How do you handle lying about number of guests?

Michelle1648
Level 4
Nova Scotia, Canada

How do you handle lying about number of guests?

I just purchased an active Air B&B and its pretty much booked for the summer.  I am finding that guests have booked one number but are bringing a different number.  The place really only fits 4 adults comfortably but I allow 6 (if they like separate small twin/day  beds).  Right now there are 7 in my Air B&B and the reservation says 4 😕 

7 Replies 7
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Michelle1648 I would let them know that only 4 can stay and the other 3 to find alternative accommodation or all 7 could go. But I am at the property so I have control of who comes and goes. Maybe install a camera on the entrance and make sure you acknowledge it in the listing description. Also text guests after they book to confirm people that will stay and let them know that their reservation will be terminated if they bring additional guests. Also if you decide to cancel their reservation don't do it yourself, contact Airbnb with evidence and have them cancel for you. In each of these cases you are most likely to get a bad review so texting them after they book would be your best option in trying to prevent this.

Also you could consider charging a flat fee and maybe sticking with 4 guests if that is how many can sleep comfortably. 

Can people leave a review if you cancel their reservation beforehand?  They have not stayed at your place yet so I would hope they cannot leave a review.  I just cancelled this one, not only 7 people but a big dog 😕 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Michelle1648 

Michelle, provided you cancelled before the scheduled day the stay was to commence they will not be offered the opportunity to review you. But any time from midnight local time on the day of the stay a cancellation will still result in them being able to leave a review.

I hope you had CX cancel the stay rather than do it yourself. If you did cancel yourself get onto CX and explain to them that the guest had no regard for your House Rules....wanted to arrive with 7,  not the booked 4 and wanted to arrive with a dog, which is also against your house rules.

Airbnb will remove it as a host cancellation and credit it a neutral cancellation so it will not affect your stats.

Make sure you do that quickly Michelle.

Cheers......Rob

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

Contact the guests telling them they need to pay for their extra 3 guests or they will have to leave immediately, tell them you are contacting Airbnb.  Contact Airbnb telling them the same. Ask Airbnb the way they prefer you to initiate the extra charge. They will probably say to use the 'Change Booking' option.

You shouldn't be hosting 7 when only 4 have booked - especially as your maximum occupancy is 6.

In future, cover this option in your House Rules so that guests are aware of the extra charges involved.

Michelle1648
Level 4
Nova Scotia, Canada

I emailed every future guest and asked how many and if they smoked or had pets because I just found out the last guests not only had too many people, they smoked (albeit outside but filled many beer bottles and left them for me!) and there is pet hair in the cottage.   One of the guests said 7 when they also booked for AND they have a dog but it will be left in their pull trailer.  Yea right, on a hot day left in a trailer? I cancelled their booking.   Reading your responses made me realize I am at the mercy of recommendations so if someone is not abiding by the rules they will be cancelled.  Thank you for your responses, they are helping me with the learning curve. 

@Michelle1648 

They will not be able to leave review. But you will get an automatic review from the system indicating that you canceled the guest reservation.

I saw that hat you are a Superhost now. In the next evaluation, your Superhost will be removed. And you will not be eligible for getting Superhost until one year later besides paying $100 fine. Your major task is to call Airbnb support and tell them the reason you cancel the booking and wish they would consider not penalizing you for the cancellation.

you should have call Airbnb support and ask them to cancel the reservation for you to avoid the penalty.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Michelle1648  If you're getting a lot of these kind of rule breakers, which it sounds like you are, it's not enough to just ask them how many people will be coming, etc. You have to word it in such a way that they will be afraid to break your rules. "Hi XX, Just double-checking that there will only be 5 of you coming, as stated on your booking. Arriving with extra guests or letting them in later will void my insurance and I will have to ask any unbooked guests to leave, so just want to make sure we're all clear on that, so check-in and stay will go smoothly for you." 

Same kind of thing with the pets, etc. Friendly, professional, and firm about your rules.

It actually kind of sounds like the host you inherited all these guests from was really inept at vetting renters. Probably just let them all Instant Book with any messaging communication, checking their reviews, etc. You'll probably have to be really diligent with the bookings that were already made, and vet all the new renters well yourself before accepting their bookings.

And as other hosts have said, you can't just be cancelling bookings, you'll receive a barrage of penalties. Try to head off bad scenes and rule breakers through messaging, if they say they're bringing a dog, even if you don't allow pets, contact Airbnb, ask them to cancel it penalty free, looking at your message exchanges to confirm they don't want to abide by the house rules. 

A lot of people think that doing an Airbnb will be an easy way to make money. It isn't. It's hard work and requires a lot of different skills. Cheers and good luck.