Guests showed up for wrong dates and want a full refund

Jared2
Level 2
Morgantown, WV

Guests showed up for wrong dates and want a full refund

Last night I was fast asleep around 2:00AM when I hear knocks on my door. I ignore it at first because I live in an apartment building where people mistakenly knock on the wrong doors. A couple minutes later I hear the knock again and my doorbell goes off. I jump out of bed, look through the peep-hole and see no one. I glanced down at my phone only to see I have 3 missed calls in the past 5 minutes. I recognize the number as a guest I am expecting next weekend. I give them a call to see what's going on and they insist they are staying this weekend and cannot find the key. I quickly pull up the airbnb website and see that they have traveled through the night only to have booked the incorrect dates. I directed them to a hotel up the street that has pretty reasonable rates and all way well.

I do have a strict cancellation policy but this morning when I received the cancellation request I recieved a request from the resolutions center for a full refund. I understand that this mistake was human error on their part but on the other hand, I rely on the revenue from my listing to help me get through college. I am thinking about letting the guests know that I am willing to refund the full amount of their stay IF I am able to rent out next weekend. If I am unable to rent it out, then I will be unable to refund their money.

I am just wondering if that sounds like a fair approach to this situation. Please leave your comments and suggestions below!

2 Replies 2
Hubert0
Level 3
Bellevue, WA

I think that's fair. It's always a tricky situation to handle. Make sure you communicate this clearly in the message thread or the resolution center so that Airbnb customer representative could see what's going on.

Simon36
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

If they booked quite a while ago meaning the room has been taken offline for quite a while then sure that's reasonable. It's a good compromise.