Heating

Jennifer1529
Level 1
Frankfurt, Germany

Heating

Hi all, i recently got some guests staying in my apartment. They heated the apartment day and night at maximum temperature they could get with windows opened. When leaving the aapartment they kept the windows open and heating running at maximum while outdoor temperature –5 ºC. My flowers and  plants were dried to death. I am really frustrated. What should I do to get help? Any advice?

Many thanks.

BR,

Jennifer 

10 Replies 10
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Jennifer1529,

Such things can happen, if you do not take (technical) precautions to prevent guests using facilities in an unlimited or extreme way. So you have to keep an eye on it, instruct people and if possible limit things  (depending on your heating system) by technical features against excessive use.

Best regards,

Emiel

Thank you Emiel, 

thank you for your advise. In fact I talked to them several times but unfortunately with no results. We have central heating and I am not sure where I can put some measures to limit the abnormal use. I will investigate that. Many thank. 

BR,

Jennifer

Diane-Lucy0
Level 2
Great Ayton, United Kingdom

Hi Emiel can you explain what technical precautions i can use  to prevent guests from using heating facilities in an extreme way, Thanks 

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Jennifer1529: We have a wi-fi enabled thermostat that we can check and modfiy the temperature if its set too high or too low. It was not unusual for people to go to the beach in the summer and leave the AC running at 65° all day long.

Thank you Barry and Lera,

I will investigate the technical possibilities. Many thanks.

BR,

Jennifer

Mika8
Level 10
Zürich, Switzerland

@Jennifer1529 .. really?  your flowers are your problem? Not the reckless behavior towards our planet? If so, then you are as ignorant as your guests.

Im having the same problem now . They said they were cold so I raised the heat to 76 it is also program to stay on all day and night . Its a young man with his mom and sister they stay in the guest house all day watching TV while he's at work .  So The other day I seen window open and now tonight they blew circuit breaker cause they  had a space heater on and I have electric baseboard heat . So I go over there cause they blew the breaker and The sister is wearing a t shirt when it's below freezing out and complaining it's cold in there when the thermostat says its 77 . I also gave them three more blankets the 2nd day they were here cause they said it was cold  and that's  when I raised heat from 74-76 . If your cold put a sweatshirt on or a sweater .   I don't know what else to do .  Need some good advice please. 

Why don't you get a thermostat that you can program and lock . 

Francesca-and-Dave0
Level 10
Vermont, United States

C5AF94EA-9CB3-47E9-8188-7F02F5DFA239.jpeg

To avoid this problem and try to maintain some environmental responsibility while making our guests comfortable, we pre-set and LOCK our wi-if controlled thermostat for the whole house furnace to a maximum high of 70 degrees and a minimum low of 45 degrees (to keep our pipes from freezing). We also provide an electric oil filled radiator — a very effective, efficient and safe heater — in each bedroom and in the living room so guests can have additional, safe and energy efficient heating if they need it. The oil filled radiators will not overheat or cause a fire hazard, but they do add a nice warm, consistent and  gentle heat that you can “cozy up to” and our guests seem to like them.

We keep one in the back of the closet in each room and guests can easily roll them out and plug them in if they need extra heat.

Dorothy128
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

I installed a WIFI controlled heating system and it's been wonderful. It's a well worth investment. I set a rule, in my house listing, requesting guests to adhere to 21°C max in the spring and summer months, to respect the environment and my heating bill. I have caught 3 sets of guests out already. Sent them a message and they usually respond pretty well. The issue that I am left with is the time spent watching for heating alerts and following up on them. Certainly a lot cheaper than paying a hefty hearing bill.