How do I avoid a bad review ?

Deborah103
Level 4
New York, NY

How do I avoid a bad review ?

I clean, am friendly, and I still get a bad review-sometimes.  How do I avoid a bad review ?   Deborah

7 Replies 7

Deborah,

Building a relationship with a guest before they arrive is probably the best way. Give them the information they will need to have a good time, avoid hazards, suggestions for resources available, and especially try to give them an honest picture of what to expect so they are not disappointed. 

I've been an Airbnb host for years, a SuperHost now, we have hundreds of reviews, most very positive but then there's that one guest (out of many hundreds, mind you) who just does not know how to be happy or appreciative. For them, "ain't no way" as the old song goes, to please them. If their bad review contains untruths or gross exaggerations, I respond as politely and graciously and briefly as I can to set the record straight for other potential guests who may read it (not to change that sort of complaining guest's mind; as I said, "ain't no way").

And then there are guests who did experience something unexpected, broken, or circumstances beyond anyone's control. When that happens, I address it on the spot and tell the guest I will refund their payment and even call Airbnb to explain and in some cases Airbnb will even refund Airbnb's fees (if it doesn't happen often and if the situation justifies it). Then the guest feels their situation has been rectified, to the best of our ability.

And then a guest may mention in a review that something didn't work and when I investigate, I find the guest is being truthful. So I respond to thank them for alerting us and that the repair has already happened or is in process.

I hope this helps. Kathy

Dear Kathy,

Thankyou for your kind words.  I am doing much better now with my reviews- all 4 and 5 star ratings. 

I notice a pattern with my guests and their reviews.  If they are miserable people; then they give me a miserable review, and if they are positive people; then they give me a positive review.  Deborah

Ramakrishna0
Level 3
Chennai, India

Dear Deborah:

Good question you have raised.  I have 2 listings and we are generally occupied through the year. But we are new in the sense that we started the short term rental only from October 2015. We have more than 40 guests so far via airbnb and each of them have given us a raving review.  Each of them have given us 5 star, where as in our location hosts struggle to get about 60% 5 star review. You could look at our listing as a testimony of my statement. 

I have no doubt you are clean and your place is good. But the point is your guest also need to see your place is clean and you are nice! That is the PR side of the business. The question you have to ask yourself are:

(1) how close am I to the customer? 

(2) does he see a problem when there is none?

(3) am I seeing myself as a victim or do I see myself as a business person?

(4) am I staying in touch with the customer? That is immediately after the booking (by way of phone message, emails etc), and checking with the guest whether they are comfortable.

(5) are you asking the guest in a subtle way, whether he could give you a 5 star review so that the other customers could be benefitted if this guest gives a good review!

(6) You could also consider promoting some offers of your own. For example, you could leave a note in the property that this guest would get a gift voucher which he or his referal could use, if he gives a good review. (I must say, this was never done by us)

Hope I am of useful in terms of my suggestions to you. 

My email ID is: rkay1952@gmail.com

If you think it is worthwhile to chat further, you are at liberty to contact me. 

Best,

RK

Emmanuel33
Level 1
Dublin, Ireland

Hi Deborah, 

Great question you have there.

It's true that some guest's expectations sometimes do not meet their standards.

I always ask my guests to openly talk to me and raise an issue (or ask a question) as soon as possible. I also tell them that it's better for themselves and for me, as I'm proposing to help if needed.

I do not hesitate to clearly say that it's better said face to face than having a bad surprise in the review.

Additionally, I sometimes also explain the star system to my guests, highlighting how different a 4 is from a 5.

Have a lovely day!

EC

Thanks for your suggestions Emmanuel.  I have begun explaining in detail the Airbnb rating system to guests, and since then I have been getting only 4 and 5 star ratings.  Deborah

Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

Hi @Deborah103  I've been hosting for six years and have a lot of reviews, and I'm super lucky to have very few negative reviews.   I took a look at your profile and have some suggestions:

1) update your photo to show a picture of you, not your cat.   You probably have the cat as profile to indicate THERE IS A CAT HERE, as I see that one reviewer mentioned it, and you reminded htem that you have it noted in your listing.  But I think there has to be a picture of you in your profile, and emphasis of your cat in the description.     If I have an inquiry from a guest without a profile picture, I ask them to update the profile as it's important to me that I know who will arrive.  I'm sure most guests feel the same about the host picture.

2) You have more than one review mentioning the cleanliness issue.   Is it possible that your standard of cleanliness is more relaxed, and the guests expectations are higher?  You have to be absolutely spotless clean when having guests in, and that includes daily changes/regular scooping of litter, removal of hair?    If guests are warmly welcomed into an immaculately cleaned and fresh smelling apartment, that's half the battle.

3) It's natural that we can get a bit frustrated with some guests, but we have to be like actors, and make each guest think that they are the most unique and beautiful butterfly that we've ever met.   It's harder for you as you're in such close quarters.   Is it an option to allow guests to control the A/C at night (for example) and you control it during the day?   I find that most of my guests didn't like that I controlled the temp remotely via my Nest thermostat, and they mentioned to me that it was a hassle to have to call me when they wanted it cooler.  I finally gave in and unlocked it, and people seem to be much happier.  I haven't seen any uptick in energy consumption so it was a false sense of economy that I had.

I hope these suggestions help - it's always good to go back and re-read reviews when you're having a calm and reflective moment, and see what suggestions that you can take from them.

Hello Maria,

Thanks for your suggestions.  For the cleanliness issue, I started telling my guests that I clean between guests, but that during their stay, they will have no room service, and they need to clean up after themselves.  Now, I get 4 and 5 ratings for cleanliness.  Deborah