Commercial Pool and Hot Tub License

Peter1
Host Advisory Board Alumni
SF, CA

Commercial Pool and Hot Tub License

Having a pool or hot tub is a major attraction for any listing.  Listings with these features are very popular and attract higher daily rates.

Until recently, Wisconsin required short-term rental Hosts to obtain a commercial license for any pool or hot tub they offer to their guests. 

As reported by Urban Milwaukee, some Hosts found this regulation financially burdensome:

"Another homeowner, Kelly Smith, has a property with a beautiful indoor pool ... but DATCP [Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection] required her to lock it up and prevent guests from using it until it meets the commercial code, which would cost $150,000. 'This was not feasible,' Smith wrote in testimony. 'Without the pool, I have estimated losses of over $30,000 in rental income per year. Renters are easily able to see our pool and are usually mystified and upset when I tell them they aren’t allowed to use it.'"

Maintaining such a license in Wisconsin involves, among other things, an annual fee of $150, a one-time inspection fee of $150, keeping monthly pool operation logs, submitting death, injury or illness reporting forms and other reports.

A legislative committee has now suspended that licensing requirement pending review.

While I can understand the Wisconsin government's concern about public safety - drowning is a real danger especially for small children and guests can potentially catch many diseases if the water is not properly treated - the regulations must also be reasonable and not over burdensome and financially unfeasible: is licensing a hot tub really necessary?

Do you host with a pool or hot tub?  Does your local government require you to obtain a license?  Do you think that Hosts should be required to be licensed for pools and hot tubs?

Insurance is another aspect - prudence would probably suggest purchasing separate coverage and not to rely solely on AirCover, and some waivers in ones House Rules probably would not hurt - but that is another large topic that merits another separate conversation and thread.

0 Replies 0