Have to give reason for declining guest?

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Have to give reason for declining guest?

I've never actually declined a guest before, but if I ever have to I was wondering what to expect. Does Airbnb have you fill out a box explaining why or have you post a little message for the requesting guest explaining why?

4 Replies 4
Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I declined two requests back in the day. This was after a lengthy chat with CS who assured me that I would be no penalties. There were a series of check boxes and a place for notes but I can not remember if it was before or after the decline option and I'm not sure what's in place now. 

Despite CS assurance my acceptance rate went down to 87% and I was informed I needed to "work" on it until it returned to the 88% level. Now I've read that metric doesn't count to your superhost status but still having to "work" on something that shouldn't be an issue is irksome.

If I feel I have to decline again I'm thinking about doing a live stream so if people want to check it out they can. We can have a discussion about it.

I actually used the adblock extension to hide the html classes that displayed the acceptance rate and my need to work on it. Little OCD perhaps but it worked. 

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Pete69, wow, you've never had to decline a guest? You mean you've never had anyone ask if they can bring kids/dogs/extra people, asked for a massive discount, asked to book dates that arent available? Lucky you! Anyway, yes, there is a tick box where you have to state why you are declining and are prompted to send a message to guests explaining why you are declining them. Although, these days, I ask people to withdraw their request otherwise I will accept in the grounds that they are paying the full price and not bringing their kids/dogs/extra people 🙂

Yes I've had those but after messaging them I've waited for them to actually cancel the reservation request. Or maybe these were just inquiries. I can't remember.