Day 29: My first Airbnb experience

Kimberly136
Level 3
Greenville, SC

Day 29: My first Airbnb experience

December 29th entry from host, Kimberly 

My first Airbnb guest experience was in Hendersonville, North Carolina, where my son and I stayed in a carriage House hosted by John, who wrote two days in advance to inquire as to whether he could stock the fridge with anything we might like besides the bottle of wine he left, fresh coffee, condiments, and a freezer packed that he offered- we may consume any of its contents. I couldn't believe it when I read the message! No hotel has ever called me in advance of a booking to make such a welcoming gesture!! John opened the door to our Airbnb experience on the whole. Two days later, we ventured on to Greenville, SC, where we now reside. We stayed with Jessica and her husband and two year old, their 2nd baby due in one week! Their beautiful two year old acting as an amazing little host, befriended us both instantly- my son was 14- but this two year old and he connected like they were equals. Their craftsman style bungalow was a stone's throw from lovely Main Street- another awesome experience! Next, on to Charleston, SC, where we stayed with another Jessica, a yoga instructor, mother of a beautiful teenage daughter and a two year old son, Kiah. They had a beautiful home on the outskirts of Charleston in the marshland woods- breathtaking scenery, an indoor salt water pool and amazing yoga studio. 

By the time we'd arrived, I was already thinking how incredibly authentic this Airbnb experience could be and how unique each experience is.  I asked Jessica if she liked being a host and told her I was considering hosting when I returned home after only 3 stays! Jessica provided me with the best advice I think a person considering hosting could receive: 

Jessica said, (I'm paraphrasing, not quoting) there are millions of people using Airbnb. Many people aren't crazy about hotels. I could relate, I've had a few bad hotel experiences while traveling for work and felt that the cookie cutter, lack of sincere customer service and safety issues could be improved upon greatly in the hotel industry. She went on to say, if you craft your personal profile on your listing to provide enough information about who you are, you'll attract like minded guests.

Our conversation was much longer, as my son and I were in a state of conflict, this trip was to find a property where we could open a BnB, which I'd hoped to do for almost 30 years, but hadn't gotten around to yet. My son was not in favour of moving from our northern New York home town so we were experiencing a bit of turmoil. He supported the idea of me running a bed and breakfast in general, but wanted to do it where he'd grown up. I didn't want to live in the tundra anymore. The winters are brutal, even for a skier!

Jessica provided a very peaceful environment, made us a huge healthy breakfast, her son Kiah, was so loving and fun, that she literally put us back together again! 

I left there thinking, since our home hasn't sold yet, I could do my apprenticeship running a single room Airbnb out of my home until it sold and then get started with my full scale Bed and Breakfast already knowing I could be proficient.  

I went home, dismantled my family room, which was adjacent to a full bath bought a good bed, put up my listing, carefully crafting my profile to reflect my interests and values and inviting interesting, respectful people to come stay. 

Two days later (only one week from returning from our trip), I had my first guest, a travel guide from Seneca, NY, near my hometown of Rochester. He gave me five stars and shared some more advice and I was off and running. 
My Airbnb in Madrid, NY was a great success and I achieved Superhost status within the first 9 months or so. I had amazing guests from all over! Then my house sold and our lives took a detour, but a year later, we moved to Greenville, opened our current Airbnb first with one room, then as demand grew, added a second. Now I co-host for my boyfriend (3properties in NY and FL) and occasionally for another couple in Greenville. I love the experience. Airbnb is still growing fast for a relatively new business and concept, so there are certainly glitches along the way, but they keep working to make it a great experience for travelers and hosts and I so love the concept.

I've stayed in Airbnbs in several states in the US,  7 provinces of Italy, Nicaragua (3), and booked my boyfriend in multiple Airbnbs in several countries. 

The unifying theme is that people are people and like to feel at home when they travel. I try to be myself, be respectful of my guests needs, offer a healthy breakfast by asking what they may like in advance. I take my cues from the hosts I stay with and try to keep improving the experience I offer. It's such a unique opportunity to connect with people on a personal level we might otherwise never have had an opportunity to meet. I may never have a full scale BnB, but I will likely always have an Airbnb! A quote from the Holstee Manifesto, "...life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them..."!

13 Replies 13
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Kimberly136 this is the way it should be, shouldn't it?  I would add a quote from Nate Blecharczyk: 

"A stranger is just a friend I haven't met yet."

Happy New Year!

Claire, 

I love that! Thank you!! So true.

Nice to meet you, new friend!

Kimberly

@Kimberly136    🙂 Happy New Year!

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

When we came to France, we wanted to buy a hotel in the South. The procedure was lenghty and seemed impossible to succeed from afar, so we got an apartment to be residents and an office for the company... a few yesrs later and after another job in between, those two apartments became our first airbb’s or better the same thing before airbnb was born. Now I mostly do onsite hosting in my Parisan hone, but still have the firmer office - 2 months in the South from tomorrow on 😉

I often wonder, what would be different if we had succeeded to get the hotel, probably like you must wonder, if it would be nicer to have a full BnB or more work and bother. 

We lived a while in the hotel and became friends with the owners, met the guests and had a close look behibd the curtain, so I can compare both experiences. 

I think I’m happier with the airbnb guests. Less incone than a 30 beds hotel, much less worries about mortgages and staff, but apart from that, the experience is more intense. You will have hotel or BnB guests too, who you meet on a personal level as well, but running a business, you just won’t gave the time to sit down for breakfast with them or ask them about their adventures, when they come home. 

It’s certainly a good training on the way to your dream. @Kimberly136. I wish your dream comes true and you will have a lot of experience to apply in your own BnB, also the experience to discern people, so you can still sit down with a guest or two per day or have a chat at the entrance desk with those who make you feel richer for having talked to them. 

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

That's what great about Airbnb you come in as a guest and leave as a friend 

Si!

@Kimberly136 - awesome story!  It's the kind of thing people must read BEFORE becoming a host on Airbnb.  It "should" be about the personal connection and appreciation of the host's offering. We feel the same!

Perhaps Airbnb will create a way for prospective new hosts to get a glimpse of experienced hosts' perspectives while considering becoming a host- maybe they the co-hosting section of the platform...

Although this was sort of preaching to the choir, it's the one concept that has truly shaped the way I host and it simply couldn't work better for me, so I wanted to share it, even though you all, I'm certain, already knew that.  More offered as a reflection, I guess, than intended as advice for this group.

Thank you Alice and Jeff!

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hello Kimberly
I have read your story and I like it. You describe your dream and experiences, and talk about your way of being a host and what you have learned as a guest. It really enriches this serie of stories and will serve as an exemple to people that wants to be a host.
The idea of having an Inn or small hotel fancies me! So far it is still a vague idea, It is not a plan yet. 

Thank you, kindly, José,

I appreciate your response, I've often wondered if anyone else has tried their hand at Airbnb, thinking they might try something bigger one day perhaps, now I see both you and Helga have also given that thought. 

If I ever get to Rio, it is you I shall stay with! One of my recent guests is Italian but migrated with her family to Sao Paulo as a child, she has a branding/marketing business, Troiano (business name and her last name), her son goes to school near my home. She also agreed to participate in my book project. We're almost exactly the same age, have very similar interests. It's so easy to unite with people in your home, they let their guard down and open up to the possibility of new friendship.

Thank you for your comment and your kindness! Happy New Year! 

Theyshowed the amazing fireworks display in Rio, last night on TV just after the break in NY dropped. It looks like an incredible place to visit!

Wouldn't it be cool if we could each share our own pics of favourite sites in our various locales in this thread?

Hello Kimberly
First of all, sorry being late in answering your question.
Yes, here you are.. meaning, sending 3 pics of Rio, taken by me.
Rio is a kind of "melting pot city" and a big city where there are beatiful and good things, bad things and ugly things.. almost like some other big cities on earth.
If one visit Rio, must be willing to see the bright side and enjoy the city.
If you ever come to Rio, I hope you enjoy the city! If I host you, I hope I will not let you down! 🙂
Cheers !

1c.jpg

2c.jpg3c.jpg

When I get to Rio, I will absolutely stay with you!  No plans yet, but I'll save your listing!  Great pics, Renato!  It looks absolutely lovely!  Our small city, Greenville, SC also has good points and not so good, but I love it here and find all kinds of great things to point out to my guests!  I feel fortunate to have found a city in the US, that I actually feel at home in, finally!  I'm from northern New York, almost to Canada, and it's very different here in many ways but also very similar, in that I live near mountains and rivers and we have 4 seasons.  The southern accents are so different from my own, but there are people from all over the world here, for a small city (67,000 pop), it's quite diverse. A lot of Europeans live here, making it interesting and food choices abundant, I have noticed lately, quite a few Asians, as well.  Where we lived in NY, it was mostly rednecks (less educated, rural, obese- many) and almost all white.  Here, by contrast so much more colorful stock of people!  I love that!  My son and I have friends from the world over, that we've met here in Greenville.  He plans to be an international business CEO, so good for him to be comfortable in international circles.  It is my pleasure to meet you Renato! If you ever make it to Greenville (or Italy, as I hope to be there within a couple years), please come stay with us! All best to you!

Kimberly136
Level 3
Greenville, SC

Happy New Year Everyone!

I just read in this mornings's news, a couple interesting updates about Airbnb, 8 years ago-Airbnb's first New Year's, the first guests celebrating in Airbnbs numbered 1400. The 2017/18 New Year's saw 3 million Airbnb guests! Airbnb is now valued at $30 billion. Good job hosts, Team Airbnb!