Host Guarantee

Answered!
Kristin1107
Level 2
Rapid City, SD

Host Guarantee

Has anyone else had a terrible experience, and had AIRBNB refuse to rectify the situation? 

In my many years as a superhost, I have never filed a damage claim.  But in this case, the damage is around $1400 and AIRBNB is just refusing to cover damages, even though evidence of damage along with receipts has been provided.

VERY unhappy superhost here.

1 Best Answer
Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Kristin1107 @Susan1188 @Lorna170 @Pat271

I'm not sure if You have ever fully read the terms of the host guarantee. One of the stipulations is:

• VI. Airbnb provides Hosts with the Airbnb Host Guarantee benefits described herein solely for the purpose of promoting use of the Airbnb Platform by building customer loyalty and strengthening customer confidence as to use of the Airbnb Platform.

Do You understand the term „solely“? The purpose of the host guarantee is not to pay for damages, the sole and only purpose is to „strenghten customer confidence as to use the Airbnb Platform“. The customers are we, the hosts.

Every time we get a booking request we should feel confident to accept it. That's all the host guarantee is for.

View Best Answer in original post

51 Replies 51
Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Jeff1906 

Everything you mentioned is true. But it's not much different on any other platform. Some have absolutely zero host support. 

But Airbnb has one big advantage; it produces bookings. Lots of them. The others can't really compete.

As a result, some hosts have become entirely dependent on Airbnb. And that's rather risky, because Airbnb often behaves like a schizophrenic nanny, erratically causing hosts grief in the interest of "helping".  

And yes, guests will almost always win in any dispute arbitrated by Airbnb. It's how they maintain their booking kingdom. It's just the nature of the beast. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jeff1906  "It's making me question being here. Why do you all stay?" 

Because I have never had the type of guests who cause damages, make up lies to scam refunds, etc. In other words, a security deposit or the host guarantee aren't necessary for me.

But my listing is a private room in  my home. Which is really what Airbnb was set up for- onsite host listings. Where guests can't get away with throwing parties, sneaking in extra guests or pets, etc. 

It's hosts with entire home, off-site host listings who generally have all these issues with lack of Airbnb support.

Totally agree with you, as we provide our entire house with self checking to the guest all these damages incurred.  Airbnb should understand the problem better.

Chrishantha0
Level 2
Parramatta, Australia

Dear Hosts,  I am based in Sydney. Due to COVID19 at times our bookings get cancelled.  On top of that, if there are any damages, as usual, guests are not paying  from their security deposit and also Host Guarantee programme does not honour their agreement.

When we make a claim now it goes to a back office and if we want to review their decision also goes to the same place. Earlier it was routing to different territories or clusters to get a second opinion. 

Could we inform the Airbnb Head Office or the Management to look at this issue with the Host Guarantee programme?  If it's the case does anyone knows how to escalate this matter...?  Thanks. Chris

@Chrishantha0 

You really need to handle this yourself. 

The "host guarantee" is riddled with vague fine print, and even by Airbnb's own definition, is neither an insurance nor any "guarantee" of anything. Most claims are turned down and that's the final word. "Escalation", if even permitted, just starts you back at square one, and the outsourced representatives handling the case will only find the easiest, least expensive path, which generally means declining and closing the case. It's their job to do so. 

There is no "security deposit" imposed by Airbnb. It's just a (misleading) term they use to define the purpose of a claim ("if it is security deposit related... "). But there is no security deposit. Period. 

Unless of course, you impose your own, which you most certainly should do, if the guest is a high risk (group of young people, or you feel uneasy about the guest in general, after having pointed dialogue). 

Airbnb support is often obtuse and generally unfamiliar with actual policy, and is free to interpret it in any way they wish. Using Airbnb support, particularly for claims against guests is risky, and can actually end up penalising >you< for bad guest behaviour. 

So, do what you have to do. But avoid relying on Airbnb for anything but bookings. They're pretty good at that, even if many aren't exactly ideal guests.

Scare away the ones that you feel uncomfortable with before they book (or impose a hefty deposit on them), and take excellent care of those that are a great fit for your offering. 

So is it worth it to be part of this partnership..?

@Chrishantha0 

If by "partnership", you're referring to Airbnb specifically, then yes, it is worth it. If you set your expectations appropriately. 

Airbnb, like any other online booking platform, first and foremost, generates bookings (it's their most basic function). Actually, Airbnb is the world's largest, and has huge market reach. Even its closest competitor, VRBO doesn't generate anywhere near the volume that Airbnb does. 

And in terms of support, none of them are any better, although I think it can be argued that others like VRBO tend to make fewer mistakes in their support processes. But then there's others like booking.com, who are 100% instant book, and you as a host are obliged to accept any booking from anyone, without recourse. 

So, yes, if you don't like it, you can suffer more or less the same elsewhere, but with fewer bookings. And rest assured, Airbnb knows this very well. 

So, you have to take control of who's booking you place(s) and never expect Airbnb to help. It's all on you. 

The upside is that the volume of bookings on Airbnb is usually so high, that you can afford to scare away inquiring high risk guests, because it's a good bet there's another one right behind them that want those dates. Better to scare them off by asking pointed questions and security deposit demands, than suffer your place getting trashed, for which you have little recourse, if any. 

For guests that are an ideal fit for your property, and highly respectable (e.g., good profile, all good reviews from hosts), always treat them very well, and it will ultimately come back to you very positively. 

Just be aware that it's all on you. And only you. Airbnb or not. And you'll figure out how to make it work for you.