Enforcing house rules

V21
Level 2
New York, United States

Enforcing house rules

Hello all -- I was wondering, apart from smoking, is there a way to enforce house rules on guests? Thanks.

7 Replies 7
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Depending on what you mean by "enforcement" @V21 .  Damage related to breaking rules can be filed with varying degrees of success, but just not respecting your expectations of conduct can only be dealt with via the review system, unless the behavior requires removal.

> ... is there a way to enforce house rules on guests?

Other than cancelling the booking and refunding the unstayed nights, no.

They aren't so much "rules" as "guidelines".

That’s the literal reply from Airbnb in my personal experience as well @AlexandVaughan.

Unless we operate as a commercial host with our own contract (like the hotels/motels and commercial property management companies here and as every other platform suggests to their property owners), you’re really in your own with this, because Airbnb has covered their liability completely in various areas of the terms of service etc, effectively shut down anything that’s not worthy of an insurance claim, unless the guest agrees to make amends.

Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

@Alex-and-Vaughan0 Nailed it. 👍 😎

Andrea-and-Francis0
Level 10
Mississauga, Canada

You can post your house rules in your Airbnb on the wall or in a binder & you can message guests them as a reminder. If they fail to follow them you can message them as a warning or if it's really bad you have the option to evict them.

Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

The previous replies summarize the ongoing debate about this.

There are many threads about this topic if you want to go deeper that would be to your benefit to explore @V21 

What’s worked for me: Preventative strategy and the “personal touch”

1- Setup-  I  carefully evaluated my space, my hosting style, the local offerings.  I set up my space and write (and regularly update) my narrative and house rules carefully and crafted my amenities and decor to attract the kind of guest I want to host.  I clearly state what I offer, my expectations, and I include stated penalties in my house rules, and update as experience and the conversations in this thread  “teach” me.

2- Prebooking screening- I opted out of instant booking and screen each guest in the prebooking messaging conversation. I carefully read any reviews from previous hosts being sensitive to key words that might indicate areas for improvement.  If they aren’t stellar or there are none, I ask the guest tactful and often open ended questions and base my acceptances on the quality and timeliness of replies. I’ve hosted many “newbies” who were great guests and became repeats.

3- During the stay- I establish my presence: I live on site and make it known I will be physically present to welcome them at check in.  I create check in time to mesh with my work schedule.  I’m there when they arrive or within an hour or so after.  
It’s a great time to establish positive repor and get a more tangible feel for the guests privacy preferences and behavior. I greet and address each guest and make eye contact during my “brief orientation.”  I do interim check-ins by messaging unless invited otherwise and I communicate in the morning before checkout.  
This is also the most tactful way to weed out “stowaways”, pets, and establish open communication and boundaries while you ingratiate with your warm and hospitable nature, make sure they know where everything is, how it works, and show them the hard copy house manual in case the app malfunctions (less breakage and unnecessary messages).

4- Do update your homeowners insurance to reflect your rental status and carefully consider your deductible amount.

So far this has worked with 98% success.

Its your home/property and you have the right to welcome who you wish.

Enjoy your hosting!  I’ve met many wonderful people along the way.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@V21 ABB allows 2 methods of "enforcing" house rules on guests

1. Cancelling their stay and giving back their fee

2. Writing a review that tattles to the world on their infractions

*Edited to add: ABB does NOT allow fines for broken rules