Guests leave no review nor ranking

Laura1455
Level 3
Guadalajara, Mexico

Guests leave no review nor ranking

Hola all, I would like to ask for some tips to encourage guests to leave reviews, I am a new host (3 weeks) and have had some nice reviews though my first couple of guests groups were disappointing.

For first ones, and they knew were the first ones, I left extra supplies of everything, shower towels, food at the kitchen, a welcome basket with some grains bars, bottles of water, cookies, kleenex, a notebook gift, and a bottle of red wine. Additionally I helped them to plan their trip finding info about tours they were interested in, made some calls for reserving for them, I even offered myself to take the lady to the doctor when she found she got sick  on the flight to the town before arriving, gave recommendations on which places to eat for her weak stomach that moment and also found out about football matches they wanted to go to. Also allowed them a very rarly checkin (5 hrs earlier) as they were my first guests

At the minute they entered my place they said it was sooo cute and lovely and really enjoyed the decor, that it had been coziest place they had stayed on uaing Airbnb.

So they left and no review, I told them when leaving if they could leave one for my place and say yes, and did claimd the same the 2 timea I reminded them, one at the 7 days they departed and another one the day before the 14 days limit was taking place, all the timea they said "sure we will be pleased".

Second guests similar story but didnt include the bottl of red wine, worthwhile to say my place is new brand, all amenities are new, and is 4 blocks far from downtown with a very cheap cost that launched it to get more guests at th beginning as there are.other cheaper places atound but without living room, dining room and so bad quality stuff per what you can see at the pics, so I launched my place at th same prucr almost.

I have had more guests but it is very disappointing to go the extra mile and beyond and that folks dont even care about saying "thanks" or posting an small review or ranking.

Does anybody have any suggestion or tip to share ? , in advance, thanks so much !!

36 Replies 36

This may be a regional thing... And honestly I've been guilty of this myself when I'm traveling abroad for an extended trip... I get distracted or my connectivity is limited and I forget by the time I get home.  

But for my space, I have almost 100% review rate... last year I hosted 95 different stays, and had 93 reviews.  I don't know why my guests are more prone to review than others, maybe because MOST of mine are relatively local to me, just enjoying a weekend away and so their mobiles work and they are home again in a short time, when the reminder to review comes in and it it easy for them as they are already back to their normal lives which includes online engagements?  (holy run on sentence, Batman... but I'm not fixing it!)

@WillowI Hi Willow,

You might be quite interesting person! I looked for Coupeville - wonderful place, a bit cold, but never too cold. I did not look for your place, just read several AirBnB rental descriptions and what is written in Internet about your little town.

As for the pan - it is a french one - the most expensive enamelled cast iron - Le Creuset. Look for them and their prices! My guests spoiled 3 of my cheap pans - I had the 2 Creusets and 5 cheap pans at the beginning. The two left are without handles - so the cheap things are often more expensiveq esp in the kitchen.

I admired your little town! As for our capital - Sofia - oh, I really do not know what price to ask, the city is as bombarded, as though after a war, it changed dramatically the last 20 years, it was much more as your town -  green, splendid, awsome views, little cars, old historical preserved buildings. Now there are cars and cars - 2 milion people and 3 milion cars which are destroying the streets, pavements and pedestrian areas. Old buildings are demolished because avid builders want to build high buildings and selling cheap property as though they are tomatoes. Thanks to allow me to know YOU and your lovely place!   

@Lilly28 - it hurts my soul to hear of old cities being destroyed in the rush to modernize.  I bought my house specifically because it is old, in an old town.  We (collective all human, we) will lose so much if we don't preserve parts of our past.  

Your flat is absolutely charming!  Is the sofa in the first photo, one of your creations?  If so, please make me one!  It is adorable!  I think a trip to Bulgaria is on my list of places to visit.  So many places, so little time!  And the flights from the west coast of the US are brutal. 

As for the pan - I LOVE Le Crueset... but only have one pan because of the cost!  But I absolutely agree with you about quality being cheaper in the long run when it comes to kitchen items.  I'm still not sure I would share it with my guests though!  Maybe I'm just selfish that way.  Not to worry at the moment because I don't allow kitchen priviledges as I only host rooms, not an entire flat.  

@WillowI Hi Willow,

it hurts my soul to hear of old cities being destroyed in the rush to modernize. - so do I, it hurts me and Willow, I thought about yours and Cor advices, I agree with their reason as things are in AirBnB now.

On the other hand - where is the human dignity? Should we allow to be slapped in the face by any happy-go-lucky because of some pennies recieved? I hope you read what I proposed to Cor - and asked for his opinion - for guests and hosts not leaving reviews. But I think that something might be invented for such disgraceful guests as well. What is your opinin on that matter? 

I do the whole house for up to 12 people. My kitchen is atocked with red Le Crueset, All-Clad and KitchenAid products and there are plenty of them. Quality holds up better in the long run I believe also.

Cheryl246
Level 3
Oxford, United Kingdom

"Super Guest" Status would sort things out!!

@Cor3

My guests have left one of my best reviews, and so did I.

But I would like to tell you THANKS Cor, for giving me your hand as a friend!

I had protectors on all my 4 beds, but not waterproof, now I am scrolling the shops to find what you advised me to put on the beds. Thanks for  your help!