Host With A Pool? This Is What You Must Do

Kanokkan0
Level 4
Bangkok, Thailand

Host With A Pool? This Is What You Must Do

Make sure in your listing description you show your pool with under different conditions: rain, snow, sun, morning, afternoon, night, with uw lights, without uw lights. Show every single angle. Describe with words that color tone of the pool might change under different conditions and describe how the pool might change color during cleaning and maintenaince. Be ready to change the water in the pool if the guest is not satisfied, AIRBNB might require you to do so, regardless of whether it works or not (every pool owner knows it doesn't).

If you don't you may risk cancelation from your customer with full refund granted. It happened to me.

10 Replies 10
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Kanokkan0 I’m sorry this has happened to you. Can you be more specific as to the guests specific complaint?

Our guests are just so happy with the pool, like you, due to the heat. We have photographed our pool by day only. The images are quite specific we work hard upon it and there should be no issue with the photographic images not being a  true descriptor.

Our pool is salt chlorinated, with solar and electric filter pumps to utilise. We also live on site and maintain the pool to a high standard, so other then for aesthetics, I be,wives the day images are enough. I would have more concern of a guest pushing for a refund for other things, before our pool. Naturally if you are heavil6 affected by the monsoon, this could affect  the chemical balance of your pool.

thanks

Cathie

Kanokkan0
Level 4
Bangkok, Thailand

Our pool is fresh water. We litterally were informed by customer service that the guest would get a full refund because the color did not look exactly the same as on the pictures in the listing as based on one image from the guest, which was caused by slight decoloration due to pool treatment as per the guest's own request. They even admitted it was clear earlier in the day but requested we clean it again and add more chemicals.

Kanokkan0
Level 4
Bangkok, Thailand

We were informed about the decision and were not allowed to have any input. Nor to remedy the situation, although it was just a question of a little time. Just let guest check out and give them refund for 3 nights out of 4.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kanokkan0

Kanokkan, unfortunately this is what happens and there is no way to fully protect yourself!

I had a guest who said they were disappointed the listing description was not accurate!

I said to them...."Oh in what way was it not accurate?"

She said..."The bed did not look like the one shown in the photographs"!!

It is the same bed, same 800 thread count sheets....same electric blanket....same electric motors to raise the head or for massage function! I didn't wheel in a bed out of a torture chamber just for this guest!!

It had a different doona cover to the one shown in the photos!

I said...."Really....I have six different doona covers, they are all equally as good as each other and it is my belief that guests like to experience something just a bit different from every other guest....am I wrong by doing that"?

She just looked a bit embarrassed and said, no, it was just different from what they were expecting!

Kanokkan, not all turkeys live in the 'chook shed'....There are a fair few roaming the streets and it to be hoped that we don't come across one too often!

Let it go and in your review response make mention that 'sometimes a well presented and maintained swimming pool is not enough to satisfy a guest'! 

I am sure every other host on the planet will know what you mean.....and give her a 2 star...for being a turkey!!

Cheers......Rob

Kanokkan0
Level 4
Bangkok, Thailand

Still lost about 1000 USD 😞

Kanokkan0
Level 4
Bangkok, Thailand

What infuriates me is the nonchalant attitude of the AIRBNB case managers. I always thought they would work with both parties to find a solution and not just unilaterally decide with one and have a decision ready by the time they contact you. I am *bleep*

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kanokkan0

I long ago gave up trying to work out the rights or wrongs of the way CS managers handle disputes.

I don't consider the system is fair when on one hand the company says...."we've got you covered" and as soon as you put it to the test you find out they haven't!

I don't think that's fair but, I do not have the capacity to change the way the company operates, and if I am going to continue using them I must do it to my advantage!

Almost all companies indulge in a bit of 'journalisitic licence' when it comes to advertising themselves, and having spent a lifetime in business I have learned that it is I who controls what goes on in my life.

The net result of this Kanokkan, you have lost $1,000. You can take it further and request a supervisor take control of this case of yours but, your chance of getting a decision reversal is slim to negligable.

Other users come here and shout...'what is wrong with you, stand up for your rights' ....really, what will my voice achieve....zilch.....zippo.....'Goose Egg' as Judge Judy would say!

Raise your listing amount by $5 per guest night. This amount will have no effect on your reservations....it is not as though you are only charging $35 per night for a 5 bedroom villa, you have the 'wiggle room' there, and when a guest takes off with the keys, breaks a vase, blocks the toilet.....or duds you with a reservation you will have covered yourself without having to go through the agony and torture of trying to get some compensation from the resolution centre.

I know you are annoyed Kanokkan, and have every right to be, but I am like you, I am a host and no different to you! I get my fair share of issues that cost me one way or another but I don't get pissed off, I don't start screaming for retribution....I just get on and prepare for the next guest and continue to make money!

Kanokkan, I am sorry this has happened to you but, when things don't work out, don't expect too much support from Airbnb....you may get it, many do, but equally you may not!  

Cheers.....Rob

Kanokkan0
Level 4
Bangkok, Thailand

And I am even more pissed that they don't show me the respect to atleast clarify and justify their decisions and now they are just ignoring me.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Thanks @Kanokkan0 for the heads up. If anyone doesn’t like our pool, I will time stamp photos and ask them to mention their concern in writing on the Airbnb message site. So I can have documentation. 

😞

Cathie

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

We have a pool but haven't had any guests  disappointed with it. We have a pool service come once a week to do the chemicals, filter and heater cleanings. We live on property so I clean and take care of it the other days.