How Do I Get Invitation To Super Strict Cancellation Policy Group?

Jennifer62
Level 4
Montclair, NJ

How Do I Get Invitation To Super Strict Cancellation Policy Group?

Given the recent changes, would like to know what the criteria is for selection/invitation. Sounds very dodgy to me from what I can read on the boards, elitist and possibly discriminatory, all things AirBNB is supposed to be against.

20 Replies 20
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

You must have 6 or more listings to be invited it's usually just property managers that get invited. I don't know of any home owners that have one or two listing being included.

This doesn't make a lot of sense. AirBNB wasn't founded for property managers in fact they used to discourage them. So one person with one special property in a market with seasonal needs? Just out of luck? How is this fair to individuals? Why would property managers get preference over individuals? This almost seems actionable. It's preferential treatment for some hosts over others. I have just as much need for super strict as a property manager, if not more. 

I have 14 listing and have never received an invitation to this and was just refused by airbnb... 

Letitia, where did you hear that you must have 6 or more listings to be invited to Super Strict?

I think someone gave you inaccurate information.

Fred (who runs the amazing Bird Island) has Super Strict 60 cancellation, and that is his only listing.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4869137

@Matthew0 He has been grandfathered in as an older host who opted for it in the begining of his listing pre 2016 I believe was the timeframe I was given. I talked to 2 different people about this via phone support and now the only people given the option are those with at least 6 listings usually property managers. 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Basically it is a secret, I have read several conflicting requirements so who knows.

David
Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

I guess it all comes down to who you know and how valuable Airbnb deems your property to be. Just curious: Who decides which hosts get to work under various favorable terms and policies that gives them a distinct professional advantage over other listings? 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

It is not something that personally bothers me but I have read many posts over time from people who did not get it and who did, along with the general guidance I thought I knew what the requirements were but seems to have changed. 

A few months ago there was an issue that caused me to check the Host, a German employee of what I toolk to be a major German letting company, they had basically copied their standard conditions on to their listing many of which went against AABB terms.

They had super strict and no way their listings qualified, so....

David
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Jennifer, I am a host and one who wants to help people, but seriously, I don't like the sound of you!

You want to know how you can retain a potential guests money if they don't use your service come what may!

You accuse some practices on this platform as being 'dodgy'!

You sound angry making statements that some aspects of this platform should be 'actionable'!

I don't know if you belong here Jennifer! You have a lovely listing but....you don't write like a lovely host!

You condemmed yourself more in two sentences than I could have in half a set of 'Funk and Wagnells'!

Cheers....Rob

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The sequence of events how I got Super Strict 60 in my first year: Upon coming to the realization that my guests required months of preparations to be able to come to my place (island in a foreign country), a cancellation that doesn't occur months ahead of arrival will be nearly impossible to re-fill on shorter notice than 2 months. I applied for it and they approved it. 

Also, the fact Airbnb featured my place in their advertising caused my bookings to be so far in advance (~2 years), imagine how many life changes do happen to people's life over a span of two years,  thus the chance of cancellations would be extremely high,  if not 'helped' somewhat with a Super Strict 60 policy.

And yes, not too hard to figure out how much Airbnb holds on the average on a $500+ a night place solidly booked with them 2-years ahead.  

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

I think that is what Jennifer is asking - How one applies. I'm curious as well. My listing is the only non-professionally managed Airnb listing in the area; Airbnb has sent me stats showing I am out performing these property managed listings by 520%. I think I could make a case for having the Super Strict 30 / 60 Cancellation policy available to me. Is there an online application form or...?

Jennifer62
Level 4
Montclair, NJ

Thanks to everyone who tried to answer the question, and yes Rebecca, that is exactly what I'd like to know: How can you apply? I'm going to take the time next week to call Customer Service and see what they will do.

Some background on me: I'm an artist and I work with an East Coast museum that has a large Native American collection. I'm helping them organize a trip this year to Santa Fe for Indian Market; I collect and support younger artists and I volunteer for a lot of arts related programs both at home and in Santa Fe.  One of the reasons I bought my little house is because it had historical roots that spoke to me: its former owner in the 1900's was a man who was the first director of the NM Art Museum and a well known painter. He used the house to host traveling artists. 

AirBNB has unilaterally decided to change the cancellation policies hosts are allowed to offer (which guests are free to accept or not, so no one is twisting their arm if they chose super strict, they can purchase travel insurance which many do for expensive vacations or book another property with a less strict policy) but AirBNB is allowing some hosts to offer stricter policies. This seems at odds with trying to treat everyone fairly in a hosting economy. 

I offer the best of everything, from sheets to shampoo, great wifi, custom printed cards, usually a welcome bottle of wine or flowers,  a personable friend who greets them, a guide to all the art in our home and how and where to find it.  I help them plan their trips if they want help. 

Rob ... I read your bio. You sound like a great host with a guest studio. You're retired. I'm sorry to hear about your wife's health. Your situation is very very different from mine. I'm disappointed you needed to post something so judgemental, so personal. But yes, I did sound angry. 

AirBNB is not the company it was, it is a very big business that is making serious money. Over the past two years  it has become very stat driven, constantly hectoring hosts to lower their prices. And, they definitely changed the landscape for people like myself who own one very special property they wanted to share. They also encouraged Santa Fe to offer 750 new short term rental permits when there used to be just 350 of them which created a lot more competition. I had a legal short term rental. I paid my taxes. It's been a bit hard to deal with a global company that decided to alter the economic reality of my hosting experience.

The company has also been very quick to support guest rights. This is important when it comes to issues like Fair Housing and non-discrimination. I  just think they need to think a little more carefully about treating all their hosts with the same care, with the same transparency, and fairness. 

I agree completely

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Come to think about it, I wrote to a supervisor (the name escapes me) and stated my case, then I got an 'official invitation' as if I was selected out of the kindness of their hearts. 😉

One thing I would suggest, demonstrate (profit motive) how it would be beneficial to Airbnb (not the host) to grant it.