Conflicted about review

Faina0
Level 1
New York, NY

Conflicted about review

Hi everyone!

I have a question about reviewing a guest, with whom I did not have the most pleasant experience. I had a request from him a few days before his arrival date, and in his request, he only mentioned how many people are coming and what time. I should have asked him specifics about their trip, but since it was only a few days before their expected arrival, I quickly approved them. I was also going out of town, so I had a lot of stuff to take care of as well.

Once they arrived, I began to get emails from the guest about lack of heat in the apartment, which I had not experienced during this season. Either way, I reached out to the maintenance guy in my building, who fixed the heat the next day, after numerous phone calls and emails. After the heat got fixed, the Internet crashed. I did everything I could to figure out what was going on, but from my ISPs end, everything was fine, so it must have been a problem with the router. All this time, I continued to get emails and complaints from this guest, so I suggested a few coffee shops in the area that have free WiFi. He did not seem to like this idea, because he and his friends were apparently using the apartment as their work space, and Internet was essential. I suggested locating another apartment for him to stay in, but he refused. Eventually he did end up moving his operation to a coffee shop, but not without another string of emails about how upset he was. 

I understand that these things were basic needs, but neither one was in my control, and I had very little resources that allowed me to help these guests out. Once I inspected my apartment after they checked out, I also saw that they had moved around a lot of my furniture, utensils and tableware and while I was able to locate most of it, there are still a few items missing. I could tell that they did attempt to clean up after themselves, but it was minor.

My dilemma at this point is what kind of review to leave for this guest. I do realize that I am responsible for my guests' feeling welcome and at home, and that he was right to be upset with the lack of heat and Internet service, but he also did not specify to me how important the Internet was, and as for the heat, he was the first person to complain to me about it, so I had no idea that other people may feel uncomfortable.

Sorry for the long ramble, but I would love some advice on how to handle the review process for this guest. While my experience was not very pleasant, I do not want to leave him a bad review for having expectations that I did not fill.

1 Reply 1
Luis-and-Tati0
Level 10
New York, NY

Hi @Faina0

Starting with this: I usually don't leave reviews right away for guests I have problems with it... I do it on the last hour and most likely by that time there will be another review already on the front of it... By leaving a review your guest will receive a message prompting him to leave a review on his own, on the last minute is really likely that he will miss the deadline and not leave you a bad review... So no need to rush...

Now for your review...

Leave a honest review about your guest...
Did he followed your rules?

Was him wrong on the complaints and requests?

Did he left the house as you expected?...

If he did nothing wrong there isn't much to say about him...

Just a heads up... Since my first house on the first day we rented (2011) I had a Thermostat and router that I could monitor and control.... So when the internet is down or the temperature is out of the comfort zone I would know right away and can take action...
Most likely your current router will let you "remote manage" it... Add a "Tado thermostat" and you are good to go... If you can't control the heater at least you can monitor the temperature...

Luis