Do you have books for your guests?

Answered!
Rubén16
Level 10
Vermont, United States

Do you have books for your guests?

Curious if other hosts have reading material/books for their guests, in my case I love reading books, and pictured below is the little library in  my guests cottage. several of my guests have mentioned how wonderful it was that they were able to read a book during their retreat.

I have found that having books are great for long and short term stay guests and also I have noticed they are read more frequently in rainy and snow filled days.

Share your book story and or picture of your library.

IMG_7315.JPG

Rubén
1 Best Answer
Michelle1164
Level 10
Clearwater, KS

@Rubén16 This is my first time commenting in the community but have done lots of reading on the forum. My husband and I started hosting a room in our home in September 2018. I like seeing that others have books and games for their guests to read and play. Right outside our guest bedroom we have a bookshelf that guests are free to take and/or leave a book. However, in the family room we have a personal collection of books that guests are free to read while here. 

I am also a lover of board games, so have placed a shelf full of games out for people to enjoy while here.

6377771F-36CE-45D5-8A40-1FFB83F6E24C.jpeg

1867F95F-EDF2-4764-B233-3C6BFD760F27.jpeg

“It’s not where you go, it’s who you meet along the way.” Wizard of Oz

View Best Answer in original post

60 Replies 60
Carol777
Level 2
Montevallo, AL

I provide magazines, some decorating and some general interest and local news bulletins.  I also provide games for when the weather turns ugly .  

Rubén16
Level 10
Vermont, United States

@Carol777  I am also thinking of putting games in the cottage, what games do you have?

Rubén

I have a deck of cards, a combination set of  chess, checkers, backgammon.  A few other common games.  

I have giant dice roll set, giant checkers, deck of cards, a monopoly, and a fusball table available...I also have some coloring books and some general interest book (including on on the history of our town).

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Rubén16   I host a private room in my home, so there's no library in the guest quarters, but I let guests know they can borrow any books off my living room booksheves. I have a ton of movies as well on DVD that they are welcome to watch, but haven't had anyone take me up on that- it's never cold here and I don't get many guests in the summer rainy season here, so most want to be out and about, not sittiing inside watching a movie.

But almost every guest is a reader and want a book to take to the beach with them. They normally come equipped with one or two of their own, and many leave them behind when they go, so the library is growing. I have a shelf of books that guests can read while here, but need to leave in my collection, and a shelf with ones that they are welcome to take with them if not finished.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Rubén16  A friend in Canada who hosts has a stack of games for guests, as well as playing cards. One couple told her how happy they were to find a cribbage set there- they hadn't played in years and had forgotten how much fun it was.

In the digital age, many people have forgotten how much fun it can be to play board games, and some younger folks who rely on their devices and Netflix for entertainment may have never even been exposed to them. 

Rubén16
Level 10
Vermont, United States

@Sarah977  Board games are great,  however if I have enough people at the house we start to play dominoes:)

Rubén

Yes! I just had a family with two teens stay here last week...they  left me a lovely note how it was the most memorable vacation, because they hung out and played all of the games in the cabinet :). I have a cabinet full of  games including chess /checkers.

LBR
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Couldn't find a good pic of bookshelves, but there are quite a few books in the house. And games are great too! @Rubén16 

games2.jpg

games 1.jpglivingsmall2.jpgSide Window 2.jpg

@Sandra0 What a lovely room! #Goals

@Sandra126 I'm obsessed with your house!  You had one post a short while ago about a guest who came in and made a face, and then her review said something like "If you like quirky," and I was like WHO IS THIS INSANE PERSON.  Your house is everything.  :):):)

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Ann72, thank you, really appreciate it. You are super nice. So please come and stay as a guest, that's the spirit I like!

@Sandra126 I've already saved your place, so one of these days!

Rubén16
Level 10
Vermont, United States

WOW @Sandra126  That is a great collection of books and games, I am writing down the names of the games now, I think I will add the games to my cottage, thanks for the pictures they are awsome:)

Rubén