Posting a Sign concerning Unpaid Extra Guests

Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

Posting a Sign concerning Unpaid Extra Guests

I have a welcome table where I put instructions for the use of the house (similar to the rules but more explanation as to the workings of the house - heat, air conditioning, location of lights, etc).

On that notice I want to post this beside the check-in and check-out times:

.....We keep the base rate low enough to make the house affordable for small groups. Sneaking in extra unpaid guests is theft......

Too strong? Not strong enough?

6 Replies 6
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

Hi @Monica4, my space is an entire home too and I know that at least on one occasion there were more people there than I allowed.  Didn't realize since they had a very late check in and left early on check out.  

Not sure the sign will help at all.  Honest people will be upfront about the number of people when booking. Dishonest people will ignore your sign.  Unless you are there for the check in and/or around the place during guest stays I'm not sure what you can do to detect extra guests.  

You do have the warning in your listing.  I do something similar but also added that I require the names and ages of all guests before accepting a reservation.  That puts the guest in a position of having to confirm in writing who is staying there.  If there are more , undisclosed guests, you have every right to have Airbnb re-home them or amend the reservation to charge extra.. 

Hope this helps a little bit.  Merry Christmas!

Ernie0
Level 10
San Francisco, CA

Hi Monica, 

I would recommend against posting that. If you feel compelled, you could include similar language in your house rules. I would soften the language though. 

Cheers, 
Ernie Thayer

Kim-and-Robert0
Level 2
West Kill, NY

Your language might be a little too tough.  Is there anything you can add that will let them know that having more than the max guests will make it a less pleasant stay?  Maybe make it less about the money and more about the experience they will have with the right number of people.

We had this happen on our third rental.   Our listing states maximum of 5 people, but we didnt' spell it out in the rules that more than that were not allowed.  The guests who stayed had friends over and were really loud (we live down the road, and could hear them from our house).  I called them at midnight and told them to be quiet and asked if they had more than 5 people there.  She said they would be quite and that their vistors had rooms at a local hotel and were going back that night.   Of course they didn't leave and I noticed the visitor's car in the driveway the next day.   When I asked her about it the next day, she said they had too much to drink and couldn't go back to their hotel and that "they all had jobs." (???).  Truthfully, if she had just been honest  about the drunk part when I called her at midnight, I would have been less angry.

After that I updated our listing to specifically say that we only allow up to 5 people unless other arrangements are made, and that it isn't a place suitable for large groups.  When people ask if more than 5 can stay, I talk about the septic system and how I don't think it can handle that many people, and in general people stop asking at that point.  We also don't provide extra blankets or pillows at the cottage, but let them know that if they need more, they can call us and we will provide them.    I also changed the terms to be $100 per person after 5, so if I can show that they had more than 5 people, I can charge them extra. 

I also think it helps to meet people personally when they arrive, and it definitely helps to live nearby so they know that you know what is going on, though I know that isn't always possible.

Your place looks lovely and like a great place to stay!

Jaydub0
Level 2
Seoul, South Korea

Hi Monica,

I've noticed that if the place is big like yours people have more temptation to lie about how many people they are traveling with.

People have been quite forthcoming for my smaller units but for my large house I have caught the traces of people having a loud, wild party, which I totally hate because people who are not paying don't respect your space and is left in a horrible condition. 

After I have caught a series of guests lying about the purpose of renting and the number of people I've installed a security camera right outside the entrace and let them know about the security camera right outside the house. I'm not sure if it's because of it but now I see that my guests frank about even a one-night visit of a couple more friends during their stay.

This is what I wrote on my listing's house rule -

*** Exterior security camera is present for safety at the front door, additional guests not part of the reservation will incur additional guest fees or immediate cancellation of the reservation ***

And, this is what I've bought if you are interested. It works wireless and on batteries. You gets a message each time the camera senses a motion and you can watch the video uploaded on the cloud.

http://www.amazon.com/Arlo-Smart-Security-Camera-System/dp/B00P7EVST6

I think maybe it's a good idea to let them know that there's a way that you can find out so that they would self police. 🙂

Piers0
Level 1
Devon, UK

Sounds a bit 'scolding' 

Nick-And-Sam0
Level 1
Calgary, Canada

This happens a lot at our properties too.  People book for 1 or 2 and then they bring 6 & 10!  It is obviously theft on our part as Hosts as we have to pick up after the pieces.  We tried putting in the House Rules, writing in the listing, posting the rules on the wall and on the fridge.  

We outline in the rules that if you bring more than the reservation, we charge $20/person extra and it would be deducted from the security deposit.  But the guests ignore it, and they bring their friends over to have a sleepover or party anyway!!  

We had guests who brought 6people, but booked for 1, and they had a house party.  It was confirmed by the room guest who heard them in the lower level and condoms lying around the property. We tried to claim the extra charges through the security deposit, the guests denied the claim, and Airbnb didn't support us with the numerous evidence we brought to them.  This left us very discouraged and worried.  It meant that Airbnb would NOT allow us to uphold or to even enforce our House Rule, which states "If you bring more guests than the reservation, we will charge an additional guest fee to the security deposit."

Then we finally decided to LOCK UP all the sheets and bedrooms if they made a 1guest booking.  Then incrementally we open up each bedroom as the reservation number increases.  Logically; why would a booking for 1guest need to use 2 or 3 bedrooms?

Anycase, we hope this works out because the winter months are tough!