Guest spent two out of three nights and had to leave early but it isn't an 'extenuating circumstance

Felicity10
Level 2
Santa Fe, NM

Guest spent two out of three nights and had to leave early but it isn't an 'extenuating circumstance

I have a guest who spent two out of the three nights that she booked. The third night is tonight, Saturday. She let me know yesterday afternoon that she had to leave early. When she told me, I assumed she would just leave and assume the charge of the night that she isn't spending but had reserved. Last night, she sent a request for a change in reservation which would entitle her to a refund for that night. I can decline, but I would have liked to talk to her about it. I feel a little put on the spot. All reviews have been super postitive, what to do? 

20 Replies 20
Karina-Y-Franck0
Level 1
Manosque, France

I have the same problem with a couple that left one day earlier too, and they are asking me to r a refund, I talked to them and told that the must assume the night because I'm losing that night

I think that makes a lot of sense. 

James1
Level 10
SF, CA

I would give her the refund, it's probably not worth the bad review that you will likely get if you decline her refund request. 

You have run into one of the fundamental flaws in airbnb's current review/resolution system. Since the guest completed a portion of their reservation they will get to leave you a review.

Take a deep breath. At least it's just one night. What will you do when a guest has booked 3 weeks and stays three days and wants to cancel and get a refund for all the unused nights? 

In response to James in SF (with me!),

That's an interesting comment.  I found the contrary here:  A guest left a day early and it was deemed "canceled," thereby negating the possibility for a review by her or by me.  In that case, I was pleased since it was during the "high season" and I'd have likely rented the space.  I agree it's not worth the bad review, but if no review is possible, it's a different situation.

It's true. It made me look at the cancellation policy, and it clearly states cancellation PRIOR to check-in. Thus I guess she could use the change in reservation. You're right, it is only one night.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello Felicity

That's rather arrogant of your guest - terms of BnB are quite clear. Personally I wouldnt' accept the change.

I would send her a message and say you appreciate she has  had a last minute change in her arrangements, but unfortunately you can't accept her proposed change as you are unlikely to be able to get another booking this late in the day. If you like offer her a discount for another stay - valid during an off peak period when you are unlikely to be busy.

Hosts shouldn't be held to ransom by guests leaving bad reviews. If she does mention it, then you can explain why you weren't able to accept the change.

Just say that if you can get another booking, then you would be happy to refund.

David

Should have added that she needs to cancel not change the dates.

David

Yes, definitely wish I'd made the distinction between changing reservation and cancelling, though I did say that since it was her circumstance "and that in essence you're cancelling..." I shouldn't have to suffer the financial loss. Oy! Thank you!

Hi Helen,

So I did do exactly that. I said that since it was her circumstance that made her leave early, it didn't seem right that I suffer the financial loss. So I offered to give her a free night if she came back in the future. She still pushed and asked if I'd consider splitting the difference. She left the place very clean, I'm not sure she even used the kitchen... kind of a church-mouse guest. So I decided I would meet her half way, it's less than the cleaning fee. So, we'll see what happens. Thanks so much for your perspective!

Tara37
Level 1
Mountain View, CA

If this happened to me, I would offer to meet guest halfway. Give them 50% back for the night they missed as compromise. No reasonable person would expect you to do anything more than that and it may even assure a good review.

So, that's what I will end up doing. She ended up asking me for that, and since she left it in perfect order, I thought that was the kindest thing to do. Thank you Tara!

Patricia86
Level 4
Chico, CA

Most f our guests are on a trip out of SFO.  Last week, two different guests had flight issues and were unable to use their reservation.  They both asked for a refund.  I have a flexible cancellation,meaning there is almost no chance of finding someone to rent their room.  I can't afford to refund each time someone's flight is delayed, canceled, or missed.  So far, it hasn't affected our bookings. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why don't you change to a strict cancellation policy.