Guest cancellation, Airbnb taking guest's side

Guest cancellation, Airbnb taking guest's side

Hello,

I have (had) several rooms / apartments on Airbnb and decided to take them all off. One guest did book an studio in Lomé - Togo (West Africa), all is written in the ad, we already had several guests before who expected exactly what is written: independant studio with bedroom, own shower and toilets but if needed kitchen, living room for share in the main house nearby, it's even written on the booking sheet she received: house rules / cat and dog in the property / AND areas for share: kitchen, living room and garden.

She arrived (she is German, she did the booking), was ok but her boyfriend from Togo didn't like it and complained so they left. I called Airbnb to explained, but they decided to follow her and give all the money back. It was a 33 days booking. I was ok to give some money back and more if I could get other bookings, I wrote it.

Anyway, FYI it was 3,67€ per night!!

I have decided to delete all my properties on Airbnb: a studio + 3 bedrooms in Africa and an apartment in the Center of Paris... they prefer guests I guess because they get more fees from them than from hosts.

I will look up for other platforms, more respectfull of hosts.

6 Replies 6
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Carole-and-Kokou0

hmm... according to long term cancellation policy they shouldn't be refunded.

https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#long-term

Yes but they did.....
Diane582
Level 1
Revelstoke, Canada

Hi 

I use VRBO.  They pay you your guest fee as soon as the reservation is taken once you qualify and they have a subscription so if you are operating year round it is a better fee structure than pay per booking.  They also have their short comings.  Tech support is weak.  You need to stay ontop of your listings.  Guests are usually older and more respectful than what I receive through airbnb.  VRBO Homeaway has been around a long time.  They were recently purchased by expedia which hasn't been an improvement of late but time will tell.  Someone should build a platform where hosts can exchange properties in trade.   That might be a nice perk for low seasons. Get us all traveling a bit more. Best of luck. d

Kate549
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

I just had an issue with a guest who made a mess and brought men into the house even though it clearly states on the listing that no visitors are allowed here and she knew it as it was discussed on her arrival when she brought in the whole family here. I wrote a message to her that if she does it again she would have to leave as she is breaking house rules. She started by giving excuses why she brought men inside but than decided to move out and denied  all the facts that are on record on airbnb site. They gave her a full refund charging just for 4 days instead of 28 days despite her being here for 5 days and airbnb rules about refunds, breaking house rules and cancellations by guests.

Ivette1
Level 3
Miami, FL

HI everyone!

I am noticing how airbnb typically sides with the guest. I am experiencing more of the same. I had a guest that booked for 35 days. They arrive and the wife has a chronic bladder issue. which confines her to the house.

Their plan was to rent short term as they either purchase or rent long term. they immediately placed a contract on a home. and began the complaints. 

The guest decided that they needed the cabinet space they we use. Mind you  NO ONE has needed those cabinets in all of the years we have been with Airbnb . We reluctently cleared them out. After you host for years you recognize the guests that are up to no good.

The guest submitted their photos and videos ...all of which airbnb says we cannot not veiw and airbnb says have insured that all photos are accurate. 

The case manager assigned is in a 12 hour time zone difference and writes to me at 4:30 in the morning causing  my ipad and phone to go off waking us up. 

I asked for a state side case manager the same day and was assured the case was being re assigned. 

We are waitng for the new case manager only to find out a week later Tonni is still assigned and has made a decision to refund the guest all without our side of the case. (he did spend 1 phone call advising the guest had complained)

Tonni was advised that they had yet to pay the non refundable pet fee, that we had to call an emergency plumber in because of the guests bladder issues clogged the system.   

Airbnb makes it completely impossible to submit for damages so we stopped trying ..it is a huge waste of time.

And, if a guest complains and pushes the right buttons the hosts have no defense.

Tonni kept the property tied up for a week during the unilateral decision making process so the property could not be rented.

This is not the first Time Airbnb has pulled this . Just as we have learned that Airbnb will not have the guests pay for damages...we know that if a guest complains and knows that right buttons to push we, the hosts, have no chance.  

Oh, yes the other glitch Airbnb experiences...once they have made a decision its final. It can be a bad decision however, because they are so overloaded you have one shot.    

Can I add that the property achieves 5 star reviews.

However, for these guests the home was little more than an accumulation of complaints.

I think its time to review other platforms.

Airbnb recentley had a huge mess on their hands.  A host I know of rented her property and the guest kidnapped a family and held them at the rental. Reminds me, I need to find out how that ended.

Guests are the problem most often. However, Airbnb must have stats saying the most profit comes from the guests....because airbnb has little regard for their hosts.    

Angela2236
Level 2
Pueblo, CO

Yes, it seems Airbnb always sides with the guest - NEVER with the host. 
I was charged $100 because in a strict cancellation policy- I told the guest I would refund if he left a good review. 
I was charged EXTORTION. 
Today some guest who had a bad review from the latest host - threaten me she would slender me in social media if I didn’t to the refund because the neighbor’s house had garbage. 
it wasn’t even a problem about my house. And proving extortion from the guest,  Airbnb still sides with the client and the rule that was applied to me a few months back, it’s not applied to the guest who is an opportunist lying woman who showed up with more people than She had previously disclosed.