How detailed should I be in a bad review?

Julie554
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

How detailed should I be in a bad review?

I just had a bad experience with some recent guests. I don't like the idea of leaving a bad review but it's an honest reflection of our experience with them. Is it worth it? Does anybody read them?  I note that they don't have negative published reviews from others so I'm not sure why it was so bad with us. Please also note that we have more than 150 reviews and are sitting on 4.9. We provide many extras in the apartment and provided this family with an extra bed at no charge.

Here's what I'd like to say but would love some feedback on how to make this more effective.

"This couple and their children were friendly and keen to make good use of the space during their almost two weeks stay. They were quiet and never rude to our face. Unfortunately, we were left feeling like we were being taken advantage of on a daily basis. Apart from the normal supplies we provide, these guests seemed to want MORE all the time. As a rule, we provide generously for our guests and reviews of our apartments can attest to that, but this family were very different to other guests we have hosted previously. From the moment they arrived, rather than taking responsibility for purchasing their own consumables they wanted more, including rubbish bags (which they didn’t even use in the apartment - used instead to send supplies back with another guest), toilet paper (5 rolls), shampoo, conditioner, body wash (we had already supplied guest sized bottles) and coffee bags (there was instant coffee in the apartment but I provide some coffee bags with their initial supplies which also included fruit, eggs, milk, lemon curd, juice, butter, bagels and basic kitchen food items). While this was unusual, they went further and requested packing tape, even requesting more when they had used up all of the roll we supplied them with. On one occasion they wanted my husband to fix one of the children’s shoes (yet they were able to buy oysters and prawns for their meals - something we can't afford to do). Even though we supplied reusable shopping bags for their use, they found some outside my own kitchen that they liked better and wanted to use those instead. As if that wasn’t enough, they took our cushions and a seating squab with them to a picnic in the park (something even we wouldn’t do) and helped themselves to packing boxes that we had stored in our personal carport, an area which was not available for them to use. The icing on the cake for me was when I found one of the children’s books that we had provided for their use in the apartment in one of the boxes that they were packing up into the car to take with them. I suspect also that they may have helped themselves to some other things, particularly my teaching resources that were stored in the carport that they had obviously looked through. And to say thanks, the apartment was left in a disgusting state; noodles on the floor, toothpaste on the wall of the lounge, stains on the linen and drawing in the guest book. Oh, and for the first two nights in the apartment they even had another adult guest with them whom they had not declared when they booked or talked to us about and had not paid for until we requested it. One time my daughter caught the woman in our house uninvited. Her response was that she was ‘just looking’. Reviews of this family from other Airbnb hosts do not reflect any of these difficulties and I accept that we could have been more assertive in relation to boundaries when the first difficulties arose, but we have never had these challenges with any of our other guests and frankly we were unprepared and surprised. This is the only time I’ve had to leave a negative review about any of our guests and I don’t feel comfortable about it but I think new hosts should be aware. While we remained friendly to them during their stay, I would not welcome these guests again."

16 Replies 16
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Julie554Really sorry to hear that you had such horrible guests who took advantage of your hospitality. They do sound extremely demanding. I am always a proponent of the thoughtful honest review, and I would definitely encourage you to review bad guests truthfully. 

I would encourage you to cut your review here down quite a bit. You definitely need to remove any mention of them stealing your stuff: that will certainly be removed by Airbnb if they complain about it. I also certainly wouldn't mention their eating habits. 

I would really cut it down to the crux of the issue: something like, 

"This couple and their children were friendly and keen to make good use of the space during their almost two weeks' stay. However, I found them to be extremely demanding as guests, and we had to spend more time than usual cleaning the space after their departure. I would not host them again."

And it sounds like you already know this, but definitely in future I would advise saying no both earlier and more often. You can say no and still get a good review: there is nothing wrong with establishing clear boundaries. A little kindness can go a long way, but in the case of this type of more, more, more guest, it's probably not going to get you anywhere anyways because they expect it. 

That is fantastic advice Alexandra, thanks!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Julie554I agree with @Alexandra316.

While this is not a nice experience at all and these sorts of guests would have driven me mad (I have hosted a very similar sounding couple), you need to cut down the review a lot. It does help though to type it all out and post on here for advice, so you have done the right thing! It also helps to let your emotions cool down for a few days (not sure how much time you have left to leave the review).

@Alexandra316's review suggestion is good, but if you feel like you need to go into more detail, you could mention that they "broke some important house rules, like bringing unauthorised guests onto the property," or that "they did not treat our furnishings with care,"

I would go as far as to be more specific with "I found them extremely demanding as guests." This could be a bit vague given that certain demands might seem normal to one host and not to another. I recently read a host complaining on the CC that a guest used her kitchen. Even though she had specified the kitchen was available to guests, she didn't actually mean it and only did it to get more views. I can understand the guest not being happy with this, but she thought he was being demanding.

You could write, "Despite providing the guests with plenty of supplies, we found them to be extremely demanding, e.g. expecting us to provide packing materials or to fix their children's shoes." As a host, that would be enough to let me know these guests are a no-go.

@Huma0I like your review suggestions too, Huma. My concern is always that when you make specific allegations regarding guest behaviour, you always seem to run the risk of having a review pulled if a guest decides to be a squeaky wheel and they get an obliging customer service rep, specifically when it comes to allegations of damage or bringing extra guests. It's probably safe to mention the packing material and bizarre shoe repair request. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Alexandra316

Yes, I have heard that there are some instances when Airbnb will remove your review, so you have to word stuff carefully. However, I've not had a review removed yet. Then again, I've not left many negative ones. 

I have definitely left comments like, "broke some important house rules"  or "there were some serious issues around communication and following house rules" though, without going into the specifics. I also recently left this review for some guests:

"X and Y were friendly and cheerful and told me everything was great during their stay, but then changed their tone. The trouble started when I discovered some damage they caused. I understand that accidents happen, which is why I generously offered to cover it with my own home insurance, but their response was disappointing. They claimed that if they had broken something, it must have been “just waiting to happen”, which is neither true (as confirmed by the engineer who fixed the problem) nor a very responsible attitude to take. If you read my reviews for other guests you will see that I rarely criticise, but these girls were generally careless, e.g. leaving the front door unlocked, bathroom taps running etc. I wish them well but think they are more suited to hostel style accommodation than a home with expensive furniture and fittings."

I guess the guests did not ask for it to be removed, maybe because they didn't know they could ask, but more likely because they knew full well they were guilty!  I think the main thing here is that I did not ask them for money and did not open a resolution claim. From what I understand, the reason Airbnb will remove a review (host's or guest's) that mentions damages, is if a dispute had been opened. If none has been, then I think it is safe to mention it, but I could be wrong.

Julie554
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

Good to know, thanks Huma.

Julie554
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

great tips thanks Huma!

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Julie554, sorry to hear you had a bad experience with these guests. I agree with @Alexandra316 and @Huma0 that you should most definitely leave an honest review and YES, other hosts do read them! They may not have other bad reviews because many hosts don't like leaving them. However, your review is probably way too long and I would also agree that you need to cut it down. I would say something along the lines of:

XXX and her family were friendly and quiet during their 2-week stay. However, despite providing them with plenty of supplies, we felt that their continual demands for extra goods and services were unreasonable. They did not treat our furnishings with care and helped themselves to several of our household items without permission, including packing boxes, a children's book and some teaching resources. An unauthorised guest stayed for part of the time and the apartment was left in a very poor state with food on the floor, toothpaste on the living room wall, stains on the linen and drawings in the guest book. I would not recommend these guests to future hosts.

Julie554
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks Kath (love Albany btw)

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kath9

Good review! I think that covers the main points without being too long.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Julie554  I definitely read reviews of guests, always. I also cross-reference to see what kind of reviews they tend to leave for their hosts. This group sounds incredibly irritating, sorry you had to put up with that. Next time, if you have demanding guests like these (of course, there's nothing wrong with trying to accomodate the odd request for something minor, but continual requests for "extras" doesn't bode well), try to be nice but firm- "I'm sorry, we don't provide that", "I'm sorry, I don't have any, there's a store down the street that sells packing tape",  "I'm sorry, but I don't have time to repair your child's shoes- there's a shoe repair on xx street".

Kath, Huma and Alexandra have given you some good suggestions to condense the review. A few sentences is plenty and works to warn other hosts, who can read between the lines. I do think it's a good way to get your frustrations out, to write all the gritty details, but just for your own venting, not for the submitted review.

Thanks Sarah, yes it felt good to vent! I'm ready to tone it down now though as you have all given me some great advice. I like your clear but assertive responses also. I think it was such a surprise that we often said OK. I noticed that when I said No, they started asking my husband instead. hmmmmm

Following all of your great advice and succinct wording, I think I'll go with

"This couple and their children were friendly and quiet during their almost two weeks' stay. However, despite providing them with plenty of supplies, I found some of their requests demanding e.g. expecting us to provide packing materials or to fix their children's shoes. An unauthorised guest stayed for part of the time and the apartment was left in a very poor state with food on the floor, toothpaste on the living room wall, stains on the linen and drawings in the guest book, meaning we had to spend more time than usual cleaning after their departure. I would not host them again."

Thanks for all of your help.

@Julie554 sounds great. Hopefully they give you a good review for going above and beyond.