Delete Extenuating Circumstances policy, If Airbnb is unable to offer trip insurance must delete it!

Andrea1760
Level 5
Playa del Carmen, Mexico

Delete Extenuating Circumstances policy, If Airbnb is unable to offer trip insurance must delete it!

I'm sorry but Airbnb is no longer justifiable,  "Under Consideration"  from too long time...

Please read this message (link above) written by Allison on the Airbnb community one year ago.

it's already been a year and nothing has been done.  So it does not matter much to Airbnb because it's just the hosts who get lost?

It is an absurd abuse of power with the money from hosts, Airbnb has shifted 100% of the financial loss to hosts,  it's a steal.

Please let us react to this injustice.

We all understand the kinds of life events that can prevent travel. Rather than upsetting guests over non-refundable trips, Airbnb has shifted 100% of the financial loss to hosts by way of the extenuating circumstances policy. Why do guests not have some skin in the game when an issue arises on their end?

This isn't a fair practice. We choose our cancellation policies based on our market, personal economics, and degree of risk aversion. The extenuating circumstances policy creates a loophole over which hosts have no control.

If Airbnb is unable to offer trip insurance, they should allow hosts to choose two cancellation policies: One that applies for regular cancellations (currently implemented), and one that applies to extenuating circumstances (eg. no refund, 50%, full refund).

7 Replies 7
Andrea1760
Level 5
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Claudiu-Nicolae0
Level 10
Barcelona, Spain

If Extenuating Circumstances policy will be canceled for guests, it will also be canceled for hosts. That means, that you will be responsible for paying for rellocation of your guests and other expenses (for example, such as transportation) in case of last munite cancellations (as other booking channels require). Are you really ready for this? For me, as profesional host, it is not a problem. But I doubt that people who are renting their houses privately can bear these expenses, if something happens.

Hi Claudiu thanks for your message,
 in 7 years I have not canceled any booking on about 450 receipts  but i've received last minutes cancelation the same day of checkin with extenuating circumstances!

I prefer to be able to decide whether to accept extenuating circumstances or not.
Airbnb can provide an insurance policy  for guest in case a guest cancels due to  extenuating circumstances.
As it stands now a guest may cancel the day before arrival due to extenuating circumstances and the host will receive nothing for that booking, could be out thousands of dollars in unexpected losses.

When it does happen to you it is like getting in a car wreck with out insurance!

Airbnb should allow hosts to choose two cancellation policies:
One that applies for regular cancellations (currently implemented), and one that applies to extenuating circumstances (eg. no refund, 50%, full refund).
 So the guest can choose himself if want to complete the reservation or not, do not you agree?

Agree. Well said.  Is there host protection available via other organizations?

Jamie168
Level 3
Kamloops, Canada

Agree! Similar to an airline ticket! Plus Airbnb makes about $2000/month just on my 2 properties. I’m sure that when an “extenuating circumstance” happens they could just refund them, instead of making US refund them. 

Jessica52
Level 2
Sherwood, OR

100% agreed!  I am a victim today.  I lost a  3-days reservation due to the guest's injury and cancelled it the last minutes!  Airbnb refunded the full amount  to the guest and took it out from my payout! Airbnb leave the rist to the host !  Not taking care of us