Guest - showers and unhappy guest

Sarah2055
Level 2
Wellington, New Zealand

Guest - showers and unhappy guest

Hi there!

We have a guest staying at the moment who is having 2 showers a day, about 20-30mins each. We have a hot water tank that can do 50mins - hour a day and now there is no hot water left for anyone else in the house. Yesterday she was talking on the phone with the shower running on full...

I also overheard her saying she found my husband and I 'weird' and the place dirty. We've hosted lots of people and had great reviews! Now I just feel quite awkard...she's booked in for another week. Would people have a chat to her to just say 'Just checking in are you comfortable here and it's fine if you would like to find another place' or just wait it out a week?

This has completely put us off hosting...I have been getting up every morning and wiping down everything and I know I have a clean home. Feel quite confused!

Thanks

Sarah

15 Replies 15
Deborah614
Level 10
Waikanae, New Zealand

@Sarah2055 

There's always one single person who would spoil your entire life if he or she could.   I've made a study of narcissists in past years, and although no-one could assume for sure, this is one of those people who don't think of others' needs, just their own.  

I would stick it out.   Suggesting they find somewhere else might get you a horrible response, if she is a narcissist.     

Suggest just mentioning in passing - by the way, if you find that the shower runs cold it's because the cylinder is only designed to run 5 minute showers for 4 people.      So if you run the shower for more than 20 minutes, then 3 people are going to get cold water.     If she continues having 30 minute showers after that, she is indeed a narcissist, and there's nothing you can do.    But take a cold shower and put it down to the pitfalls of hosting a b&b.

If you really wanted to make a consequence happen for her, turn the temp down on the thermostat so after 15 minutes the water will go cold.    

Yeah I think i'll mentioned the showers, I don't mind but particularly when there is talking on the phone while it's running! I'm just getting up early now to make sure I get a shower 🙂
Sarah2055
Level 2
Wellington, New Zealand

Think i'll leave the other part, and if she's unhappy then she can let us know. Such a shame because it makes it so awkward!!

Daniel1598
Level 10
Fairfax, VA

@Sarah2055 So sorry to hear this! But please hang in there. I've been a member of Airbnb since 2013 and hosting has been one of my great joys over the years. There will certainly be variation between guests. Don't let one inconsiderate individual ruin the whole thing for you. Write them an objective and honest review after the stay, then move forward. In the meantime I would ask her if she is comfortable and if there is any reason to believe that her expectations were not met. Additionally, I think it is perfectly fine to kindly ask her to be conscientious about the hot water due to the limited supply.

All the best,

Daniel

Thanks! I've asked her and she said she only takes 10min showers...i'll just leave it! She said everything is okay that's fine will just wait the week out 🙂

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

Oh @Sarah2055, the old excessive water-use...this has been a big problem for me too. I could hazard a guess as to where your guest is from. I would definitely be having a polite conversation with them explaining your water restrictions and in future, put it everywhere - in your house rules, in your guest manual (if you have one), water-wise stickers in the shower, etc. This is what I have done and it seems to help. I contacted the Water Corp and they sent me a bunch of useful things - stickers, shower timers, etc.

Regarding the cleanliness issue, I have noticed there is a certain type of guest who seems to think that Airbnb is akin to commercial hotels, regardless of the price they are paying. This seems to be increasingly a problem. Again, I have stated on my listing that people need to understand that they are staying in a functioning home and that the fee does not cover the cost of professional cleaning. Regardless of this, I spend hours cleaning my house everyday - now I understand why accommodation is so expensive!

I'd be interested in knowing what reviews your guest has left other hosts - sounds like they may have impossible standards!

Sarah2055
Level 2
Wellington, New Zealand

Yeah my husband and I have had our parents stay for 2 weeks, no problems with hot water now there is none left when we get home! That's a good idea...if we decide to host again haha. I'm dreading our heating and water bill for this week!

Yes, i know what you mean. I'm cleaning every evening after work and mornings so can't really do any more! We are at a cheap price...maybe that's part of the issue!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sarah2055  Wow, she lies, too! (10 minute showers, when you can clearly hear the water running for 20-30 minutes) But I think you did the right thing to mention it- guests don't get to behave in ways which makes life uncomfortable for the other people in the household. And in this case, I don't think you risked anything as far as avoiding a bad review, as you already heard her making negative comments on the phone, so unfortunately, probably nothing you do or don't do will avoid a bad review, she's just one of those. I'd also not stress about running around wiping everything down, it won't make any difference to her- you're already confident that you keep a clean house.

@Sarah2055    Focus on your great reviews, there is always the one guest who just loves to abuse and complain, even if they have to make up a reason to do so.  I know it can be an uncomfortable situation, but not taking it personally goes a long way in alleviating the discomfort - hosting 101 requirements: thick skin.  If you bump into her ask her if she is comfortable and if she needs anything, and mention the water.  If she thinks you overheard her complaints (it's fine if you would like to find another place) she may escalate to thinking as well as being "weird" you are also spying on her:).   Something you may laugh about in the future. I know my negative guest experiences have often become amusing stories after the fact.  btw: I have had a few guests leave the water running while they are doing something else, I always mention water wastage,  it is an expense I do not budget for and it's a terrible waste of resources.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Sarah2055@Ange2 @Sarah977 @Kath9 @Daniel1598 

Welcome aboard to CC @Sarah2055 & Ryan

I had a guest last year who was a challenge in that department and she wrote about the hot water in her review as I had mentioned to her to be mindful of how long she was spending in the shower.

She claimed I only had hot water for 15 minutes so I had to adjust my listing.

Perhaps include something in your Listing, and /or when giving a House tour about water usage

May I suggest @Sarah2055 you reserve your rights to reply to her review after her review of you, if she writes on, meanwhile please ensure you do write a truthful review as it's helpful for future hosts to read.

All the best and don't give up Hosting but ignore pricing suggestions.

Meanwhile scan through CC for helpful titibits, and if you want to read her review on my profile you will have to translate it and it makes absolutely no sense at all - she was a Romance writer and has obviously copied and pasted something she was editing in her review of me as I wouldn't have a clue who the people are she mentions - nor is it relevant to Airbnb!

Sarah2055
Level 2
Wellington, New Zealand

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond and post advice - really appreciate it! Good points about a thick skin and keeping it clear in our online content. We may take a little break after this one and will see after that. Have a lovely weekend everyone! 🙂

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Sarah2055 

Divorce is so hard, especially if you think it's a failing.

Guest is wasting your hot water, guest is dissing you in your own home and you feel you should clean more??? 

Before you get a therapist, please  KICK HER OUT!

"So sorry, this isn't working out. Can you find another place tomorrow? Thanks"

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Sarah2055 After hosting over 130 people in just 20 months, I learned many lessons about hosting and about short term rental guests. One of my greatest lessons I learned has been this: My guest's rights end where mine (or others) begin. Another lesson I've learned: I do not let fears of any kind determine my actions as a homeowner and as a host sharing my home with others - including fear of a retaliatory / 'bad' / unfair guest review.

One of the reason narcissist-types go through life trampling over other people's rights is that most people will not confront them because of the possible 'big' (aggressive / dramatic) reaction they will get as a consequence of pointing out their self-centered behavior(s). It's a pity, really. I have friends who grew up in villages in West Africa. When a villager is out of line and not being considerate of others the entire community will come down on them. And so narcissistic behavior is difficult to get away with there. 

Only you can decide what you are willing to deal with: Being uncomfortable because you didn't say anything, or being uncomfortable because you did (due to a possible 'big' reaction from the guest and/or receiving an unfair review). All I know is that hosting people in the home I live in became much more pleasurable for me when I decided that fear would not ever control my decisions as to what I will put up with from a guest in my own house. Best of luck, and hang in there, most guests are not like this, many are quite wonderful. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Rebecca181   Well said. I've noticed in my life that those narcissist types often shape up and change their behavior, albeit sometimes short-lived, when confronted. They manage to intimidate almost everyone, and never get called on their behavior, they're not used to someone not kowtowing to them and it can be surprising to watch them shaken out of themselves. Rather than getting an aggresive response from them, more often than not I've experienced that they suddenly show respect and completely change their tune, at least for awhile, until they slide back into their usual ways.