Fraud on Airbnb - Account take over by a third party changing payout methods

Springs0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Fraud on Airbnb - Account take over by a third party changing payout methods

Hackers have been hacking into various Airbnb host accounts and added their own payout methods without the host being alerted. Not only is it super scary to know that a third party can just take over a host account and enrich themselves by adding their own account. But it is even worse knowing that the host is not receiving a notification that this change was done. Clearly, some sophisticated hacker is at work here who can block this notification that would alert a host the minute the payout method is changed. Given this situation is taking place with various hosts account and it is not just a one-time occurrence, it is up to Airbnb to secure their systems and repay the hosts that were damaged. It's not OK to leave hosts hanging having lost thousands of dollars that they will never get back. Airbnd needs to step in and pay the hosts the amounts lost and they need to secure their systems. I feel that hosts who were subject to this fraud should combine forces and make Airbnb responsible.

In my case, someone names "Magnus Boisen" added himself to my account and got paid three months of rental income. I had no idea this was happening because I was not notified a change had been made. Then I get a message saying the payout method is not working and I should add a new one. At his point, I go online and see that this Magnus had added his account and apparently the account wasn't working anymore. I called Airbnb and they said, "We don't know how this can happen and will look into it". Clearly, that's not true because many other hosts experienced the same issues. Airbnb's response should be, that they pay me what I have lost and make sure that my account (and others) are secure. Obviously, I changed my password, but that's nothing in the hacker's world. I'd like Airbnb to take responsibility for this and not leave its hosts hanging. If you have the same issue you can email me at my gmail address **. Let's stick our heads together. One host alone can't do much against Airbnb. But if many hosts come together it may be a different story. 

**[E-mail address hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

18 Replies 18

Frustrated superhost here. So much is going wrong with Airbnb... I can’t believe they don’t train their people better to protect and support hosts, without whom they would NiT earn ANY money!  I can be reached at** at the end ( let’s hope they don’t delete my email again ) 

**[E-mail address & phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Glen747 @Springs0 

if you publish your email address here, you show you don't consider security and privacy as primary targets.

If you use those "free" email addresses also for serious business, like your Airbnb account, then it is an invitation for being hacked

Glen747
Level 2
Buena Vista, CO

@David4048still happening in 2022

Melissa1625
Level 2
Tulum, Mexico

Were any of you able to get the FULL banking info, the name of bank, full account number as I too was victim of someone adding a payout method and can not get the full information to at least have a place to start to get to the bottom of this.  Airbnb keeps saying they do not have that information. 

Thank you