Dear Airbnb...what on Earth are you thinking?

Dear Airbnb...what on Earth are you thinking?

Dear Airbnb. My apartment is 9 rooms including three bedrooms. YOU  want me to pay $25/hour to clean a space that takes 4 hours to flip. My neighbor rents a small studio apartment for $79 but you send me this email to drop the price to that level on a space 5 times larger...(Hint..you already know what type of guest I would get at that price. And according to other hosts you don’t side with hosts or honor the guarantee on damages). 

so...drumroll...in advance if your IPO I respectfully decline this RIDICULOUS suggestion.

PS...I am almost fully booked for the next two months at my original price. What extra days in the next 30 days are you looking at to come up with $715?

AirbnbFill up your calendar and make more next monthIn the last 6 months, 29% of the available nights on your calendar were booked.Smart Pricing already helps you get booked when demand is low, but you could make more money overall if you’re willing to host at a lower price only on those less popular days.Your current minimum price is $125. If you changed your minimum price to $88, you could make up to $715 more in the next 30 days.Update your minimum price

31 Replies 31
Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

@Christine615 

LOVE what you wrote.  Such good humor and way with words in the face of...less than accurate and wise advice.

I've learned to totally ignore these airbnb automated "Mc Suggestions" and write them off as intoxicated late night pranks by IT, because none of it applies to me or my market at all. I keep turning them off, but they keep coming back...

Stick to what's working for you @Christine, and I will too.  Do what brings you joy and a decent income as you host your guests in YOUR home in YOUR area...it's working well for you!

I'm doing well, haven't nearly the history with this platform as you and others here, and luckily had only a couple of bad guests in a year of superhosting.

To anyone else questioning the "airbnb 'bot advice" here's the market research that's been working for me:

1- Ignore the "pricing advice" (They're 'bots programmed by people in cubicles who are not hosts and really have no idea who we are or what our area or place is like.

Do your own market research and set your own prices. It's simple:

a- log into airbnb as a guest

b- add enough "filters" to fit your own place...and viola! 

What appears on pages 1-3 is your competition!  You can set your prices manually yourself  and adjust them whenever you wish...to be "competitive," what you feel you're worth, or any combination that makes your heart (and ledger) sing!

2- If you choose to use "the bot" + "instant book," expect that ANYONE can and will book expecting a 5-star hotel for cheap, or the cheapest thing out there (thank's to the "bots), and be ready to deal with whatever comes with it and be responsible for all of it because ABB doesn;t get involved in "personality disputes" over things  like "house rules" disrespected and damage done by guests.  I've chosen to do my own thing, screen every guest, and it's been working well for me.

3- This is YOUR business, and you get to run it YOUR way. This platform isn't the only one.  Check out the wisdom of hosts in the community forums here and elsewhere who have, lived, learned, and diversified.  Compare the similarities and differences between your options in cost of booking services, what's actually provided, the vibe, the community, any differences in what you could make, and most of all, be the host you want to be and make this fun again.

I seiously love hosting and I'm not going to change my style because I enjoy what I do, it works well...and it's MY business.

@Susan1028 

You mean this is our business?? 😎 Did anyone tell Airbnb? Lol! 

(Good points btw,)