How to deal with low value ratings

Nathan92
Level 2
Estes Park, CO

How to deal with low value ratings

The only poor rating I get semi-consistently is on value. I still have an overall rating as 4.8 and am a superhost, but I tend to get 4 stars on value about 20 percent of the time. I don't really know what to do about this -- I use a pricing app like BeyondPricing and my place is still booked 100% from May to October. I live in a highly seasonal mountain resort town, my prices are lower than the (terrible) hotels in the area, and I'm still booked solid. I don't know how to preempt the value rating... I mean, it's a waaaay better value than anything else in this town, and you'd honestly be lucky to even find a room to begin with in the high season. 

Does anhyone have any hosting tips to set expectations and/or educate guests that their room actually IS a good value in the market that it's in?

30 Replies 30

Nathan, It's not about what you want, it's about what the guest may want!

Remember, it's there stay, not yours. You can never predict the real reason why they are coming to your property. Yes, they may love nature, hiking followed by a relaxing time in the hot tub. However, they may also want to watch the game or news on the TV. You need to think outside the square.  Also, if your photos are out of date, then I would strongly recommend that you update them to avoid any further confusion.

Good luck hosting my friend!

My apologies for my spelling of "their"  This is what happens when you rush!

@Nathan92 am I remembering it right that all the stars are shown there, but the only one that really counts for anything (superhost) is the overall score? In that way, the value ding is an information point more than anything that hurts your listing.

Also, I think @Willow3 is right on. There isn't anything wrong with the place, but it is a few rugs, paintings, doors and color coordination  steps away from matching the stunning surroundings. So, I'd scroll thru some ads for the nicest mountain hotels in CO and see what you can copy from their style. Someone with an eye for design and $500 at HomeGoods could have your place looking much more expensive than it does now in under an afternoon. It may not be so much that they overpaid for what they got, but that the space is about 80% of what it could be and even if your guests are no good at design themselves they know that it isn't living up to its true potential.

@Nathan92   I am going to hazard a guess. Your listings look great and with that, regardless of price or stated amenities, come unrealistic expectations of so called  "creature comforts" such as TV, automatic coffee maker, maybe slippers, umbrella's etc.

I know some hosts who leave a note asking guests for recommendations and suggestions that would have added to their experience, and things that detracted.   Because it's not invasive many do leave suggestions. Maybe that could help you find out what "value" is missing.

Lyndsey2
Level 10
Stonington, CT

I live (and host) in a tourism-heavy town. I see over and over again that tourists' views on value are often colored by where they come from. They don't compare prices throughout our town, just to their prices back home, or to other place they've been. The folks who are well-traveled or from more expensive towns will review restaurants and say prices are fair. Others are shocked by a $12 cheeseburger and say so in their reviews. The same goes for our listings. Unless you get a guest who has really done some price-comparisons in your town, they are only judging your value based on their own experiences. I once got a review that pointed out my apartment was cheaper than local hotels and had more to offer. I still fantasize about framing it and hanging it in there. 

I think this is one of the problems of running a business in a more expensive town. The fact that you are booked regularly says more about how appropriate your pricing is. Try to ignore the arbitrary value category. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Nathan92

I would definitely update your photos.

However that isn't addressing the issue of why you are getting marked down for value.

The obvious response is that you need to ask the guests who have marked you down. Only they can tell you why they did this. You can then think about whether/how you might address matters if the same issues are coming up.

Send them a friendly note and say you want to be a five star host and want to know how you fell down on value so you can improve...in this way it doesn't sound as if you are berating them for their choices.

Some people don't understand the rating system but if you are getting five stars in other areas then there is an issue.

To be honest if you are being booked out 100% I would be looking to put prices up not down, when you have the photos redone.

@Helen3 @Nathan92, at my listing, I try to maximize "comfort" for the lowest cost possible. 

I provide no name bottled water in the fridge that I get for $1.89 a case. 

I got "spa slippers" from Amazon and I put them in a nice big wooden bowl near the front door. Putting on slippers instantly puts you at ease and transforms you into relaxation mode. The slippers cost $2 a pair. 

I buy small potato chips and granola bars in bulk and leave a few out in a basket. Cost $2

On reservations where the rate was higher or more nights booked, I'll leave a bottle of wine WITH a cork and not screw cap, that's $2.75 at the local grocery. The suggestion for "comment cards" is great. If you really want to know, just ask and the suggestion of spending $500 on some decor probably the best advice I've seen as it relates to your situation. So for about $8-$12 a reservation, I add "value". Try this and see what happens, buy a case of bottled water and put eight in the fridge. Get a case of Ramen noodles and put five packs in the pantry and I bet your guest comment on that all the time. My listing pics are old too but I'll put my listing up against any other listing in my market and I know I can compete. 

Thank you for your good input.

How could I know which guest rated what? I have had 3 guest reviews because I am new, all wrote great reviews, and said wonders  when they left. But I ended up with 4.3 in communication, 4.7 in value and 4.7 in checking in. The problem is I thought the whole thing was good. How do I get in touch to ask what particular aspect made them rate me that way.

Thank you very much for your help.

Clare-and-Coco0
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Having just found out how to see which guests have left me a low rating it was a surprise to see one guest who booked my room for her mother purely because she herself lived a few doors down gave me 3 stars for location?!!! And again a low rating for cleanliness despite my changing the bed EVERY night.

I also had another guest who was staying for a few days while she found somewhere permanent, and when she did i offered to refund her the last night as she would be leaving early. For this she has given me 3 stars for value. That's the thanks you get and makes me think twice about being flexible again.

As we always say, there are people who we can never please all of the time.

Hi Clare, It sounds like you guys have it pretty hard and very competitive in the UK. Sometimes you can do too much for people. Being kind and understanding is a good thing, but running a business is another. There are always going to be people who don't appreciate the things we do for them. However, don't let this dishearten you as there many, many good guests out there.

Good luck hosting!

Carol-Lee1
Level 9
Montevallo, AL

I read over the other comments and one thing I have to add is that those who mention discount shoppers giving a lower rating has also been my experience.  The one ding on value was from a woman who had asked for a discount which I refused.  Then she apparantly checked other locations/hotels and came back and decided to rent from me.  A very nice guest, but she gave me 4 stars for location.  Another guest I gave a discount for and against my better judgement rented to, gave me 4 stars for cleanliness.  He also had objected to the price and then shopped around and came back to me.  A guest I gave basically a free night to gave me 4 stars for value.  All my other guests who paid full price and didn't ask for or expect any extras, gave me 5 stars for everything.  I leave snacks, breakfast items, flowers, drinks...sometimes beer, juice, milk, eggs, etc.  I am new at this hosting thing and find a lot of help from these discussion boards, but I can't spend every penny on making guests expectations over the top.  I think my place is the best in at least 20 miles of this town except for the real BnB down the street and her prices are much higher.  The only other lodging place in town is a motel type short term living place that requires a 3 night stay and is more money.

Hi Carol-Lee:

Your great reviews show that you indeed are a great host.

I am new to Airbnb too, and I am feeling sad because people have told me really great things when leaving, and they either have not left reviews or left 4.3 for communication, 4.7 reviews for value, 4. 7 check in although I weas home when they arrived. I have a lot to learn...

Continue to do good things!

Keep doing what you are doing Carol-Lee and don't change a thing.  You sound like a great host!

Good luck hosting!

Karen307
Level 4
Durham, NC

There are some great thoughts and perspective in this conversation. I also find the value rating frustrating sometimes. I have only had a couple of people ding me on value. The first was a gentleman who rented from me from me twice one summer so his college-attending son could take a summer job close by. The first stay was less than a whole month and wasn't at the discounted monthly rate. I completely understand why he gave me 4 stars on value for this stay when the next stay was longer but cost less. He gave me 5 stars on value the next time.

The second time I was dinged on value was less understandable. The feedback given for the 4-star value rating was that, in view of the other fees and taxes charged by AirBNB, my rate was too high. I really don't understand this point. I was at that time (and still am) cheaper than economy hotels for more amenties, space, cleanliness, etc.  We can't let the place go for free or next to nothing because of the extra charges tacked on but out of our control. Folks who want to pay less should just stay in a cheap hotel (which might still cost more than my place.) But I try to shrug it off and hope these folks book elsewhere next time. 

Susie5
Level 10
Boston, MA

@Nathan92, in addition to the comments made by others in terms of how to jazz up your place (I'd definitely add a TV, that's a basic item these days), I immediately noticed that there is no door separating the bedroom from the living area and the futon sofa. 

Are you expecting 4 people (potentially 2 couples...) to be sharing and "interacting" (if you know what I mean) in the same large space with no privacy??  I wonder if that isn't part of the problem - lack of privacy.  Even a curtain would help, but only a little... who wants to "interact" with their partner while others are on the other side of a piece of cloth?? I might be off base here, but I think that may be your problem - there is no check box for "there was no door on the bedroom"!  The other issue might be that the futon sofa is not comfortable enough. Some futons are rock hard....

Good luck - Susie (originally from Boulder!)