How does this review sound? Guest burnt the table and the countertop and has declined to pay.

Samantha458
Level 2
Lake Country, Canada

How does this review sound? Guest burnt the table and the countertop and has declined to pay.

Hi all,

I'd like to leave a polite but honest review on some recent guest that we hosted and am hoping for feedback on how what I have in mind sound/comes across.  They put a hot frying pan on the wood dining room table and burnt it.  It needs to be sanded and refinished to fix it.  There is tile built into the centre of the table that they easily could have placed the frying pan on.  They also caused a less severe burn on the laminate counter top that bubbled in a couple spots and can't be fixed.  They have declined to pay for the damage done so i'v involved Airbnb.  Our kitchen is less then a year old and its dishartening to be dealing with guests like this already.

How does this sound?

Guests group was friendly and cleaned up after themselves but did not respect the property and did not notify us of major damage done. They were not our ideal guest and are perhaps better suited in a hotel.

Thanks everyone

18 Replies 18
Samantha458
Level 2
Lake Country, Canada

Thank you again everyone for your help and suggestions.  You are a wonderful community of people!

Today is the day I post my review.  First time in leaving  a bad one, wish me luck and hopefully not an aweful review in return!

Damage was done to the dining room table and laminate countertop with a hot frying pan. Regrettably, I would decline to host them in the future. 

@Samantha458 — it's good, concise and to the point. And you are brave, I chose not to leave any review of a Guest who damaged our place, rather than risk a revenge review in return.

You could always wait until 13 days, 23 hours and 55 minutes after the Guest checkout. Leaving the Guest not enough time to respond (it's a 14-day window). I have read of Hosts doing this...

It's egregious that Hosts can't file a damages claim without the threat of a revenge review. Or that Hosts can't mention a damages claim in a review because Airbnb will then remove it. I wish Airbnb was more supportive of the Hosts who make their platform what it is.

Thank you!

My husband says the same thing but I'm determined to warn others and have them face some sort of consecuence.  

I have an alarm set for 13 days, 23 hours after their stay! Haha.  Hope it works to avoid a bad review out of spite.

There is definitely a problem with the review system the way it is.  When we have had other guests who wern't my favorite I have just let it slide and not reviewed them rather then risk a bad one for us.  There has to be a better way!

Hi Samantha - I had the exact thing happen at our place this week and wondered - did you ever get any compensation from the guest or did Air BnB help you out at all? The surface is still usable, but looks really ugly. Thanks! Dawn