Guests smoked inside my room but my house rule says the room is strictly non-smoking

Lena9
Level 2
Singapore

Guests smoked inside my room but my house rule says the room is strictly non-smoking

My previous guests smoked inside my non-smoking apartment and left me a really mess room. trash was eveywhere.

After they checked out, I found there were a lot of cigarette ends inside toliet bowl. My apartment is strictly Non-smoking. Everything is written clearly inside house rules. It is strictly non-smoking inside room or inside building. Guests can smoke on the balacony only if they bring their own ash trash and clean it after used.

However, I saw 6 cigarette ends inside tolilet bowl. (I took a photo of it. )

Obviously they broke the house rule.

Besides the mess room, guests left my chair cushion a large dirty mark. The dirty mark cannot be cleaned nice. I have to buy a new one. The chair cushion is not normal cushion, it is a traditional Japanese chair cushion, without cushion, the chair cannot be used. 

In this case, can I request to get extra payment from the guest?

If yes, how much shall I requst as they broke the house rule of non-smoking?

If no, what should I do to prevent same thing happens again?

It is my first time encounter this kind of problem, especially the smoking problem.

I'm really looking forward to solutions.

Thank you!

6 Replies 6
Paul226
Level 2
Luxembourg

Same thing happened to me. I will not charge them for smoking (breaking house rule) unless there is a damage to the house caused by it, or if a smell of cigarettes remains in the place.

Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

@Lena9 Definitely put in a claim for the chair cushion - I think you have 48 hours to do it after the guest has checked out. Don't worry if you don't have the receipt for the replacement yet, just be sure to file the claim before the deadline, then add the receipt later. For the smoking, you could ask the guests to pay an additional cleaning fee and see what they say.

Also, be sure to mention the house rule violation in the review you leave for these guests - please warn other hosts that these guests do not follow rules.

Dear Keren & Brain,

Thank you for the suggestion.

As the guest threw the cigarette ends into the toliet bowl, I need to pay extra for clean the toliet bowl in case of block up.

I'm thinking of requesting this fee from the guests.

However, I have two concern here.

Firstly, from my understanding, I can only get extra payment if guests also agree to pay. 

I have sent a messgae to the guest, wanted to discuss with them regarding this issue. But I got no reply yet. What happens if I get no reply within 48 hours? Does that mean I will not be able to claim anymore?

Secondly, The guests have left me a review. As I know, the review can still be modified. What happens if guests change it to a bad renview on purpose?

I'm looking forward to your reply.

Thank you very much!

It's true you need to approach the guest first using Air BNB messaging, and they may refuse to pay - but go to the Resolution Center right now and start a claim there as well, stating exactly what you did to the guest in the message. If the guest doesn't respond or refuses to pay, you can involve Air BNB (there will be a button to push to "involve Air BNB") and Air BNB may decide in your favour, using money form the damage deposit, assuming you require a damage deposit. I've found Air BNB to be very fair with their Resolution settlements. 

If the guest changes his review to be negative, you can answer with a rebuttal, stating everything they did that violated your rules.

Dear Karen & Brian,

Thank you so much for the reply.

It helps a lot. I will do that!