Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Community Spotlight: Sijiu0

Screen Shot 0002-01-29 at 11.24.52.png

image1 (1).png

Hello everyone,

It’s spotlight time again! Now you don’t have to look far in the CC long to see that one of our most discussed topics is the Coronavirus. We know what an impact it is having on hosts and guests all around the world and is a global challenge. So for our February Community Spotlight we thought we would talk to a fellow host based in China, where it is particularly difficult for our host community.  Introducing…

Sijiu0

Sijiu is an active offline community leader in Shanghai, since 2018 she has held 13 offline events to engage with local hosts, sharing host experiences and helping new hosts.  

• How long have you been hosting for and why did you first start?

I was totally impressed by my host’s sharing of his lifestyle during my first Airbnb experience in Chengdu. Since then, I neve left Airbnb when I traveled. When I first had a room available in my studio, I quickly started to begin my Airbnb host journey. 

I moved out of my studio (mentioned above) which was my first Airbnb listing. But I never wanted to stop hosting, so, I am now hosting a private room in my own apartment, welcome guests from all over the world. 

• When you are not hosting, what do you like doing?

In my leisure time, I like to travel, and I am also passionate about some sports that can be close to nature, such as diving and skiing. But I am still a freshman. 

• If you could have lunch with a famous person (past or present), who would it be and why?

If possible, I hope to have the opportunity to have lunch with Nathan Blecharczyk, the founder of Airbnb. I was deeply attracted by this concept of sharing your travel when I first met Airbnb. In the past few years, I became a host, then superhost and then a china community leader, and as a huge fan, I have a deeper understanding about belonging anywhere. 

• What’s your food weakness?

Not a problem for me. I’m a foodie and I love everything.

• Are you more of a book or film person? What did you last read/watch?

I prefer movies. Also, I am reading some books about psychology recently. Because I hope to better adjust myself and to do something for China community during this situation. By the way, I recommend " Good Will Hunting " for the whole Airbnb community, hoping everyone can find what your dream life and love is

• Are you active in the local community? What does it mean to you? 

I have actively participated in host community events since 2018. I figured out the host community is a great place for me to meet other hosts, improve the way we host together. In 2018, I was honored to be invited to become a community leader in Shanghai. I started to organize my events where I can share my ideas on hosting with other hosts. In the community, it is all about sharing, making friends, and supporting each other, which I love so much. 

• Have you heard how hosts are helping in the local area during the Coronavirus?

China hosts demonstrated great power and kindness truly representing the spirit of community. Wuhan hosts opened free accommodations for medical workers; Shanghai hosts filmed inspirational videos for the community… Their stories inspired the entire community, guests, and even the society. 

...How has Sijiu been getting involved...

After CoV happened, she knew it’s been very challenging for many hosts, so she came up with an idea to do online instructional courses that could support other hosts. The Covid-19 has impacted China hosts for a month, and so she set up 3 online sharing events with a few other community leaders through live-streaming. Almost 300 hosts participated in her live-streaming courses and received great support from the community. She also proactively listened to hosts and sent out surveys to learn what kind of help they may need, and to decide the topics of the future courses accordingly. 

Invitation of Sijiu’s online sharing event with topic “the analysis of future trend of Minsu & hospitality industry” 

• Why is it important that the host community comes together? 

During this tough time, community is even more important than ever. With the strength of everyone in the community together, China hosts can definitely fight against this and host their guests with love again. 

Thank you @Siji0  for taking the time to speak with us, it’s incredible to hear how important community it is at times like this. 

image2.png

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

8 Replies 8
Lydia94
Level 10
Cleveland, OH

I joined Airbnb in 2013 and I was impressed with the concept and it made it easyer for me to host. But when I learned that the founder had broken the law from day one with the first guest I was no longer impressed. Until today Airbnb is still breaken the law around the world with 50% of illegal short term 

rooms on there searchingene. The supply of homes is larger than the demand and is harming every legal host. The push for AIRBNB to make money is more important than to have a safe community with

respectful guest. The quality of guests is declining on a daily basis, our homes are no longer respected

all the rights go the the guests because the large amount of money comes from the guests and not the hosts. Our homes and our services are being abused. But Airbnb ownes and controlls the market in

short term rentals, it is the devil we all have to deal with until the law steps in and make some changes

and teach everbody to respept the law. I hope to live to see the day.

I like the idea of self governance. I own my home and don’t want a law telling me if I can or can’t share it for profit. A law against it is backed by large hotels and big money.  So law is tricky and often has many sides. 

ive hosted since 2011 and love sharing my home and community.  I would agree with you about the decline of respectful guests. I would like to see more screening.  I’ve had to change my booking settings to give me more control which is helpful but better screening will be beneficial to everyone.  Thanks! 

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

What a wonderful thing you are doing, Sijiu0supporting fellow hosts in China, and staying so strong and inspirational. Such a difficult time.

Love from Canada. 

Thanks for this, @Stephanie .

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It's what we are about here on the CC @Lawrene0 ! Supporting each other. With everything that is happening in the world today, the positivity and passion of people always inspires us to try harder 🙂

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Lawrene0Thank you for your support. For me, community is really a great thing. Can help different people link together, promote warmth.Just like we meet online at this moment because of the Airbnb community.Hope one day you will come to China and I can show you our beautiful city Shanghai.😊

your friend 49(Sijiu) from Shanghai,China.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @玖0,

What an inspiring Community Spotlight, thank you so much for sharing your experience as a host leader and why you love hosting so much. It's incredible that at such a difficult time like this, across the world, community is bringing people together and it doesn't have to be face to face, it can be like what we do every day here in the CC. 

Now that you have had such great success with your online meetups, do you think you will continue to do them? 

Also, you clearly love to pass on your ideas and knowledge to other hosts, but what has been the most important or impactful thing you have learned from another host?

Thank you again,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi @Lizzie 

Nice to see your message in the community and thank you for your support.

Yes, I will continue my online meetups.  You know, it's a great thing. I have no reason to end it.

Of course online sharing meeting for me, is not unilateral. I also learned a lot from other people and got help.Coronavirus has a big impact on all Airbnb hosts in China.At this moment, we need united and negotiate with each other.So online sharing meeting is not just pass on my own ideas to others. Most important is discussion and sharing.

I also look forward to being here to interact with global Airbnb hosts and learn more.

Thank you so much,

yours 49(Sijiu) from Shanghai,China.

@玖0 

Wonderful work you're doing to bring your community together in extremely difficult and challenging times Sijiu - I salute you! 

Very best wishes to you and all our fellow hosts in China, and hope these horribly tough times pass quickly for you and your loved ones, and that everything returns to normal very soon. Stay strong, and united. Much love to Shanghai and all of China, from Dublin, Ireland.