to-AirBNB guest who just left mention in their review that they were surprised that they were asked to put towels and sheets in the hamper.  

I know everyone's situation is different, but for those of you who don't have commercial cleaning services, do you ask this of your guests?  This is the first guest in a year who has complained... and gave me 4* because of it. 😠

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Stephanie0   I host a room/private bath in my home and do my own cleaning. I don't charge a cleaning fee and cleaning the guest space takes me about an a hour and a half, plus making sure my kitchen which guests share is spotless (another hour). I don't ask my guests to strip the beds, but several have done it anyway and some ask if I want them to. Many hosts have said they'd rather the bedding get left on the bed, as it's easier to see if there are any stains , so they'll know to pre-treat before throwing in the wash. And of the guests who have just on their own initiative stripped the bed, 2 accidentally wrapped up an item of their clothing in it. 

But if you want them to strip the beds and put stuff in the hamper, as well as put the garbage by the door, I don't see why you shouldn't ask this of them nor why they should balk at doing it. Except they think it should work like a hotel.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Most of my guest either do those things on their own, or ask if they should and if they don't, no big deal. Those that don't probably are not on the neat side. Can't fathom someone being so stupid as to be 'offended' if asked, I mean really, how small.

Ann352
Level 2
Fredericksburg, VA

I had someone say my house was dusty and I am a clean freak dusting every square inch. It is just and old house. I had to learn that one review like that is just the person, not the host but at first I was very upset. After that I let my guests know that it was an old house and since it was affordable they were okay with it.

All my guests were super clean and wanted to know what to do with the towels. I think it makes them more comfortable that you tell them.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Stephanie365  I charge a cleaning fee and at check out I just ask that they put dishes in the dishwasher and leave any beds used unmade. Set the alarm and lock the doors. I'd say the younger crowds 21-24 usually fail on putting the dishes in the dishwasher, but most others do. I do not even ask them to start it. 

Aisha0
Level 3
Chicago, IL

Stephanie,

I hope it is okay that I bring a view point entirely differnt to this conversation.

I took a look at your listing and I absolutely love how charming it is!

If I were you, I would not ask my guests to do anything other than enjoy the property respectfully.  Of course you have to respectfully insist (not ask) that they lock your home at all times, when they leave and follow your instructions on locking and key transfer when they check out.

In my opinion, asking a guest to do anything other than that is not good business. 

Why do i say this? 

Because when a guest books your home, he or she is paying for the comfort of your home over a hotel or any other commercial lodging. 

Charge them fairly and increase your cleaning fee. $12 is not even minimum wage - and trust me does not bring respect... especially in today's 'gimme more' kind of world..... 🙂

To be competitive, if you must DECREASE your listing fee, but INCREASE your cleaning fee.

Ensure that guest rules  (you can have it posted somewhere in print is as well)  say, that whilst you do not expect the apartment to be spotless, you do hope to see all furniture and furnishings intact your guest found it. And of course that includes "used linens, towels and dishes in the rooms they were used " - tongue in cheek.

If I had your apartment, I would make my cleaning fee $30 minimum.

Hope this helps 🙂

A'isha from eSutras Organics, Chicago.