Guests that misrepresent their reasons for their stay

Sari12
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

Guests that misrepresent their reasons for their stay

We are superhosts that have a small detached cottage (about 120 sq ft) that is perfect for 1 person, but we allow couples too. We have a guest presently that booked as a couple, indictated that they are from the area and are here to visit friends. They checked in more than a day ago and have not left the cottage or the property. We've had this happen a couple of times and found after the guests departed that the cottage is left messy, smelly and generally seems to have been used as a "love shack". We realize that it's difficult to mandate something like - guests should not expect to stay in the dwelling for days on end etc, but any suggestions on how to discourage this type of guest?

7 Replies 7
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Sari12 I personally do not agree that this type of guest should be discouraged. Next you will want to discourage someone who eats certain types of food (that may smell) or loud talkers or loud walkers or whatever. This is hospitality business. We clean up and move on to next guest. (For this type of circumstance- of course there are seriously problematic guests out there). However I have seen multiple threads about this type of an issue so perhaps you can search the board. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

>>guests should not expect to stay in the dwelling for days on end<<

At which point most folk will press 'next'.

Being one of those people who like to decide when I go out, it wouldn't suit me.

The 1950s-style B&B (a part of which was staying out all day) has long gone...for a reason.  

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Sari12 Technically they are friends and are visiting one another...

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

To be fair, @Sari12 - your gorgeous little cottage does have "love-shack" stamped all over it (In a good way!) Looks like the perfect romantic getway pad. Not sure why you'd want to discourage that at all. Loved-up couples (young or old!) generally make for happy, easy guests. 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Sari12 

You already have optimized your listing to discourage this behavior.

You charge a $20/guest/day charge and you have a 3 day minimum. Even though you may not like love shack behavior, at least you are well rewarded for such activities. 

Is it possible for you to embrace your special niche? 

I love California. But in my mind there are 2 Californias. One California is highly energetic. Go to the City, spend a lot of money, see a lot of people, do a million things. Exhausting and expensive. The "other California" is like beautiful, suburban LaFayette. A wonderful setting to be lazy and enjoy the wonderful weather. 

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

I would mention in your listing that all guests must leave the cottage for at least X number of hours per day and not expect to just shack up and make stinky, smelly love inside the cottage the entire time they are there. 

I'm sure that will help keep this type of guests (and probably all others too) from booking. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sari12  Why do you care whether guests go out or not? They're on holiday-some people use a holiday to sightsee and be out and about all day, some just need a peaceful break. It would seem a compliment to the comfort of one's listing that guests are happy to just hang out there all day.

I had a young couple stay who hadn't seen each other in 6 months, he'd been out of the country working. They never emerged from their room until noon or later each day, looking happy and content and were quiet about whatever they were doing in there. I thought is was quite sweet how much they were enjoying each other's company. Her review- "I spent the best week of my life here."

Leaving the place a mess, and misrepresenting intentions are different issues and can be addressed in the reviews.