Fraudulent Email?

Steve2743
Level 10
Calgary, Canada

Fraudulent Email?

Hi All,

I'm not sure if this is the correct category for this, but...

I just received an email from RandomCharacters@guest.airbnb.com. It's signed by someone with the same first name (no last name signed) as an upcoming guest, and reads:

"Please send me the address 🙂

Thank YOU

Wishing you a Happy Heart and a Peaceful Mind,"

I have not received a message to my Airbnb account. Is this a scam email? Or have they added a way for guests to contact us outside of the Airbnb platform? The email is written in perfect English, unlike most fraudulent emails. 

Steve
15 Replies 15
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Steve2743  If you go to your airbnb message thread with the guest and look at their profile photo, you will see a coded email address below that that airbnb assigns to all users. The guest sees a coded email address for you as well. It is perfectly legitimate for hosts and guests to communicate through these email addresses.

This feature has always been available, you just weren't aware of it.

When a guest email comes to your email inbox, there will be the guests' first name, then in parentheses (Airbnb user) like this :  Steve (Airbnb user). At least that's how it looks in my yahoo mail.

Emailing is actually really useful if you need to attach anything to send to a guest, like a map, as airbnb messaging doesn't support attachments.

Hmmmm, I've gone through her profile, both in the app, and through the website, and don't see any email address. Maybe the feature isn't available in Canada for some reason. But it does make sense. Other online platforms do the same. I've just never been contacted in this way before. I think I'll reply, and ask her to verify her last name, just to be sure. Thanks!

Steve

@Steve2743  It won't appear IN her profile- it appears under her profile picture on your message thread page with her (scroll down there until you see it) and only appears when someone has a confirmed booking with you. 

I see that on the website whether I am in Mexico or Canada. It should be visible to all hosts.

Hey Steve. I would suggest going to the profile of the person that you booked. Once there you will see the option to message or call and use this way to communicate with them. These options would be the safest since you know that this info is verified. On another note it may be best to keep most communication through the Airbnb messaging platform directly because Airbnb can actually see the whole conversation. I just found this out myself. Could be useful if you need proof of anything. 

Hey Steve. I would suggest going to the profile of the person that you booked. Once there you will see the option to message or call and use this way to communicate with them. These options would be the safest since you know that this info is verified. On another note it may be best to keep most communication through the Airbnb messaging platform directly because Airbnb can actually see the whole conversation. I just found this out myself. Could be useful if you need proof of anything. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I would consider it at best spam mail, not because of its English, but because logically it is an incoherent message. 

@Fred13   How is it an incoherent message? The guest asked for the address. They could certainly have done that in a more communicative way, ie. Hi XXX could you please send me your address? Looking forward to meeting you.

But a lot of folks these days don-t seem to be able to communicate in anything but 5 word bursts.

Is this someone that has already booked? It said someone with only the first name, and I suppose the email doesn't match that of a booked guest, otherwise why  even ask the question.

@Fred13  The poster said same first name as upcoming guest.

Well, there are a few Sarahs here (and Freds). I have at least 10 Johns booked now.  I get these all the time, I treat them as spam, till further notice, because my emails from coming guests usually start - Hi Fred. This is John staying Oct X-Y.  If it is important to them or legit they will write back. 

The first name matches, but the last name wasn't given. I've never had access to any guests email addresses in the past, nor reverece an email directly from a guest. Communication has always been through the app, or by telephone, so this threw me for a loop. With all the scams out there trying to get you to reveal private information, I wanted to be on the safe side. 

Steve

@Steve2743  Yes, it's always wise to check things out tobe on the safe side for sure. You don't have access to the guest's actual email address, unless they send it to you- it appears just like in your original post here- first name, a string of numbers, then @guest.airbnb.com

Aye @Steve2743. I just got my Airbnb hacked and 'they' fooled Airbnb into sending my payments to their account, so I am nowadays running a bit on the side of caution. In fact, I am now hard-coded in the Airbnb system and must physically call to change anything to do with payments, that is how tricky (and cunning) e-mail frauds can be.

Steve2743
Level 10
Calgary, Canada

@Sarah977, on a side note, I see you're in Sayulita! Jayne and I were there briefly last year, and were absolutely thrilled with the town! Your place looks beautiful! We would have much rather stayed there, than at the resort! (Group trip, so we didn't have a say in where we stayed). 

Steve