Declining reservation then penalisedby Airbnb

Julia1
Level 8
London, United Kingdom

Declining reservation then penalisedby Airbnb

There are a number of reasons for declining reservation requests, as a live in host I have a life as well as being a host, sometimes I have an engagement e.g. for theatre in the evening, and therefore cannot check in a guest that evening, it is my home so I do not want a co-host.  I do not want to mark that date as unavailable as a guest arriving in the afternoon is fine.  If ai have a reservation request but have to decline as guest wants to arrive when I will be out I am penalised for refusing, need some way of being able to state arrival not possible between x and y hours on z date.

32 Replies 32

I don't spend that much time on the website to constantly change my times. I have other things to do.  So my weekdays are are accepting a guest 5-10 PM, but I could set my weekend hours at during the day on a regular bases.  Usually, on a weekend I can rearrange my schedule to meet their needs. But I can't adjust my weekday hours because of a full time job.  I do think it is feasable.  

Julia1
Level 8
London, United Kingdom

That is the approach I have adopted up until now but I am now being threatened with being delisted by Airbnb because I do notaccept 85% of reservation requests.

Giuseppe5
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi Julia, Unfortunately Airbnb changed a lot, in worse. The only thing that matter for them is having hosts to to accept as mutch reservations as possible, thretening you to remove the listing is the last aggressive strategy, and if you don't have instant booking you can't have the verified ID option. They still can't understand that renting a room or a home is not the same thing and people want to feel safe. Airbnb is supposed to be hospitality not just business. However you have alternative to airbnb but it's a pity to leave it.

Kate505
Level 2
Linlithgow, United Kingdom

Hi Julia.  Did you see my response about having a keysafe so that guests can let themselves in?  This truly would solve all your problems. Is there a reason why you don't think this is an option for you?

Kate505
Level 2
Linlithgow, United Kingdom

Sorry, I've just spotted your response. I host from my  home, I have a single and a double room.  There has NEVER been a problem with safety.  You can tell from the conversation with the guests and their reviews if they are going to be respectful and honest, and are grateful to have access to a key. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Before any hosts consider installed key safes or keyless entry technology etc. they need to look into their home insurance policy because quite often these will invalidate this.

A recent guest broke my front door lock, which was very secure and very expensive, so I had lengthy converstions with the locksmith about my options and he made it clear that most insurance policies in the UK require a British Standard lock and often that you deadbolt the door at night etc. I had asked him about getting a keyless entry system but he warned me to carefully check my insurance policy before doing that. I don't know about lock boxes, but I would imagine there is a similar issue there.

Most UK insurers don't cover you if you are hosting Airbnb guests anyway, but I imagine those that do have even stricter restrictions about entry systems. I would be interested to hear from anyone who uses one of these and knows.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The whole issue of 'de-listing' is a bit absurd really, because it makes no business sense.

The ~insinuation~ of this even happening comes from the fundamental stupidity of the Airbnb computer messages, from the nerds that decided on them, for you never talk to adults by telling them what to improve upon and at the same time threaten them with what will happen (using an extreme example) if they don't. 

Patrick180
Level 3
Ellensburg, WA

Yes, I just noticed now that I am being measured by how many requests I decline.  That's a HUGE problem for me because more than 50% of the time I'm declining because guests are asking for DIFFERENT dates that actually are not available!!  
This is caused by me having a very popular wedding venue property that people desperately WANT to be available even when they are told that it's not, by Airbnb's phone app being so lousy for seeking future dates and MOST OF ALL because guests aren't allowed to send me any request without first inputting dates!!!

So basically, I'm going to be penalized because of someone else's mistakes.  Good job, Airbnb.

(And don't even get me started on losing SuperHost status because of ONE cancellation per year!!)

Yes would be frustrating ! Especially when they allow for us to have our own rules etc that some people just don't read as well 

Eric737
Level 1
Roberts Creek, Canada

I also just noticed that my stats for acceptance have been flagged. The reservation was declined because the potential guest wanted to have an exception to our clearly stated pets rule. The same could apply to those who ask to bring more guests than beds, or want to host a party for a dozen. Host stats should not be compromised by guests asking for hosting outside resources or other clearly stated policies. This is substantially unjust, especially given the 85% threshold, below which we will lose our superhost status. 

I just send a message that I will pre-approve/accept ON CONDITION my house rules are followed and 100% respected - no exceptions. Which means, I welcome YOU (single guest) but your friend/partner/child/pet will not be allowed entry into my home at any time. No guests of the guest allowed in my home at all. No smoking and smokers not welcome. No pets and no smelly cooking. - if the guest tries to break any of my house rules, I will assume the GUEST is willing to accept the consequences of a guest cancellation, and will ask ABB to proceed with a guest cancellation while enforcing the (guest) cancellation policy in place, and I will provide no additonal refund at all. Then I say if you don't like my rules, let my pre-approval expire or withdraw the reservation request  immediately (within the next 1 hour) or cancel later  - up to the guest to decide if they want to "test me"........ but I make it abundantly clear I won't put up with any BS from the guest 🙂 

Then I pre-approve or give them an hour or two to withdraw the request....... this has always worked for me till now. 

Julia1
Level 8
London, United Kingdom

I just checked on the Airbnb Help page and they make no mention of delisting if acceptances fall below a certain percentage, I wouldtherefore welcome clarification from someone from Airbnb.  

Under Basic Requirements on your listing  Accepted Reservations. If you fall below the 88% target you will start getting the messages is my understanding. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Letti0

I even got the warning message when the rate WAS 88% for that listing, not below. The Airbnb rep couldn't explain to me why...

@Huma0  My guess would be that your actual rating was something like 87.88888889% and rounded up to the 88% on the system, but the robot automated system sees 87.88888889%  as under 88% sends out warnings.