Does not want to rent if I don't have reviews

Does not want to rent if I don't have reviews

Hi All,

I'm a little frustrated with Savannah from Penticton, BC, Canada.  My friends and I are planning to attend a sporting event near Penticton and requested some information regarding Savannah's unit for rent. 

Her reply was "Sorry, new account with no reviews or info raises red flags for us.". 

My first massage to her was

"Hi Savannah,
Is this the whole unit or portion of it?

THanks"

I do not understand if I'm a first time user of Airbnb, that I'm not allowed to rent?  May be Airbnb should have somekind of notification saying: this person does not rent to first time users....

Any suggestions may help...

Thanks

Faz

20 Replies 20
Noel63
Level 10
Coober Pedy, Australia

I remember the first time I tried to rent an Airbnb. It was extremely frustrating. I didn't understand the difference between a motel and an Airbnb. We were just lucky that a host took a chance on us and explained the need for verified id.

City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

You will have better luck with instant book listings (although some hosts do require that you have positive reviews from other hosts and verified id to instant book. ) Also a photo or more than one showing you in a positive light.  With an inquiry, give the host information before asking for information:

We are three male friends attending a sporting event in your city.  We have never tried Airbnb before but are looking for an experience that is more homelike than a hotel and also perhaps less expensive.  We are quiet and respectful and promise not to make too much noise when we come home late from our event.  One of us is a starving artist, the other two are young professionals.  We look forward to staying at your Airbnb.  Could you tell me please is it a private or a shared space?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I think we are talking to ourselves here...

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Fazmin0 You should atleast consider putting a profile picture of you! I personally would not host you just because of that.Hosts don't want bad surprises.

I have several times received requests for bookings from first-time users of AirBnB - without reviews - this one is obvious, without long messages asking them for presentation, who they are, why visiting my city, ect., BUT without any visible picture of the guest or guests - I always ask them to make their ID with AirBnB, and then I am accepting them.

All of them turned out to be great guests, so I personally am not scared if the guest has not got his visible photo-picture. I think everyone might have his reason not to put it when registering, with ID it is clear that they send their photo-picture to the staff of AirBnB. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Fazmin0,

I am sorry to hear about your first experience booking an Airbnb. Please don't give up, I am sure there are many lovely hosts who would like to host you. I wanted to check if you have seen the responses you have received here as there are some useful tips from hosts, which might make it easier for you.

It would be great to hear from you and I hope you have a great trip. 🙂

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.