First feedback about guest that unsure of

Angeline22
Level 2
Langkawi, MY

First feedback about guest that unsure of

Greetings,

New host and everything has been really smooth.

Have had a guest check-out and leave feedback.

This guest approached us through resolution centre wanting to shorten their  stay and offering cash outside of ABNB as compenstaion. This request was declined as well outside of our Strict booking policy, against ABB rules regarding private transactions, and it is peak season for one of our major demographics.

These guests may have had cause for complaint as the hot water was off for 15 minutes during a gas cylinder changeover. They were kept informed and were happy with resolution. They raised no other issues when asked during their stay. Concerned that this may be used against us.

These guests treated the place differently to other memebers of the community. They made little attempt to return the place to the way they found it.

They self checked out just before midnight as they has an early morning flight (probably the reason for intial request to shorten stay) but they did not inform us.

The feedback would have to be neutral at best and unsure how to proceed. They may have left fair review of the place and ammenities, however their behaviour suggests otherwise.

We would not welcome them back and their other reviews suggest our experience is shared as comments like "nice person".

I would rather not provide feedback, is this even possible when the review will be auto-published 14 days after they leave or feedback?

Looking forward to your responses.

Thanks,

A.

8 Replies 8
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Angeline22

Your overall view is - I wouldn't have them back. Other hosts need to know that, so if you review them make sure you give  a thumbs down so that hosts who are looking for 'guests recommended by other hosts' are not visible to these guests.

Another perspective - just for the sake of argument!

The biggest issue for you seems to be trying to shorten their stay and get a refund. In principle there is nothing wrong with asking a host for this, and perhaps they did not know that they could come to an arrangment on the platform. 

Checking out early morning is not an issue, and I am not sure what you mean by 'place not left as they found it' - unless it is very dirty or trashed then it just sounds like some extra cleaning and tidying. Remember guests come on a scale and overall you have to accept a balance.

So....

If you don't review them their review will be published after 14 days (if they have left one). You will have the opportunity to respond to that review. If it is negative then think carefully about how you reply so that they come off as the bad guys and not you.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Angeline22 If you fail to write a review for these guest, you will not have the opportunity to respond to their review if you feel you need to.

They were out of hot water for 15 minutes? Anyone expecting a refund for 15 minutes of their stay when there wasn't hot water is just a scammer. It can hardly be classified as an inconvenience.

Angeline22
Level 2
Langkawi, MY

Greetings,

Thank you for responses. 

There seems to be conflicting information if we will have a right to reply to their review if we do not leave a review.

I feel the guests may have arrived a bit disgruntled because of declining their request to shorten their stay.

The guest knew that although I speak Mandarin and other dialects, I can not read the written language. After declining request they started written communicating in Chinese.

We have just gone to prepare place for next guests. We knew about the cleanliness and disorder but we had some nice surprises too. They melted a bread bag to the kettle, used knives in frying pan. They were generally heavy handed.

If it was me I would have let the host know about the kettle if I couldn't clean it myself. I would have also let the host know that I was planning to check out late in the evening.

I don't know if I am expecting to much from guests?

I wasn't planning to leave them a review but now I don't know what to do.

Thanks,

Angeline.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Angeline22 I don't think you're expecting too much. These guests appear to have been poor regarding communication, being passive-aggressive in starting to communicate in written Chinese after you declined their request, even though you made it clear that you couldn't read the language, left a mess behind them, weren't careful with things. As you said, you wouldn't have them back, and you saw "Nice people" reviews, which didn't warn you about them, which wasn't helpful to you. So please do review them so other hosts can make an informed decision as to whether to accept their bookings.

BTW, it's best to make an Airbnb as bulletproof as possible. Stainless steel or cast iron cookware, as opposed to cookware that can be damaged by utensils is a better choice for a rental. They won't be the only guests to use sharp utensils in non-stick cookware.

Angeline22
Level 2
Langkawi, MY

Hi Sarah,

The place is as bullet proof as possible. Unfortunately a professional stainless steel frypan was no match for  Victorinox kitchen knives.

😀 Angeline

@Angeline22   Oh dear, they really were rough on things. I always wonder if people like this are just as careless with the things in their own home and just live with a bunch of wrecked stuff all the time.

Angeline22
Level 2
Langkawi, MY

Hi Sarah,

Are you certain that we will not have the right to respond if the guests review automatically publishes after 14 days?

The response above your first response says that we will have a right of reply.

Thanks,

Angeline.

@Angeline22 No, I'm not certain, I've just read other hosts on the forum saying that you don't have the opportunity to respond if you haven't left a review yourself. I'm curious as to why you seem so reticent to write a review for these guests?

BTW, if you are responding to someone in particular on these forums, if you hit the "@" sign, a drop down box will appear with a list of names in it. Then click on the person's name you're responding to, and that way they'll get a notification that they have a response. None of us knew this when we started participating in the forum (it's not mentioned anywhere), so we just pass that info on to others.