How do I make sure my guests do not take my organic expensive shampoo, conditioner and body wash?

Caroline2213
Level 2
null

How do I make sure my guests do not take my organic expensive shampoo, conditioner and body wash?

I buy from a boutique near my AIRBNB. Guests get 10% discount at boutique

Hello.  I recently became a host and I absolutely love it!!   We have a lovely organic boutique 2 blocks away from our AIRBNB.  I am offering organic shampoo, conditioner and body wash that is high end.   I did not buy travel size but mid size.   I was going to put a framed note on wall of bathrooms nicely stating please leave the toiletries for our next guests....they will get a 10% discount at the store as I have an agreement with the owner.  Any advice AIRBNB tribe?

27 Replies 27
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Caroline2213 

Caroline, a very wise person said to me when I decided to be a short term rental host, "Don't put anything out there you are not prepared to lose!"

Guests will consider whatever is there is for their convenience, after all they are paying you good money for the privilege of using your facility, they expect value.

Make your listing appealing but....utilitarian, don't provide anything high end that they can remove.

I provide an electric bed for them with massage function but, they can't walk out the door with that!

I provide a cheese plate for every guest.......

Screenshot_2021-04-13-14-46-23-68.png

But the cost of this is built into my listing amount on an averaging basis so, if a particular guest wants to take the lot with them, so be it, it doesn't happen often and I don't get upset about it.

Caroline, most guests are not going to remember you for your high end toiletries, they will just remember that toiletries were supplied but, opportunists will take advantage of you if you give them the chance.

If I was in your position I would provide literature stating that certain outstanding toiletry products are available to your Airbnb customers at a 10% discount but keep what you supply for guest use to the regular supermarket proprietary lines.....after all, that is all they are expecting! 

Cheers........Rob  

Jenny
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Your cheese plate photos always make me so happy, @Robin4 😍

You're invited to our 6th Month of Celebration!  Join the party by clicking here!
Can’t find what you’re searching for?
Click
start a conversation to ask the Airbnb Community! 

Caroline2213
Level 2
null

Thank you so much AIRBNB community.  Wow. So many wonderful ideas and food for thought.  I wanted to mention I am also trying to support our local community by using the products.  Great info.   I think I’m going to hang a sign regarding the product with a gracious request to keep in place.   Also Rob from Australia I live your cheese plate idea!    I am so very grateful I have this community to refer to!  Thank you all so much!    Happy hosting!😊

Jenny
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Let us know how you get on, @Caroline2213! I hope the suggestions work!

We're really pleased you're here - hope to see you posting again soon!

Jenny

You're invited to our 6th Month of Celebration!  Join the party by clicking here!
Can’t find what you’re searching for?
Click
start a conversation to ask the Airbnb Community! 

Sue174
Level 3
Ottawa, Canada

I agree with @Marcia590 . The dispenser isn’t as chic looking but solves your problem immediately. You could even ask the store to provide you with the cute labels to slip into a frame so guests know which products they are using (“We proudly use XYZ shampoos and Conditioners from ABC company down the street. Ask for your 10% discount…”). I have also used my label maker and stuck one on each bottle: “DO NOT REMOVE FROM HOME”. Not as effective but it will make it clear it isn’t a parting gift. If it still goes missing, then @Patti-And-Marty0 are correct—it becomes just another cost of doing business. 

Patti-And-Marty0
Level 7
East Fremantle, Australia

Hi @Caroline2213 

I also offer high end shampoo etc and I have the largest pump bottles I can get, harder to fit in a suitcase I suppose. If someone really wants to steal it they will, a 10% discount isn't going to prevent it. In 6 years I've had one or two go missing. Consider it a cost of doing business.

Marcia590
Level 2
Jamaica

@Caroline2213 . Hi. Caroline. You can’t stop guests from taking things that you don’t want them to take unfortunately. I don’t know how your shampoo, etc are packaged. But maybe you can look into installing dispensers instead and placing your product in there. This way, if they really like it they will have no choice but to purchase it from the store.

Explore Resource Center articles

Making your home ready for guests
Tips from Airbnb plus hosts: How to add thoughtful touches
Supporting guests during their stay