Guest left due to imaginary "bad smell"

Maggie-and-Mitch0
Level 2
Pittsburgh, PA

Guest left due to imaginary "bad smell"

Hi All,

I had a guest couple nights ago who notified me 40 min after self check-in that they are leaving because of the bad smell in the house. She admitted to being very sensitive to smells though.

Our place is spotless and there is no bad smell. We had ton of guests before and there was no complaints at all. (We have a supervisor status).

I am also very sensitive to smells...so I would noticed if there was something off.

I agreed to a full refund as I am a nice person..lol and also didn't want any bad review from her.

She was satisfied. 

I don't think she wants to leave a review but she will be prompted by BnB to do so and I am pretty sure she might post something like

"We didn't stay in the house because of bad smell, however host was very cooperative and issued a full refund"

She is a newbie (it was her first booking, although she was a member since May 2017??) and most likely when prompted by BnB to do review, she might even think she has too. So even unwillingly she may hurt our business.

And you guys know what review about "bad smell" can do!

Does anyone have any ideas how to handle this? How to prevent guest who didn't even stay from leaving bad review?

By the way I went extra mile with her, I even allowed for late checkout (had to block the next day for that). 

Any tips, comments, shared stories BnB family, will be greatly appreciated.

Maggie 

2 Replies 2
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

"Guest would best be served in a hotel"

This is what your review should say.  She had her one shot at Airbnb, she should not burden anymore hosts.

I hope you learned your lesson about complimentary (or discounted) late checkouts...

Sorry this happened, there are many better guests

Did you at least get the guest to send a cancellation request so that she cancelled and not you?

If the booking was cancelled then no reviews can be left, right?