Do you allow film and photo shoots in your listing?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Do you allow film and photo shoots in your listing?

article-0-12915AA1000005DC-111_634x631_popup.jpg

I have a bit of experience with this but was just wondering what other hosts' perspectives were on the subject.

I've always had photo shoots at my home because I'm a magazine editor so have lots of industry contacts, plus the house has been listed with a location agency.

However, since I started hosting, I've also received quite a lot of requests for this via Airbnb. Most of these are not from professional photographers, but students, amateur photographers, people launching a new brand/product etc. who can't afford agency rates and are therefore trying Airbnb instead. I say no to the majority as they seem to expect to hire the place for the room rate (and some even expect to stay in the room to boot), not realising that I am in the industry and know full well what a shoot involves and what the going rates are! 

Still, if they are willing to pay a reasonable rate (much lower than agency fees, but higher than Airbnb rates) and willing to stick to any conditions I specify, then it is a good way to make some extra cash. I've only had one bad experience with this, which was with some film students (NEVER AGAIN), but otherwise it has worked out well. You get more than the room rate and they don't get to stay the night. There is cleaning involved but usually no laundry.

Often, they are just using Airbnb as a way to make contact and want to book direct, which I am not keen on. I don't want to be delisted for breaking Airbnb policy just to save someone a few pounds.

Another idea is to barter with a photographer who also has experience of shooting locations. I'd be willing to let them shoot here for a greatly reduced rate in exchange for a few interior shots of the house. I haven't tried this yet as it's difficult to exchange websites etc. on the message system prior to booking, and I'd need to be sure they know what they are doing as shooting locations is not the same as shooting fashion, product etc.

Has anyone else tried this and what has been your experience? I wonder what Airbnb would think about adding a category for photo shoot locations?

56 Replies 56
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Oh, and in case anyone is interested, here is the rate card the agency sent me for photo shoots (stills):

PHOTOGRAPHIC SHOOTS(Hours 9am – 6pm, weekday hires)

Editorial Publications                                                                                              £550 - £750

(fashion/lifestyle/celebrity/interiors/food/gaming/sports magazines)

Advertorial                                                                                                                 £650 - £850

(a sponsored shoot displayed in Editorial Publications)

Look Book                                                                                                                 £800 - £1000

(online and/or printed ‘catalogue’ providing insight into new looks)

Catalogue / Advertising                                                                                          £900 - £1500

(online/print catalogue, pr, marketing, advertising)

Behind the scenes filming – handheld                                         extra fee:       £100 - £250

(to be used alongside any of the above. As a means to record the background work that goes into producing the shoot in question. Normally used for social media)

Jonna-Margaux0
Level 2
Huntington Beach, CA

First I must mention that from sunny Southern California the BRITs certainly have a dry sense of humor that is most enjoyable. second I wonder if you could host a photo shoot as An”experience” rather than as a rental of a sleeping room.   We did engage with Sony pictures entertainment at one point to do an entire reality TV show in our home in Huntington Beach and for that we needed a contract with them stating a daily rate and giving them seperate places for equipment, editing and approval from our HOA to film the grounds, park and helicopter shots of our neighborhood. We also each had separate contracts for our compensation as we were the subject of the show including the kids. They even sent a film crew with me in the front of our Range Rover while I picked up the kids from school for B role.   I wouldn’t do the acting parts again but I’d rent the house.  Funny but there was a lot of sand to clean up from these weighted bags that the film crew used.  

@Jonna-Margaux0 

That's an interesting idea to list shoots in the experience category, but they would need to have different prices rather than one fixed price per person for the experience, as a photographer shooting a model portfolio with a small crew is completely different than a full on film/TV crew with trucks and tonnes of lighting. It could work though if there was  a staggered pricing system.

@Jonna-Margaux0 Certainly - I can think of some great photoshoot "experiences" which may be accomodated, but one would need to be selective in what type of "experience" is actually provided or might indeed be perceived  🙂

Something like... A family portrait, could be beneficial to guests as well as potentially lucrative. It is something which we have thought of,  but not yet initiated. In our particular case we have families staying often meeting up from across country so there is a specific opportunity especially as families are not always together. 

Like the previous link provided: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Just-missed-that-one/m-p/974459#M244283 there could be scope for more for hosts. Landscape, Night and Wildlife photography experiences could also be viable.

Neil131
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

I recently had an enquiry for a midweek booking. Some questionsa bout early check in and late check out which I agreed to  and then a third email asking do I mind if they film some scenes from an independant film while theyre there almost as an afterthought.  I said no thats a totally different proposal and I doubt my insurance would cover it. As a professional photogrpaher for over 20 years I was surprized at the naivetly from the sender. Ive been around enough film crews to know most dont care about the condition of the location once theyve got their take. So i would be asking for a signifficant deposit upfront if considering accepting a similar proposal.

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Neil131 

All the inquiries I've had are straight forward. I've never had a btw (by the way....).

All those I've accepted have had Insurance / Public Liability.

Another condition is that the rooms to be used are photographed beforehand to ensure everything is returned to it's proper place. -- Moreover, I am at home in attendence, discreetly out the way, but available if need be.

I've only had one case of damage, and one of the crew happened to be  a very capable handyman, and repaired the chair.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Neil131 

I've only had one enquiry where the person was not immediately upfront about doing a shoot. A young lady wanted to book for a couple of people for a couple of nights but asked if it was okay to take photographs/videos on her phone while she was here as the place looked so lovely. I was immediately suspicous of this because she was based in London, so it seemed odd for her to book an Airbnb here.

Anyway, it turned out that she wanted to take marketing photos for her jewellery brand, thought she could do this for the Airbnb room rate and get to stay a couple of nights in a fancy room as a treat! I very quickly corrected her and explained that she would need to pay a higher rate to shoot here and that that rate did not include sleeping in the room too. There was a lot of back and forth over rates, T&Cs etc. but in the end she did not book.

Yes, I think there are probably a lot of naive people out there who think that Airbnb is a simple and cheap way of booking a location. Luckily, most of them do mention from the outset that they want to book it for a shoot though so I can get down to the nitty gritty of it without a lot of investigation.

Monique497
Level 2
Paramaribo, Suriname

great.

Does anyone know if there is language or information specific to how Airbnb handles these types of requests? I can't seem to find anything, so just want to make sure if I allow this, that we won't be violating our agreement with Airbnb.

Thanks!

@Brandon-And-Robert0 

Airbnb doesn't handle this or any other type of request.

Hosts handle the request, and chose for what purpose they use their property.

No difference.

Yuki242
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Huma0Thanks for the interesting post !

I am very new to all this and wondered if you could point me in the right direction...  

I've just been approached by WALL TO WALL MEDIA to film 3 interviews in my lounge with access to kitchen and wc for an ITV documentary series. from 7am to 2.30pm . for 4 crew and 3 people being interviewed .

They've sent me a LOCATION RELEASE FORM WITH FEE (for Individual) but its a bit confusing what to put for the fee as Airbnb would get more than I would ?? - I've offered about £335

Is it essential to fill out such a form ?

They say they have Combined Liability Insurance (public/products) and have sent me a copy of the certificate 

Does this mean insurance for any damages to property is covered ?

I also just been asked to do a fashion photography shoot for a new online site for a day with 4 people but they don't have insurance ... 

Do you happen to know of agencies in london area so I can check going rate ? 

Thank you !!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Yuki242 

Only seeing your post now due to my laptop breaking but I think we already covered the insurance aspect via message.

As for rates, I don’t think agencies usually publish these on their sites. If you look back earlier in this thread, you will see I posted example daily rates the agency I was with sent to me although that was a few years ago now. Based on that, the amount you’re charging sounds about right for a half day of filming interviews. Have a look to get examples for stills shoots, I,e, the fashion shoot, but bear in mind this should vary based on whether it is stills, filming or both and if it’s for editorial or commercial use.

RE them not having insurance, in that case I would request a deposit. It’s not unusual for small damages to occur, especially with film/video shoots due to equipment being lugged around, furniture being moved etc, but less so with stills.

you should also think about covid related safety. I just turned down a film crew because I really don’t think it’s a great idea to have so many strangers coming in and out for a day, especially during a lockdown. I have only accepted long term guests since the pandemic started.