Hidden guests pictures - photos voyageurs supprimées

J--Daniel0
Level 3
Geneva, Switzerland

Hidden guests pictures - photos voyageurs supprimées

Hello to all,

I absolutely disagree with the fact that now Airbnb hydes the pictures of the guests.

I deactivated all my adds right now, and there are a lot of reasons to do so.

I am really desapointed, even sad. But I won't continue with this condition and wanted to say it, thanks.

Bye and regards to all.

Jean-Daniel

45 Replies 45

exactly! at least with a hotel they have to be verified and there id is copied and a hard deposit is placed on a physical card. us lowly hosts dont have that luxury. Airbnb needs to get it together. 

J--Daniel0
Level 3
Geneva, Switzerland

Hey guys, thanks for answering. In my case, 4 years. And of the 3 hosts I know (including me), 2 have stopped it immediately, 1 is just thinking it. I wonder if Airbnb will be able to continue... :S but anyway, this is their choice.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@J--Daniel0 There will be plenty of other hosts who are not overly hung up about whether photos are visible or not.

Incidently, your photo is so small, it illustrates nothing more than you are a white man. Would you be satisfied in seeing such a poorly-detailed picture of a guest?  

J--Daniel0
Level 3
Geneva, Switzerland

They do what they want, they might also face problems which I never had after more than 800 travellers (only on Airbnb, but more on several other sites). My flats are fix, my picture show something (being man or women is 50% of "yes or no" in my case of an open-space), and I have 300 reviews. While the visitor has his picture hidden, maybe not a single review, and can come and fly ? Lol...better for me running away of this.

Fiona252
Level 2
Canterbury, United Kingdom

I cannot understand why not only have Airbnb stopped showing the host the guest profile photo, but also, why is it that people can put on their profile picture one that is not of them.  This is fraud on identification.  I'm sure if a host put a picture of a cat on their profile, they wouldn't get much business.  I find it very uneasy I cannot see who is going to be staying at my home.  The more people that reply the best chance we have of the rules being obeyed or is it because its all computer generated?

Kris76
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Hi Fiona, I feel the same - it’s very disconcerting letting people into your home when you don’t know what they look like. I use an app called Guest** to improve security as I make my guests use this app (and upload a picture onto it) before I give out check in instructions...seems to work!

**[Advertisement removed in line with - Community Center Guideline]

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Hi @Kris76, in almost every post of yours I see this  mention of the app. Is this something you are marketing for yourself or someone else?

Charlene58
Level 2
Irving, TX

I definitely want/need to see a picture of the guest before they arrive.  I do not open my door to strangers. It also allows me to quickly pick out which guest booked the stay. 

A picture doesn't make them any less of a stranger before they arrive.

There are over 2 million homes on AIRBNB - and so 1 less will hardly be felt. Sorry man. Also many many homes use “instant booking”, and leave guest screening to AIRBNB. those hosts don’t bother with pictures to begin with........ Wish there were other GOOD platforms out there to jump ship to, but they all have their serious challenges. Try to be smart about it, other posts already suggested ways to bypass this “no photo”. I know that we did. If you are not computer savvy, and cannot figure it out for yourself - send me a quuck note. All de best

Lol, I don't think it will be 1... I suppose 25% of the people will leave. Concerning the ones I know and me, 2 on 3 have suspended there account, and the last one is now thinking we were right to do so, and did not accept any new request so far.

I also disagree with this function on Airbnb to hide guests photos before accepting them!!! I wrote a letter to the Airbnb staff to demand to make this feature unavailable. 
If they fight against discrimination, they discriminate hosts in such way!! As a host I accept totally unknown people to my apartment, and I have the right TO SEE who wants to come to my place. If a guest see my photo, then I have right to see their photo before accepting. Otherwise Airbnb doesn't leave me choice! Airbnb oblige me to accept people blindly! My apartment is not a hotel, it's my private place, so I have right to choose. I don't care about color of the skin or religious views, etc, but I don't want to accept dangerous people to my apartment. I have the right to see photos of guests before accepting them.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Irina252 - what might 'dangerous people' look like? 

have you ever seen the photos of dangerous and strange people? 🙂 if yes, you wouldn't ask me this question 🙂 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @J--Daniel0@Irina252@Gordon0@Sandra126@Kris76@Oad0@Charlene58@Fiona252@Zacharias0@Thomas-and-Damian0@J-Renato0@Karen1483@Emiel1@Ralph102,

Thank you for comments here and sharing your thought on the recent update. 

I've picked up on a couple of points mentioned here and I wanted to provide more clarity:

1. Hosts can, in fact, request to see a photo of their guests before they arrive, as soon as the booking is confirmed. Here’s information on how to do that.

2. And if the photo isn't real (e.g. if it’s a picture of a rose or a clown), you have the option to cancel without penalty by calling Airbnb’s Community Support. (We’d also recommend messaging the guest directly before cancelling.)

Also, if you're an Instant Book host you can require your guests to complete Airbnb’s verified ID process. (Many guests have completed verified ID already.)

I know this doesn't address all of the topics in this thread, but I wanted to be sure  you know these options are available and hopefully this is helpful to you. 

I also want you to know that the Airbnb team are continuing to look into this further and are looking very closely into the feedback shared by the community here. We'll be sure to keep you updated on this topic.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.