Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Community Spotlight [Tokyo]: Yagi

Community Spotlight.png

Hello everyone,

I hope you are having a great day.

I know many of you enjoy our Community Spotlight series here in the CC and so I thought, as part of the Host Community Tour, you would enjoy hearing and meeting some of the great people I meet along the way. 

I’ve been staying with a fantastic host in Tokyo and over a beautiful (and most importantly delicious) breakfast, I asked him a few questions.

Introducing…Yagi. Yagi's listing is a private room in his home. 

Yagi.png

Yagi
Toyko, Japan

How long have you been a host for and why did you start?

I started at the end of September 2018, so about 6 months. I started because I left the company I was working for. I was going to look for a new job, but I also wanted to start a new business. Since I didn’t have the money, I thought the best thing would be to do something in the house, and that Airbnb would be the best. It allows me to stay at home and do my business work and other projects, and as I own my house, I can share my first floor with the guests. It works for me! I did all the DIY myself and remodelled it in the Japanese style. I enjoyed all the shopping!

What’s your favourite part of your home?

The view from the windows in the morning. The house is located by the riverside, it’s a quiet place–there are no cars. In the morning, the sun shines through, all the shades come through the window. If you open up the sliding doors, it shows the green, in the Autumn [Fall] you see the reds, the spring there is the sakura, lots of pinks. There are lots of people passing by walking and it makes me feel like I should go out, take a walk. Many of my guests wake up early and take a walk, they say it’s a nice neighbourhood.

Bedroom.jpg

Why do you enjoy hosting?

To see the guests smile. I meet people from abroad, different countries, they have many values and culture. I serve them breakfast and they like the food and I talk about the Japanese culture and they are just into it. I recommended a place to a guy and he went and he liked it. It’s fun dealing with the people, and I’m enthused to make people happy. That’s what I do.  

Sitting room.jpg

As a host what’s your vision for the future?  

Since I started up, only 6 months ago, I'm don't really know what other hosts are doing. I chatted with some hosts online and they have some of the same worries as me, it seems like the quality in Japan might not be as high as in other countries. It seems like it is more homely, less professional. I’ve been approached to be part of Airbnb Plus, so I have to learn how to be more professional. I would love to be a good example for other hosts in Japan and I would like to have a higher standard.

Do you have a top hosting tip?

Be yourself and treat your guests like family. As we are Japanese, we have to know about the country, about our culture. We have to have enough information to give to the guests, because guests want to know about Japan’s culture. It’s good to have good local knowledge.

Any fun facts?

I am a shy guy. Once I started speaking English, I started to be more talkative. This is what my friend told me. In Japan, when I meet my Japanese friends, I don’t talk much, I don’t know why. When I talk to a native English speaker, I start talking. If you are bored, then just talk to me!

I had such a wonderful time staying in Yagi's home and getting to know more about Japan and why he loves hosting. It is clear that he cares a lot about making sure his guests have a great stay and I think he is very proud to be Japanese. 

Please do share your comments and thoughts here, I am sure Yagi would love to read your comments. Plus, have you ever been to Japan? If not, what kind of experience would you like if you visited?

I hope you enjoyed Yagi's spotlight. 

Thanks,
Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

39 Replies 39
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Enjoyed this very much, @Lizzie  and Yagi! What a beautiful space!

thank you @Lizzie , thanks you @Lawrene0 ,  yes, we have a authentic Japanese room where you can enjoy!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wonderful to see you here @Yagi1. A warm welcome to the Community Center and thanks again for letting me stay. 

As you can see lots of other hosts have enjoyed hearing from you. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie much appreciated on your invitation on this. this surely has been a great experience to knowing Airbnb host throughout the world. very encouraging experience as well. thanks again! you made my day for sure! 

Thanks! @Lawrene0 , it surely nice room for staying!

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Beautiful home, Yagi. Breakfast looks delicious!

Leo192
Level 8
Spartanburg, SC

@Lizzie , Thanks for sharing your ABB experience with Yagi.  I love his listing style and I think he did a great job.  He also game me some ideas on how I can improved on mine.  That breakfast is amazing too!

Siyana-and-Khalam0
Level 10
Imbituba, Brazil

Hi @Lizzie 
So nice to read about your experience and to know about Yagi. I would love to go to his place.
Thanks for sharing.

Siyana
Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Hi @Lizzie (I don't know why I can't tag Yagi).  Super nice home, and you definitely have the attitude of a great host!  I don't know where the opinion of Japanese homes not being professional... I lived in Japan for a year as high school student (AFS) and ALL of the homes I visited were immaculate!  Truly, not one single thing out of place!  And of course the culture itself (in my experience) is VERY orderly.   You're going to have a great time hosting!

Best,

Kim

@Kimberly54  yes, I am too having a great time hosting and meeting everybody from the world. Learning experience everyday!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Yagi.

Kon'nichiwa Yagi, I had the great pleasure of also hosting @Lizzie  on this trip of hers.

Thank you for taking good care of her and showing that true Airbnb hospitality which you Japanese people are so famous for.

Yagi, I have also had the great pleasure of hosting Japanese students from the Funabashi Municipal School in Chiba for our local high school 'homestay' exchange student program and they have all been delightful wonderful young people who we still keep in touch with.

Thanks again Yagi for looking after Lizzie, I would like to meet you and shake your hand one day!

Cheers......Rob

@Robin4  oh, you are the famous ROBIN eveybody is talking about!  Yes, out of the blue, @Lizzie has visited my place and had a wonderful time together. I've never been to Australia. so I have to visit your country to see you one day!! Cheers! Yagi

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

It looks very inviting and peaceful . I like the hint of the greenery through the sliding door. 😉 are there birds out there? 😉

I have never been to Japan as I am not keen on the hustle and bustle of cities but if Lizzie can navigate the train system I’m sure I could. 

Thanks for sharing 🙂 

Pam176
Level 2
Queensland, Australia

Lovely home, Yagi! It looks very peaceful and welcoming