How do you get guests to read the listing?

Bente0
Level 1
Copenhagen, Denmark

How do you get guests to read the listing?

We have been Airbnb hosts during several years, and had thousands of guests in our two rooms in our appartment. And we have had the same problems all the time: 

Though it is very clearly written 
1. how to get to our house from the airport (Copenhagen) by train
2. which doorbell to use, with our name on
3. that our appartment is on the fourth floor without access to an elevator
4. that we do not serve breakfast
5. that guests can keep their luggage the day of departure after check-out-time
6. that guests should live as sustainable as we do and turn off the radiator, when opening the windows in their room

We have the same irritating experiences again and again:
1. Guests write to ask how to get from the airport, or just og another - and more complicated way with higher risks to get lost - suggested by Google Maps
2. Don't know which doorbell to use and write messages like "We are standing in front of your door, but which doorbell?"
3. Are surprised finding out that they have to carry their luggage to the fourth floor
4. Asks when they can get served breakfast
5. Wake us up in the morning to ask if they possibly can keep their luggage at us after check-out-time
6. That the windows are opened and the radiator is on maximum heating, when they have left

Grrrrrrr!!!!

What do we do??

Kind regards, 
Bente & Erik

2 Replies 2
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

I spotted one glitch in your listing - it says property type is bed and breakfast - no wonder they expect breakfast to be served. You need to change that to private room. Suggest a nearby cafe for breakfast - that should be a hint.  

Since the 4th floor without elevator is an issue - tell them before you accept.  This way there will be no surprises.  Guests from the far east can sometimes be a challenge and do not fully understand the concept.  Personally I only accept them occasionally as they are really demanding and need a lot of follow up and likely to leave funny ratiings. Make sure they understand it is a private home with shared facilities before you accept.  It may take some more work initially from your side, but in the end there will be less room for surprises and your ratings will improve. 

Is there any way to mark your doorbell with a red dot or other easily spotted marking. 

Be very clear in your house rules about the heating/open windows issue.

How do you get your guests to read the listing - keep it as short and as accurate as possible.

Tiare-and-Alfi0
Level 2
Saint Augustine, FL

I have  always go over the basics in my response and I never accept a reservation until prospective guests says they accept my limitations.  I have guests surprised we don't have a washer/dryer, arrived with pets etc.  Until I started listing my main items up front.  Better to underpromise and over deliver when they arrive and attept to manage their expectations in advance.  But some guests are always gonna be difficult.