Genuine review

Genuine review

I'd like some feedback from the wider comunity about something, which has just happend to me, but which I believe could or has already happend to other hosts. The topic has really two aspects: 1) A strange, bad review by a guest and 2) how Airbnb reacted when I contacted them about it. At the end I find Airbnb's reaction even more disturbing and I am really considering my options what to do about it. So my first call: ask the community.

The situation as short as possible: I am a host for the last 1 1/2 years in Auckland, New Zealand. I host only in summer as my place is open space, close to the water and really nice with the warm weather - less so in winter. I really go out of my way to make my guests feel comfortable. They have a large sunny bedroom, a garden and deck out to the sea and a bed with a mattress one has difficulties to wake up in. I also provide them with all my knowledge about NZ - if they want it. They get also free stuff, which I don't think every host provides (free beer or wine as welcome drinks, free internet, free international calls, free drive into town etc). And my guest appear to really appreciate it: from 18 guests I had 17 x 5 stars and 1 x 4 stars. 

I had now a request from a father wanting to stay at my place with his 18 - 20 year old daughter (who lives already in Auckland). I advised that I could only offer a queen size bed in a single room and that this was perhaps not really what he was looking for. But no, he booked. Then there was no communication anymore until they arrive one afternoon. They went to town, then stayed one night (first Airbnb experience); in the morning they got my extensive breakfast, then left. I provided the same service, same standard as for my other guests and the house was in the same condition. The only thing, which surprised me was that they spoke constantly Dutch with each other and did not really want to know anything about NZ. I felt more like a waiter at times than a host in my own home. But this happens sometimes I guess.

Then came the two sentence review: The breakfast was excellent. But Gilles joint us too much during our stay. (not verbatum)

?!?!??!? (me)

And then came the marking: 3 for "accuracy", 3 for "cleanliness" and 1 for value! "1" for value?!?!?

I looked at this for two days in unbelief and then contacted (tried to) Airbnb. First their contact webpage did not work (2x), finally I rang. After I explained the situation the answer was "we do not change markings, as they are the guests opinons ..." Ok, I asked to speak to one level up. I did not get the promised call back, but an email arrived one day later saying "Airbnb values the freedom of speech and we do not remove, censor, or edit the rating left by your guest..." Right! (as we say over here)

Ok, here is my stance: I am really in favour of reviews as they can give the host as well as the next guests valuable information.  I also believe that the markings are important to give the guests a good feeling on how things are at this particulat host. I also believe that as a host I will never be able to do everything right for every guest and expect some variations in my rating. Therefore, if they thought that my place was a 3 in accuracy and a 3 in cleanliness, then be it.

What I have difficulties with is an extreme rating, which does not at all reflect reality, be it in the overall rating, be it in respect to what the guest truely received - in case of "value". Especially "value" cannot only be subjective, but has at lest to some extent reflect reality, e.g. compare with the prices for general accomodation in town (my price is the same as the local YHA).  I believed until recently that Airbnb had the same approach. This is why my argument towards Airbnb for requesting a removal of the "1" is, that Airbnb's own rules and regulations state: "Genuine reviews are the cornerstone of our community" . Genuine means for me "true", "honest", "in line with reality".

With my arguments I have provided Airbnb with my other star ratings, my status as a Superhost, the costs and age of the mattress my guests had been sleeping on and the costs of house renting and for hotels and other accomodation in Auckland etc, etc, etc. Nothing! I always get "We value free speech ..." (they never mention the word "genuine" in their emails though). I have now requested that my case be pushed up to an arbitration pannel. I don't hold my breath though.

You probably hear my disappointment in my description. And I am definately considering withdrawing as a host of Airbnb. But I also think that at the end, Airbnb is US, us, the hosts who go out of our way to make our guests feel comfortable, give them more than what they find in hotels or hostels. So why do we first get a title such as "Superhost" if in the next moment we do not get any true recognition and support from Airbnb, but just get such flipping answers when we have a real, genuine concern.

Let me know what you thing, and also what you would be doing in my case.

Thanks. And good on you for all that you provide and give to your guests

Cheers

Gilles

11 Replies 11
David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

I feel your pain but just move on. In reality your guests will see your good reviews and take this review with a grain of salt. I just got scored 3 for arrival when the guest tried to check in 6 hours before check in. In the scheme of things it bruises ego's but little else. Feel proud about your successes. 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Interesting is that the review is not visible on yr listing.

Anyway, Airbnb doesn't play referree to reviews, unless foul language or other extremes.

And from what I've read on hosts' posts, it seems that Airbnb has built quite a track record of evasive (non)reactions  despite all their sounds to the contrary and about core values yaddayadda.

What guests can do in such circumstances (within 48hrs of review posted on listing)  is to leave their own professional sounding response underneath the guest review which (together with your other excellent reviews) will put this last petty one in perspective. Make sure you get it right the first time though, since once posted you can't redact.

After putting heart and soul into hosting it stings to get a critical response, and esp. one that is unfair. But best to just mark it off as one of those people in life who maybe feel shorted out and need to dish it out!

Happy further hosting with guests who appreciate what they're getting!

I have since read the review and your response. Fankly I think you have overeacted and doing so have highlighted the bad review. It best to take a deep breath and move on. I manage OTA's for dozen of resorts and the interaction with guest reviews so I have some knowledge in this area. 

@Andrea9 @Gilles7

But the review is there - by a Dutchman called Frank and with a looong public response from the host.  The review as such is quite positive and future guests would know nothing about the low ratings if the public response had not been there.  

Speaking Dutch is not a crime, and when you have been living abroad for some time, speaking your native language is such a joy and relief - you can finally express yourself properly again.  At a b&b breakfast table abroad I would also speak my native tongue when communicating with my travel partner and only speak English (or French or whatever) when addressing the waiter (host). 

This was probably just a bad match; a very outgoing host and and some guests valuing their privacy and would have preferred to be left more or less alone.  

Some guests are just mean and petty no matter what - I have had low value ratings too and also reviews pointing out what great value it was.  Living in almost luxury cheaper than the hostel - if that is not good value, what is ?

Maxine0
Level 10
Brighton, United Kingdom

Gilles
I'm wondering about the father & 18 ye old daughter & just one bed?
Or did I misunderstand that?

If guests make errors or interpret the listing or info into what suits their vision rather than what it is - who do they blame- yep, the host.

Their comment about the host being around too much & them being first time ABB users - is that no matter what you did nothing could alter their error (probably thought they were getting two rooms / whole house & thats why they gave 1 for value.
It's really unfair on you - but you know it wasn't anything you did wrong - so don't beat yourself up & move on

ABB can't alter star ratings as just as they say, value is a perception- clearly the guest was a muppet and your 5 star reviews reinforce that

Feel proud & look at his review & say bell-end

@Maxine0

These guests have stayed in similar rooms with just one bed in several locations around NZ. 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Oh, this time I saw it, and actually hadn't even noticed the last part since the guest had started his review positive.

True, the long response sounded more like a diatribe and is actually what draws attention to the review!

Better would have been a short reaction something to the sound of it being regretable that 'It is regrettable that my being present bothered you so much in my own home! I could imagine that you might really have been better suited and felt more at ease in a commercial motel or hotel instead of booking a cheaper room in a private home if you prefer anonymity and the absence of a host in the same home space."

Every host will be able to read between the lines of that!

And while I admit that this guest seemed rude, my comment to the foreign language -

If I am with somebody else from one of my own cultures I will also continue talking with them in that language. It is a way of creating privacy in one's conversations. For ex. it always bothers me when waiters or waitresses come and interrupt the conversation for a while, because I often feel uncomfortable continuing to talk when  somebody else's ears are listening in too.

Although as a guest I would always acknowledge/include the host in their language/English or a smile in-between.

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Gilles7,

I agree with what most people have said with your response to this review.  Potential guests will not see what this guest gave you for star ratings and I think the guest gave a fantastic review.  

If I were you, I would contact Airbnb back and ask if they will either delete or modify your response something like, "I am glad that you and your daughter enjoyed the "fantastic breakfast" and I appreciate your feedback".

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Hi all,

I am not sure how this community discussion works as I am doing this the first time. I therefore waited to see first what responses I would get. This message is not directly to one post, but to all who took the time and had the kindness to respond to my question. Thanks’ a lot to all of you. It always helps to get different opinions to question one's own view on things and in this respect your comments and recommendations were really great.

In response to some comments: speaking another language at Airbnb is surely not a crime, just the opposite. It's just more the manner in which it is done - as I see it. The same as some guests treat the host as a waiter and his place as a hotel. In all these ways a guest can isolate itself from the host, the place, the culture and even the country he/she is travelling through. We know them all, the travellers, who collect post cards and suit case stickers (if they were still around) instead of experiencing a country. I am of the opinion that such guests do not travel within the spirit of Airbnb. I personally avoid such guests and if one comes around I will place a comment in this regard.

The most interesting aspect of my experience with the review I started this discussion with is nevertheless not the review itself, or even the marking. But it is the response from Airbnb. And some of you commented on this. From the start I though that I should state my case, that I fully agree that reviews are necessary and that I also understood that there can be varying opinions and that a slip by two points is quite understandable. My argument was that although all this was normal, a marking of "1" if all the other ratings from other guests were "5" would be extremely strange. And if in addition to this factual, objective data could be provided to dispute such a rating, such rating should be regarded as disingenuous and should therefore be removed by Airbnb. Because I am not sure if you ever noted how Airbnb's rules and regulations on reviews and markings begins. "Genuine reviews are the cornerstone of our community". That's what it says. And this is what I based my argument on.

Think about having your house cleaned, sparkling clean as always when you expect a guest and then you see in their review a "1" in cleanliness! What would you do? To say that you would be disappointed would probably be an understatement. Would you contact Airbnb to complain? Are you a superhost and you therefore think that you have the backing of Airbnb and they will trust that what you tell them is the truth? I did exactly this and I thought exactly this. And I think in respect to a "1" in "value" I would even have a stronger case than with a "1" in "cleanliness" as I could prove my case with factual, objective data.

What I got from Airbnb in response has just what one of you mentioned: evasive, what I call "politically correct" answers. Always referring to their rules and regulations, but by no word ever mentioning their mantra "Genuine reviews are the cornerstone of our community".  "Genuine" in the sense of its original meaning of "true", "true to reality". For me this puts a strong disingenuous and also a corporate light on Airbnb. One which I do not like and I am not sure I want to be part of. Am I an idealist? Perhaps. But I think we are all, all us as hosts, idealists in some respect, as I don't think any of us is into it for the money (apart from the Motels of course, which join Airbnb under cover of B&B), but for meeting strangers and giving back what we received in the past.

So why do I write all this? In order to get your feedback of course, but less so on the point of the review itself now, but about Airbnb. How much input and influence should we, as hosts, have on Airbnb? At the end it is us who are Airbnb. Without us they would not exist. With us they make their money. How do you feel listen to? Would it be perhaps worthwhile for example thinking about and suggesting to Airbnb to having the hosts represented within Airbnb?

Have a great day, great guests and only good experiences!

Gilles

My latest email from today is from the person at the top of the "case managers". Same email, or close to. Just with the addition that they now saw the case as being closed and that no further correspondence would be entered into ...

@Gilles7

Once, many, many moons ago and before airbnb I got ratings that did not match the review.  It was a genuine mistake - did you ask your guests before assuming the worst ?

Ellie4
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

I had a similar thing. I'm not as much of a super host as you - I try just to let my guests fit in. This one family sounded as though they'd be great, but they turned out to be really strange. Whilst I was showing them around the house they kept interupting me - asking questions and making demands. They even asked "will you also be staying in the flat whilst we're here?" And then seemed disappointed when I said, yes, this is my home, and it's clearly listed as a shared space. I explained that the heating can switch it's self off sometimes, so to use the fan heater by the bed if they were cold. they interupted me at that point too...

Then the next day they managed to lock themselves in the house, when I'd travelled two hours across London from work. I cancelled my meeting and came straight back in a taxi, and huge personal expense. But they shouted at me over the phone about it.

Then I get an aggressively detailed review - insisting I empty bins, provide soap in the bathroom, and make sure the kitchen is cleaner if it's the only place you are allowed to eat (I live in a studio flat, so I do prefer to keep food in one area.) They also complained that the heating was not on enough!

Well, I did my best. What can you do. I guess I've just learned to be pickier with who I welcome. Which makes me sad. All in all as an ex couch surfer I'm kind of disappointed - I expected people to be much more excited to be sharing my home with me, and to treat it better. But sometimes I feel they expect hotel service.