Tip of the Week 5: Essential Amenities for an Outstanding Hosting Experience

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Tip of the Week 5: Essential Amenities for an Outstanding Hosting Experience

As we progress in our "Tip of the Week" series, I'm thrilled to delve into the amenities that can truly elevate your hosting experience. A space decked out with top-notch amenities can transform a stay into an unforgettable experience.🌻

This week's tip comes from Superhost @Lorna170 in the best practices for being a successful host thread. Lorna shared the most undervalued but important amenities that can significantly add to your guest’s staycations:

• Quality bed linens along with quality curtains and decorative throw pillow covers.
  • Bathrooms that are spotless and have quality towels.
  • Kitchen equipment for all styles of cooking.

We're eager to know: What are your go-to amenities? Maybe you've already incorporated some of Lorna's suggestions?

We’re excited to hear and learn from you all. Let's gather the essential amenities for an outstanding hosting experience, and don’t forget to give a thumbs up👍 to the best tips shared. 😊

👉 TOTW series

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

22 Replies 22
Carisa11
Level 1
Washington, DC

I great amenity for hosts that have white or light colored bath towels are black makeup towels. I’ve thrown away a number of white towels away because of makeup stains.

Same. Dark makeup towels rolled up next to sink, and hand towels hanging by sink color matched. White towels, still do hand towels (mostly decorative) and wash cloths all hanging, ready to go. CostCo is best (for all linens really), and has a liberal exchange policy.

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Thank you, @Jeremiah112 and @Carisa11, for the great tips! 😊 Any ideas on how to communicate to guests that the black towels are meant specifically for makeup use?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Irma271
Level 3
California, United States

I purchase black makeup towels from Amazon.  They are embroidered with the word ‘makeup’

IMG_1643.jpeg

Yes I too purchased them with embroidery of “makeup” on the towels. I do also have a note in the bathroom asking guests to not use the white towels for makeup. 

Martin4936
Level 1
Nesovice, Czechia

Dobrý den, rád vás poznávám, mám zatím skvělé zkušenosti s Airbnb , rád bych se podělil o zkušenosti a byl přítelem komunity hostitelů, zdraví Martin (Česká republika) 

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Martin4936 Welcome to our Community 😊I'm glad to hear that you're having a wonderful experience with Airbnb.

I'm curious, what are your favourite amenities? Have you given any of our hosts' suggestions a try?

-----

Sandra5394
Level 2
Windsor, CT

What she said and, while I don't have allow cooking in my professional kitchen - mine is a traditional bed and breakfast, I will make room in the fridge or pantry for guests that are staying a few days or more.  

I provide as many spa-like accessories as I can. Bath Bombs and Shower steamers make a wonderful addition and they aren't expensive.  I also provide shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. 

We have a lot of other amenities, too many to list here, but I think the bath accessories have been the most welcome and unexpected surprise for my guests.   

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Thanks for sharing this, @Sandra5394 😊 Have you been offering these bath bombs and shower steamers since you began as a host? Or have you added these accessories based on guests feedback?

-----

I've only added the shower steamers this year, because I love them so much and figured my guests would too.  And it seems they do.  The Bath Bombs have been an accessory since I began hosting 

Wendy1523
Level 2
North Pole, AK

My guests are very surprised with the extent of Breakfast fixings, fruit, snacks, beverages and extra pantry items including PB&J and soup or quick pasta and dessert items have saved the day when flights arrive very late or very early and nothing is open or it is the middle of winter and guests are just trying to get their bearings in the dark.  I have also left special treats for kids, and special occasions for visitors when I am aware in advance.  I have also been mindful and asked of allergies or dietary restrictions. I do maintain a food handlers certificate.

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

WOW, @Wendy1523 . It is great how you put so much effort by providing all these extra touches to ensure a memorable stay ‌👏‌. Kudos ‌🎉‌.

Do your guests usually mention any of these unique details in their reviews?

-----

Yes, they often mention them in their reviews, sometimes specifically sometimes in general. Often in a private message or in our in unit guest book. I think in 2 years we have on had 1 review not 5 stars, they are also one of the few guests I could not give a 5 start rating too as well. 

Remembering a reservation from February that mentioned a birthday- this week I added a small birthday cake. “My husband swears he has nothing to do with the amazing cake in the frig. If not him, how did you know it’s my birthday in a couple days??” 
thesecate the reasons I do what I do! 

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

@Wendy1523 , This is incredibly inspiring. Please feel free to share any pictures you may have from these fantastic surprises.

Thank you so much for sharing.

-----