Guest is sick

Alex119
Level 2
Athens, Greece

Guest is sick

Hi everyone! 

I am hosting for more 2 years already (private room) and this is first time that I face this problem.  My guest is sick. He said that he got small flue when he just arrived. Therefore, he did not inform me about this in advance. Anyway! 

He is very sick! Fever, cough, snuffle. Today is the first day that I got a little fever also so I got flue also. I do understand that this is not his fault but still. 

When I got cold, I informed my guests in advance and given them an option to cancel the reservation with full refund. Because I do not want, anybody got sick because of me. Here is different situation. Guest is simply does not care. 

What I should do in this situation? I cannot just cancel the reservation and send him away. However, I do believe that it will be better or rent a flat in this scenario. 

What is your opinion about all this? We still have 3 days of reservation to go. 

10 Replies 10
Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Hi @Alex119, we have an expression that became popular in the US a LONG time ago--and I used to hate it:  "**bleep** happens." 

But ultimately, sometimes it really does, and you just deal with it the best way you can. 

'This too, shall pass.'

Best,

Kim

@Alex119, this is a difficult situation for you, since there are shared spaces.

However, I do not believe that being sick is against the rules for guests. There are a number of things that are grounds for cancelling a guests stay, but I don't think having the flu is one of them.

Make sure you wash your hands frequently, and make sure your guest uses the private facilities you provide as much as possible.

Also: as a host, when you are presented with a sick guest, your first instinct is to kick them out into the cold?

Well mashing hands did not help, I am sick already))) my girlfriend is still holding and I hope she will be ok sense she is full time working. Sick days are not paid in Greece, so she just cannot get sick. Yeah I know it crazy) 

I am not willing to kick somebody out of cause and as I said in first post I do realize that this not his fault.  I just was wondering maybe Airbnb could help and find full flat for that kind of situations or something. I understand this is nearly impossible but I had to ask. At least for a future. 

My point is that now I have to get some treatment as well, put to the risk my next guests (thank God, I have any for a next days) sense I am sick now. The worst part is that the guest himself is just do not care. I did not heard any "sorry" from him. You know just a formality and he is one of that people who can teach you how to live properly. He already told me that I should stop doing Airbnb and start mining of BitCoins...

With all this together the money what I will get is just not worth it) 

Any way! I am not trying to kick the person out for being sick or being smarta**. I just wanted to know the opinions of other hosts who might have been in these situations. 

As @Kimberly54 said - "...just deal with it the best way you can."

@Fred13 The point is that he told me that he is sick when I met him. He just mentioned it. Like its nothing. Therefor he was sick for a few days already. Indifference that is what I do not like. 

I want to thank you all guys for support and tips. Appreciate

Ah, he did know before arrival. Got cha now.

@Alex119 I am sorry the guest is being inconsiderate about his illness.

Also, I realize that even though you were *thinking* of moving him somewhere else, you are continuing to host him, so that makes you a good host.

I imagine it must be very frustrating that this guest is putting your health at risk, putting your ability to host at risk, and acts like it is nothing. He should be apologizing a lot, and appreciating that you are continuing to host him. I know I said there are no grounds to evict him, but that does not mean he should take your hospitality for granted.

The guest is not considerate.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Impossible to let you know 'in advance' about something (getting the flu) which he just got upon arrival. He is not a wizard.

As you, everyone perhaps should make the best of it. It is the flu not the 'Black Plague'. 🙂

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Well, my darling daughter regularly comes home for Christmas and often my Christmas present is a cold :P.  My point is that we have listings that are SHARED spaces and we need to anticipate and respond to whatever the sharing is.  I understand you are upset with a guest that came into your space not feeling well, but has that ever happened to you?  Compassion goes a long way.  

Obviously you are a caring host and do not want guests that come after this guest to get sick.   Taking basic cleaning steps for the new guests will touch will remove the issue for the new guests.   However if you are very concerned, you can notify guests and allow them to request relocation.  Some people are more at risk than others.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Unfortunately, people these days seem to go out and about, to school, to work, etc when they are sick, which I think is pretty rude. Back when I was a kid, when people were sick, they stayed home in bed.

That said, I can see where someone who was just starting to feel sick would not want to cancel their holiday, losing $ on their rental, their plane tickets, etc.

After the guest leaves, wipe down all the door knobs and handles, sink and shower faucets, etc, with antibacterial wipes (I do this between guests even when they're not sick).

In the meantime, make a big pot of garlic soup for you, your girlfriend and your guest. Cures almost everything!

Garlic soup? Be darn. Will remember that one @Sarah0.

I really don’t appreciate guests who are sick being in my home, because while you’re on vacation sick you’re filling my home with germs when you leave I have to deal with the repercussions.

Earlier this year I had a guest give me the flu the week before Valentine’s Day, all of my partners and I plans had to be cancelled (dinner reservations that were made weeks in advance and a broadway show) and I spent the day in bed fighting nausea and eating saltine crackers. And I then developed bronchitis after! Costing me a doctors visit on top of missing work. These guests also used every single roll of toilet paper in my apartment over the course of a week, 7 or 8 of those giant mega rolls used on their snotty noses instead of buying tissue at the several pharmacies on the street.

And I now have another guest who is sick, open mouth coughing all over my apartment and again using up all my toilet paper even though a new box of tissues was put in the room before their arrival.

There must be some kind of protection for hosts who share their spaces, maybe Airbnb should help guests find a whole apartment or rent a hotel room where their germs won’t be putting other people in jeopardy. Because someone being sick I’m my apartment puts my job, my personal life, and my future reservations at risk. Not to mention there’s a bloody measles outbreak in my city at the moment.