Don't guess, Guest!

Adam-And-Nancy0
Level 3
Hamilton, New Zealand

Don't guess, Guest!

I'm a full time guest, travelling the world, working from my laptop. I'm also co-hosting, helping my parents with a cottage on their farm. 

As a guest, my top advice for hosts is this - don't guess, be a guest! 

I notice a lot of comments here about having problems with guests, but I believe if hosts spent more time as guests, they'd become much better guests. Vice versa too, for sure, but that's just not so easy to do. 

My top tips for hosts, based on my last 6 months of full time Airbnb guesting...

1. Provide adequate utensils for the kitchen! Tiny frying pans just don't cut it.
  2. Where possible, comfortable beds/couches are the best thing ever as a guest!
  3. For long term guests, (if the property isn't cleaned weekly) provide some cleaning gear/supplies.
  4. Have a map, to help your guests find good supermarkets, restaurants, laundry services, coffee etc.
  5. Offer enough blankets for even the coldest nights - some guests aren't used to your climate!
  6. Provide enough towels.
  7. Let guests know when rubbish day is, and clearly explain how to take the rubbish out.
  8. Finally, and most importantly, provide all of this information in a digital form, so your guest can easily use Google to translate the details into their language.

What other tips to other guests have?

18 Replies 18
Isabel203
Level 10
Halifax, Canada

THanks for sharing these insights... very helpful!

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I agree, @Adam-And-Nancy0. I was a guest before I was a host, and it helped immensely. Like you, I recommend it highly. 

My big thing is clarity. It is such a comfort when hosts say exactly what will happen at check-in, and exactly what is expected at checkout (where to put the key, etc.). I try to be very clear about that as a host because of my experiences as a guest. 

Great post!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It is fantastic to hear you have travelled the world and have picked up some great things to look out for along the way. Thanks so much for sharing @Adam-And-Nancy0. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Karen700
Level 3
Dallas, TX

Perfect suggestions! I use this site for sending a virtual guidebook for our listing. It's great! https://www.coral.life/

Does this automatically use your information from your listing or do you have to do it all over again and upload photos, etc.?

Martin333
Level 4
Proendos, Spain

Hi

yes couldn't agree more. Check into your own rental and pretend you are travelling for at least for 2 days.

We just did this with our latest property and it is amazing what one discovers.

The little things that count - e.g. forgot our toothbrushes now we put emergency TB's in the bathrooms.

Getting out of the shower unfold the nice towels, now they are wet - ups not enough hooks ...

Nice salad bowl - nice salad - ahh there is no serving spoon. Does the nice corkscrew actually work or is it just a designers wet dream?

Now that the world is full of non smokers - a candle is a nice touch - but without matches or lighter .....

I like the idea of the virtual guidebook - too bad the guide on AirBnB is not working well, one has to resize the screen to get to the buttons .... maybe I use the above mentioned one in future.

Bobbi15
Level 3
Edmonds, WA

I agree - staying in another Airbnb or even in your own is the best way to realize what may be missing.  

I furnish hair dryers in every bathroom, curling irons, flat irons, etc.  I also furnish a silicon mat in the bathrooms to protect my bathroom counters from the irons.  

Mirrors in areas of makeup, hair, dressing are important.  I've stayed in Airbnbs that have one tiny medicine cabinet mirror over a sink with no counter - no place for hair dyer, curling iron, makeup....  no grounded outlet (older home).  Quaint is nice but not preferred when it comes to the expected basics.

It's important to put cleaners above 'toddler' height if they are provided.  Under the sink isn't a safe place to do that.  I provide areas in my pantry shelving for various items and identify those for the guests.

I purposely don't leave lighters or matches as I don't want any candles lit in my home. (or smoking)

I'd like to have a way to have the 'I forgot this' items accessible if needed but not left out for guests to carry home if they don't need them.  Does anyone have any suggestions for that?  

If all bedrooms and bathrooms are on a second level, that should be noted in the property description.

Electronic Entry is absolutely the answer and the best.  Meeting anyone for a key is not convenient.

Clearly defined, safe parking areas are important.  

April3
Level 5
South Lake Tahoe, CA

For the 'I forgot items' I leave a small box, with out a lid underneath the sink with a little bit of everything: suncreen & aloe vera, ibuprofen, razors, feminine products, mini toothpastes, individual toothbrushes and razors, etc. It is accesible but not in plan view, and not always stocked with the exact same items, and it does get used, but very slowly. Guests don't really take advantage, but have commented on how nice it was to have some of these items from time to time!

@Adam-And-Nancy0

I also started out as a guest user before becoming a host and my experience as a guest really helped to shape the kind of host I wanted to be, and what I would/would not provide. As a guest, I usually travel as a couple (with Henry) or with a group (family or friends) and prefer private home listings whereas my own listing is a private room in my home so there are some differences, but especially in terms of amenities, there are certain things I'd really not want to have to lug around when travelling 🙂

Liz288
Level 1
Leicester, United Kingdom

My husband and I just started being a co-hosts . He's been guests in several continents before and all you've said is similar to his complaints on those trips. Thanks for sharing.

Jodi45
Level 1
North Vancouver, Canada

I am in total agreement,   for us we have created an enviroment for the traveler to have an amazing experiance. We supply very detailed driving directions from the air port to our place what to expect (as we have a steep driveway) places to see and eat and where to hike that is close by.  Because of all the attention to detail we have had not one issue with anyone.

We recently booked a place in Paris it had all 5 stars and great reviews,  but I was surprised that we had to pay for our garbage bags, dishwasher soap and shampoo.  (loved the place but was surprised by this as it was one thing we had to add to what we brought with us).  They did  let us know ahead of time though.

Always think about what you would love to have when you are traveling to ease any of the anxiety of going to a new place.

Jodi

Holly43
Level 3
Denver, CO

I leave a whole bunch of stuff under the bathroom sink (with a note welcoming guests to use whatever they want) and it all disappears very slowly. There are tooth brushes, disposable razors, full size shave cream/dry shampoo/various hair products.  My place is mostly rented by young 20 to 40yo couples, and I have not noticed anybody taking advantage of the extra hygene supplies. I don’t have to replace stuff very often at all. People only seem to use it if they need it or forgot their own.

We stock A LOT of items in the condo we list and A LOT of items get stolen ESPECIALLY towels{75 stolen last year} and believe it or not sheet sets.  I am getting tired of supplying SUPERIOR towels and sheets to make our guests feel comfortable to have them stolen.  I can not go back on them to ask for money because then you are calling them a "LIAR" and I feel bad.. We did stock high end pans also but those were being taken also SO NOW we buy from thrift stores.  They are so used to taking stuff from hotels they take our stuff with no conscience.. We had a couple come in for 2 days{that's our minumum} and take 8 rolls of toilet paper and a full pack of bounty paper towels. Shaking my head at those creeps.  Most people are kind and nice then there is the other 25 percent!!

Oh that is very disappointing!